Sweet Potatoes without all the Goo

Options
2»

Replies

• janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love the goo and the wee little marshmallows, but my mom made this last year and it was pretty good.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-honey-butter-recipe/index.html

I looked this one up and it looks pretty good. I'm going to give it a try Thursday.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. She had a good recipe.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe for sweet potatoes. Quick, simple, and I get rave reviews whenever I make them. You don't need to grill them, they bake just fine at 400 deg. for 25 - 30 minutes.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/potatoes/sweet_potato_steak_fries.html
  • cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Peeled cut up and baked in a casserole with tart apple slices topped with a little brown suagar and walnuts.

This reminds me of a Weight Watcher's recipe.

The brown sugar was mixed with a bit of melted butter and (thawed) apple juice concentrate.....cinnamon and finely chopped crystalized ginger was in it too. It was baked with a foil cover, and remove the cover half way through.

Anyway, I made this with (semi) tart apples.....ginger has some bite .....yum!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    My roommate's mother cuts them up into cubes, then tosses them with onions in butter and tops with chopped bacon and bakes them until they are soft and the bacon has cooked. SO GOOD!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Slice them into thin chips, spray with coconut oil, sprinkle with cinnamon, and bake! It's a delicious treat, especially topped with maple syrup or peanut butter. It's still sweet, but not overwhelmingly so and it's healthy!
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my favourite with sweet potatoes:

chop them into wedges
    boil them for about 5 mins
    then i put them in a big with some tomato puree and chilii powder (i like my food spicy, but you can add whatever spice you like) and mix well
    put them on the baking tray (without the bag obviously) and bake until nice and crispy!
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Take two large sweet potatoes peeled, boiled and mashed. Mix with a box of silken tofu. (The texture is amazing, so fluffy~)
    I added apple chunks and cinnamon to mine, topped with oatmeal, pecans, and a very small amount of brown sugar.
    Yum!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Cut them into 1" cubes, toss in olive or canola oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 until tender (20 minutes or so). You can add other root vegetables to this mixture too and do a medley.

Bake them whole and serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar

Cut into 1" cubes, combine with apple wedges, fresh cranberries and walnuts or pecans. Toss in canola oil, salt, a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Place on a large piece of foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray (big enough to close over the mixture and seal). Fold over foil and seal well. Place on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, turning over halfway through for even browning.

This, but with salt, pepper, and chili powder. I like my sweet potatoes with salt/savory spices better.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food, these Chipotle Sweet Potatoes are the bomb: http://bobbyflay.com/recipe.php?id=169

If you don't like it spicy, the recipe works just as well without the chipotles. :)
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I go as simple as possible with sweet potatoes. Oven at 450 degrees, skin on, holes poked into them with a fork. Bake for 45-55 minutes depending on how big they are. Cut open, put a little cinnamon on and done!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    my mom used to bake one for an hour, then plate it in a bowl, split it down the middle and pour milk over it and eat it like that. she acted like it was the best thing in the world and I am gonna try it this winter.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love this one and have made it several times. The potatoes end up sliced in the pan, not mashed with tons of butter. The dish has a beautiful color with the sweet potato slices and the dark, plump raisins.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sweet-potatoes-with-brandy-and-raisins-recipe/index.html#!

You can even cut back a bit on the sugar and butter, as long as they don't get dried out.

The last time I made this, we discovered at the last minute that we didn't have any brandy. I used bourbon instead, and it was even better that way.