5x5

Options
I am starting this program next Monday. I have read through the website and some of the other forum post on here but have a question on increasing weights.

Are you supposed to increase your weight in between each set or increase each workout (workout A or B)? My thought (and it could be wrong) is you increase each set (maybe only 5lbs.) and start the next workout at the ending weight of the previous workout. I realize at some point in the program you are going to get to a weight you can't increase and need to focus on completing the sets rather than increasing the weight.

Advice/thoughts

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You increase after every workout, not every set.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You increase after every workout, not every set.

^this.

And when you get to the point where you fail the same weight 3 workouts in a row you then decrease by 10% and have to work back up again.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to increase your weight in between each set or increase each workout (workout A or B)?

If you hit 5 reps of 5 sets with perfect form, increase by 2.5kg next workout. (5kg for Deadlift).

If you fail, keep the same weight next workout.

If you fail three times, deload by 10%, or 2.5kg.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Increasing 5lb every set is going to mean you fail very, very quickly.

Start off light, you'll be surprised how soon it gets heavy (relative to ability) even just increasing 5lb every workout. It's worth investing a few weeks with the lighter weights in order to get your form right.