Irritable Bowel Syndrome brought on by exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Fikinghell
    Fikinghell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, guys! I'm an IBS - C sufferer and I read all your posts. I too understand the doctor thing, years I went to them about it and all they did was throw pills and laxatives at me. I was told to 'figure it out myself' by one doctor! Years down the line and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I lost 2 stone last year by using MFP and going to the gym. I loved Body Combat and for a few months it was great but then I started to get that nervous IBS pain in my gut just before a class that wouldn't go away. I had stop going because of it :(

I think its such an individual thing IBS. What works for one might not work for another. But I certainly find it calming to know that there are those out there like me. Having a 'to try plan' helps to focus on symptoms, diet and lifestyle more. So I try anything that I feel is do-able and could help me.

I too want to run as a way to get fit. I want to do the Race For Life in June 2014. I have never ran a 5km so it will be a challenge for me. I only hope that the 'trots' does not happen for me. But I suppose only time will tell once I actually get a move on and do it! I also hope that the mysterious IBS pain symptom doesn't appear again!!

All I can say is: If the pain is manageable, go for it! But if it gets too much don't stress yourself into more symptoms!! Ease off and maybe just walk for a while!

Good luck to all :) xx
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    What kind of food do you eat? I had IBS for years, and it completely went away about a year and a half ago after a 4 day juice fast, and a change in diet. It never came back, no matter what exercise i do.

I eat normal food! until my IBS flares up and then I follow a low FODMAP diet, which helps manage symptoms.

Re running with the runs: this has not been a problem for me yet this time, long may it last. I too have had a number of unfortunate (= hilarious to my friends) situations in the past where I have had to urgently go mid-run, it's humiliating and I now always carry tissues and a doggy bag just in case!
    The idea of the low FODMAP diet is that you do the elimination phase and then gradually bring them back in. You may find its only one or two things that you need to avoid. Did you work with a qualified dietician on it- that's the recommended way.

Haha yes I did do that, but I am also a dietician! When I am having a flare up almost anything anything on the list will set me off, except avocado or wheat products. After about six months (or when things are improving - sometimes it's earlier) I start reintroducing and if I can eat an apple and not have a problem then I know things are improving :)

Aaaaahhhhh. You'll know more than me then. ????