IUD = weight gain, or is that just an excuse?

Options

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for 6 months and gained 20 lbs. I also had mood swings, depression, dry skin and hair loss. Once i had it removed all my symptoms went away. I do not reccomend them at all anymore.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It caused my weight gain. Not an excuse, since I hadn't changed my eating/walking habits. I gained 35 lbs within two months of having it inserted, after steadily losing all of that baby weight in the six months previous.

I don't see it as being harder to lose, either. I've had my IUD out for 4 years, and I lost all of that excess (and then some!) within the past 6 months with MFP+exercise. It just took me a while to stop feeling sorry for myself and get motivated.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena. I'm on my second now and I love it!!

I mostly have no bleeding whatsoever, only every couple of months for a couple of hours, yes hours! Love it! I have no bloating, no pains and certainly didn't gain weight because of it. I gained weight while having it but that was because I ate too much and moved too little! I also lost weight with it without problems.

It's uncomfortable to put in and for the rest of the day but not incredibly painful. When I got my first one I went out on the same night and after getting the second one I moved house the same day...
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    God I am such an idiot! Sorry, I had an IUD before and it was fine. Just had a Duh moment sorry guys. But still does it have the same side effects?
    An arm implant is not an IUD (intra-uterine device). I have a mirena and have suffered no ill effects.

^This.

They work in two very different ways. The implant that you have is circulating hormones through your entire system while IUDs tend to only work locally in the uterus.

It really doesn't have the same side effects. I'm surprised that you didn't look into this and that your doctor didn't provide you with information prior to having this put in.

Nexplanon side effects: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-156597-Nexplanon+Sdrm.aspx?drugid=156597&drugname=Nexplanon+Sdrm&pagenumber=6

Under "Common Side Effects"
    Visible Water Retention
    Weight Gain
    Both of these could cause your rapid weight gain.

Mirena side effects: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-4300-LEVONORGESTREL-RELEASING+5+YEAR+SYSTEM+-+INTRAUTERINE.aspx?drugid=20420&drugname=Mirena+IU&source=0&pagenumber=6

ETA: I have had Mirena for 4.5 years now. The only side effect I've really had is that my period went away. I have no issue with that.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Mine is the Nexplanon arm implant. Not everyone puts on weight, but a percentage does and I am at the stage that I would literally remove it myself I hate it so much, but I have to wait another week to have it removed.

Anything with hormones can cause weight gain. I got the Paraguard IUD 3 years ago, which is copper & non-hormonal, and I love it. No side effects other than heavier cramping initially, but that went away too.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena coil and unfortunately am one of the few that suffered badly with side effects, I gained 21lbs in 3 weeks, had to live on 800 calories a day just to maintain weight, had so many anger issues ( I actually could have hurt someone) so had it removed, all symptoms went but am struggling to lose the weight, at least now I can eat more, some of us just can't deal with extra hormones no matter how small the dose
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Apparently some women have no issue with these devices whereas others have horrible experiences. Some women can gain on a generic of one BC pill and lose weight on a different generic for the same brand name pill, even though the active ingredients are the same.

This thread might be helpful. At last check, there are 300+ posts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/329675-did-you-lose-weight-after-having-the-mirena-taken-out
  • boe2004
    Options
    I did look into it. i had the merina before and it was fine but the dr had great difficulty putting another in and told me that i had to get a procedure done in the hospital to have it reinserted. So i went for the arm implant instead. I knew about the side effects of the merina too and i experienced none of them. I was told that there is a percentage of women experience weight gain with the arm implant, but not all, so the only way to know was to try. Ive been on the website thank you and read up about it long before this. There are possible side effects to anyone of these, im not silly enough to just go to the dr and tell him to give me one!
    God I am such an idiot! Sorry, I had an IUD before and it was fine. Just had a Duh moment sorry guys. But still does it have the same side effects?
    An arm implant is not an IUD (intra-uterine device). I have a mirena and have suffered no ill effects.

^This.

They work in two very different ways. The implant that you have is circulating hormones through your entire system while IUDs tend to only work locally in the uterus.

It really doesn't have the same side effects. I'm surprised that you didn't look into this and that your doctor didn't provide you with information prior to having this put in.

Nexplanon side effects: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-156597-Nexplanon+Sdrm.aspx?drugid=156597&drugname=Nexplanon+Sdrm&pagenumber=6

Under "Common Side Effects"
    Visible Water Retention
    Weight Gain
    Both of these could cause your rapid weight gain.

