Low blood sugar

Options
Does anyone know much about low blood sugar? I was diagnosed with it a couple months ago. The doc just basically told me not to go too long without food and that peanut butter crackers are a good thing to keep on hand to get my sugar up when I feel low.

Thus far I've noticed that after about 2 1/2 hours without eating anything I start feeling low and jittery and crappy. The peanut butter crackers help, but they pack 130 calories for 4 of them; which is how many it takes for me to start feeling better.

Any suggestions for a lower calorie snack to keep on hand? Real sugary snacks don't help because it makes me drop back down too quickly.

Such a pain in the derriere when you're trying to lose weight!!!

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking almonds would be good. I have a slight issue with blood sugar, not diagnosed, but I know that if I eat almonds or a fiber bar (like Fiber One) I feel better. Hope this helps!
  • Kristin77
    Options
    I've had low blood sugar issues since I was an early teen. Peanut butter and crackers works best for me, as does cheese and crackers, apple and peanut butter, sesame seed butter or hummus; you need snacks with quick sugar (fruit works well) paired with protein so you don't dip back down.
  • KarieLee
    KarieLee Posts: 10
    Options
    Ah, so is it the protein that helps it to not drop so quickly? It seems like protein helps, I just didn't understand why.

Thanks everyone, this helps!!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Dried edamame is great, and a handful of raisins for the sugar.
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    If you have a Giant Food in your area they carry Nature's Promise - I get the sea salt rice crips (in the bread aisle)
    measure out 1TB PB on 11 of them - much less fat etc that the crackers. 21 of these crips are only 120 cals, 3g fat, 0 trans, 15 carbs, 2g fiber, 1 sugar, and 8g protein. Sodium is 360mg..I only eat 11 of the crisps to keep everything down and it helps a lot. Also 4oz of OJ helps if you're in a pinch. Nothing feels worse than low blood sugar. Hope this helps