Time to bulk?

Options
2»

Replies

• jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    First off your starving yourself, so stop doing that! I went down that road to and felt like complete *kitten* on a daily basis. I'm 6'4" 210lbs and was trying to maintain 1500 cals a day. It was hell.

If you want to increase your size I say go for a bulk, but do it slow and do it smart. Find your maintenance and eat about 250 more calories for the first couple of weeks and see how your body handles that. If that goes well increase to 500 extra a day and eat as clean as possible.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First off your starving yourself, so stop doing that! I went down that road to and felt like complete *kitten* on a daily basis. I'm 6'4" 210lbs and was trying to maintain 1500 cals a day. It was hell.

If you want to increase your size I say go for a bulk, but do it slow and do it smart. Find your maintenance and eat about 250 more calories for the first couple of weeks and see how your body handles that. If that goes well increase to 500 extra a day and eat as clean as possible.

OP is averaging 2190 calories per day for the past two weeks at 157 lbs. Just clarifying this as this intake is far from starving. It's actually quite good that OP can lose around 1% BW/week at this intake.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't post much anymore, but I read your two threads and wanted to offer an endorsement on two of the posters. SideSteel and Sara will steer you straight and, if you are not already, you should check out their group (believe it is "eat, train, progress.")

I believe I was in the same boat you are about three years ago. I'm 42, 5'10", and was ~195 lbs three years ago. Managed to get down to about 175 before joining MFP which helped me hit 155. My first bulk attempt went poorly as I tended to get nervous every time I put on weight (even though I realized that was the goal) - that got me into a yo-yo of adding/cutting calories. The end result is that I gained about 11 lbs, but I'd wager only about 3lbs of that was LBM.

So I read a LOT of info on these forums (most posted by SideSteel and Sara) and came up with a more structured gameplan over the past year. Cut back down to 155 - a better looking 155 than before - and I'm now on my 2nd bulk cycle. Pushing hard on the weight gain and heavy lifting. I'm nearing 165 and, while putting on some fat, I've clearly gained much more LBM and can't wait for the spring cut to see what I will have gained.

TL;DR: Read a lot. Make a game plan. STICK TO IT.

Good luck.

Thanks, mate. Your post struck a chord! My plan is to bulk through the winter and start cutting in early March for the summer.

I would cut a bit more then do the winter bulk, main reason being from March to Summer you will not get where you want to be in time (Purely by simple maths) So I would cut until I felt underweight, then bulk.

I'm 5'9 and went from over 14 stone and didn't start my bulk until just over 10 Stone, Bulked until March to over 12 and a half, and I'm still cutting lol but I was never going to make Summer even if I was strict. I was 11 Yesterday going to stop at 10 and a half stone and then just fill out at mainenance.

Everything about bulking was good, and my body does look and feel better for it but if I would've bulked earlier I would still have that fat to lose, doesn't matter what your plan is you are still going to be eating at a deficit for the time it takes to lose that fat. Just easier to get lean, see the fat go on as you bulk, then get lean again.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    My tipping point came last week. It wasn't the feeling tired and hungry all the time, nor was it the regular waking in the small hours with my stomach rumbling...it was the fact that I was starting to get weaker in the gym. It's horrible feeling so tired, weak and hungry all the time.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just take a break if you still have some body fat to lose.

I dieted for a almost a year and became very fatigued and weak around 8 months. Took about a month at maintenance and then resumed weight loss. Felt much better and weight losses started being consistent again.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1142045-work-in-progress-may-2010-to-nov-2013

Looking at those pics, would you say that I should carry on cutting? Would you say that by looking, my body fat% is still too high before I think about bulking?

Yes, continue cutting. Your are not yet lean enough to consider a bulk. Nothing wrong with a break, but don't bulk.
    My tipping point came last week. It wasn't the feeling tired and hungry all the time, nor was it the regular waking in the small hours with my stomach rumbling...it was the fact that I was starting to get weaker in the gym. It's horrible feeling so tired, weak and hungry all the time.

It's normal to feel weaker, and actually be weaker, during a cut. There are things you can do that will help. Make sure your deficit is not excessively large, and that you consistently hit your macros. Avoid excessive exercise. Also, you may need to cut your training volume (not frequency). Though in the end, nothing will replace missing calories.
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll try and come in as close to maintenance but 100-200 under at the most for the next few weeks and see how I feel.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

OP is averaging 2190 calories per day for the past two weeks at 157 lbs. Just clarifying this as this intake is far from starving. It's actually quite good that OP can lose around 1% BW/week at this intake.

This is the biggest issue with MFP gross and net cals. I always think in gross cals yet many here post there net which can be a MASSIVE difference.

I agree with your recommendations FWIW :smile:
  • TonyStark30
    Options

Even if you had a cheat day now and again it could help, as if you go gym the next day you'll feel stronger, compared to all the training you do depleted. I eat up to Maintenance with carbs on a Sunday, train like a beast Monday and act like I'm still a beast the rest of the week until I'm tired lol
  • moya_rargh
    Options

Even if you had a cheat day now and again it could help, as if you go gym the next day you'll feel stronger, compared to all the training you do depleted. I eat up to Maintenance with carbs on a Sunday, train like a beast Monday and act like I'm still a beast the rest of the week until I'm tired lol

That's what I've decided to do, try come in as close to maintenance as possible on training days by adding some carbs before workouts so that I'm not training myself to death on empty!
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    This is me in late 2006, just after a cutting phase (I used to box, so it was ALWAYS a cutting phase!!)
    This is the physique that I want to go for, although with bigger arms and beefier shoulders - this pic is October 2006, so imagine August 2007 after a slow gain.

screenshot_2013-01-21_1947-1.jpg

My God, did I really go from THAT to the fat blubbery mess that I was in 2010!?
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    Okay - so I've upped my food intake slightly over the past couple of days - while still cutting under your good advice, of course! I feel much less tired already and I've been sleeping better over the past couple of nights.

Gone from 11st 3lbs to 11st 4lbs......and my jeans have gone baggier around the waist to the point where I had to change belts this morning.

*huh!?*
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    I got sick after hitting 11 Stone so I Had a weeks break, still trained but I Didn't watch what I was eating at all. Rehydrated and filled out, and at that point i had put on about 5-6 pounds I could see the benefits of the Bulk I did last winter, and it did look good, but at the same time I know I was not finished and probably could've lost another 10 Pounds to be as lean as I should, so that is the new goal. Bad part is I am part that and about a Stone up now lol, but I won't logg my new weight until tomorrow after actually eating back at the deficit for a day.