Mirena side effects: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-4300-LEVONORGESTREL-RELEASING+5+YEAR+SYSTEM+-+INTRAUTERINE.aspx?drugid=20420&drugname=Mirena+IU&source=0&pagenumber=6

ETA: I have had Mirena for 4.5 years now. The only side effect I've really had is that my period went away. I have no issue with that.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Same here. Have had Mirena since April 2011 and no effect on my weight. What has had an effect was my own laziness and eating whatever I wanted. Now that I've kicked my a** back into gear since September, I am down over 20 lbs and find that the IUD is not hindering that, or anything else at all. I plan on having another one put in as soon as this one is due to come out. But everyone responds differently to it, so YMMV.
  • amyliz810
    Options
    I use the Morina. I never had a problem. However, I'd consult your doctor. Has your diet and activity level has changed?
  • EJOY1988
    EJOY1988 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had Implanon (Implant) back in 2007 and gained about 20lbs. with it. I got it out and got pregnant immediately. I gained weight (100lbs.) during third pregnancy and after my fourth I had chosen on Mirena (IUD). I can honestly say I used Mirena as an excuse to gaining weight, but it was my pure laziness. Even though I was bloated, I don't think it made gain a significant amount of weight. It really opened my eyes up on this after I became active. I say this because even while I still had it (IUD) in when I started exercising and watching what I was eating I lost almost 40 lbs. 20 lbs. in the first two months. I had it in for three years and got it removed in April only because it was coming out. I have since then lost a combined total of 79lbs. So maybe it can cause some to gain weight, because it is a hormonal contraceptive and can affect people differently. But for me that wasn't the case so much.
  • katrkels11
    katrkels11 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I got the depo shot (I know not an IUD) and I gained probably about 30 pounds after getting it and I have had a hard time losing weight. But now that I am single I have gotten off of it and am hoping to lose that weight and my baby weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had a contraceptive implant put in about 3 months ago and have noticed myself balloon 2 sizes. My stomach looks distended and pregnant and my face is totally bloated. I am tired all the time, low esteem and energy. I have come back to MFP but am terrified to weigh myself but I know that I have put on at least 1 1/2 stones in the past few months. I don't dress to impress any more, I "cover myself up". I'm thinking of having the implant removed but im not sure if its definitely the cause of my extreme weight gain. I wasn't aware that I was eating or drinking more than usual, but then again I wasn't paying attention.

Has anyone else with a type of IUD had this problem? Did you notice a difference when it was removed? Im getting really down about this.......
    Without any other changes to my diet or exercise, I gained 5 pounds the month after I got mine and in the three years I had it, I gained about 25 and COULD NOT LOSE it, not matter what I did.

Prior to that, I'd lost 30 pounds and kept it off for two years with minimal effort. It seriously sucked. And the Mirena website does list weight gain as a side effect in a small number of users.

I dropped 8 pounds almost immediately after having it removed and I didn't make any lifestyle changes.
  • slimteak
    slimteak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena placed in one month ago today. And I absolutely love it! I haven't notice any weight gain from this device! Actually, I'm losing if that makes sense. :smile:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd Copper T IUD (they can stay in for up to 10 yrs) and I've never had any problems with weight in addition they are hormone free.

+1

I'm on my second Copper (Paraguard) as well..no hormones..my periods would last a little longer than with a hormone, but I don't have the crazy ups and downs...also I have noticed that with increased exercise activity the duration of my period has shortened. I have had no problems with weight gain and continue to lose steadily.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have an Implanon. I gained about a cup size.

If you're unhappy, it's probably time to try something else. It's not worth being miserable. Can you have estrogen? Maybe a Nuvaring would work?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd Copper T IUD (they can stay in for up to 10 yrs) and I've never had any problems with weight in addition they are hormone free.

+1

I'm on my second Copper (Paraguard) as well..no hormones..my periods would last a little longer than with a hormone, but I don't have the crazy ups and downs...also I have noticed that with increased exercise activity the duration of my period has shortened. I have had no problems with weight gain and continue to lose steadily.
    If you have naturally heavy periods, you can't do the copper. It makes periods heavier. It's why I went with Mirena after the pill was causing me to have two-week long periods.

Finally, I just had my tubes tied since I'm done with babies, anyway.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena, for a total of just over 8 years. I've lost 67 lbs since March, so it has obviously not impeded my weight loss. I'm at goal weight, and at a lower weight than I've been in 15 years.

One caveat: Without hormones, I have very short cycles- 18 to 21 days, instead of 28-30. So my ob/gyn put me on birth control pills, on top of the mirena, temporarily to see if it would help regulate me. I was on them for 3 months and each month, the 3 weeks that I was taking the hormone pills, I would gain 1-2 lbs per week, then the week that I was off, I would drop as much as 10 lbs. So while I haven't had an issue with Mirena, I no longer discount the possibility of weight gain due to birth control.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena in for 5 years, just had it removed in July. I have lost 30 lbs since I had it removed, but I doubt that was in relation to Mirena. I gained about 60 lbs since having it inserted, but I truly believe that was a by-product of my unhealthy lifestyle. However, I did have emotional issues that I couldn't explain. I was always moody, way too sensitive, irritable... It was like permanent PMS symptoms. Didn't have those issues prior to insertion and I don't have them now since I've had it removed. Maybe the minimal hormones in it didn't sit well with me, I don't know. I had to wear a panty liner every day just in case of spotting, which was common for me. Had almost no period for several years, but always had the cramping and bloating to go with it. Overall, not too bad of an experience for me. I loved that I could be intimate with my partner without additional protection. Try it out, see what happens. Seems like the experiences vary widely.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Isn't the arm implant a progesterone only form of birth control? If so, then that may be the reason you have bloated and gained weight... but the other posters are correct it is not an IUD nor is it similar in how it's used.