Gluten free weight loss, what is working for you?

Options
Hello: I am interested in finding out how this experience has been for you? I am down 6 lbs. I am eating
gluten free and use a paleo, organic approach to weight loss with a healthy routine of dog walking
as my fitness component. I want to join a fitness center but prefer to work out at home. What exercises at home are you using?
Do you have anything you can share here, I am looking for you!:happy:

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free as I have a wheat allergy. I have lost 52 pounds from January 1 this year. What helped me most was cleaning up my diet as much as possible and really paying attention to my sodium counts on most days. I exercise as I can with my schedule and physical limitations.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Our at home exercise routines included starting off with Leslie Sansone (sp), her many walking videos. Upgraded to Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 etc.......I guess depending on your place of origin you could look at any free to air work out stuff, I often see others recommending this way. Walking your doggie is always a great idea....go longer add in hills....even if you have to go alone if pooch can't manage.

Food wise - gluten free is much easier these days particularly if your embracing the principles of Paleo eating, (we do agree with some of the Paleo ideas - others too strict and we found unnecessary to achieve our desired results.) I am in no way trying to be an advocate nor dissuade you - you will need to experiment and ultimately find what works the best for you and what is sustainable.

For us we were avoiding gluten due to intolerances and gut problems - sadly, the available pre-packaged gluten-free products in Australia at least, caused us problems with unacceptable blood sugar spikes. Also the processed stuff is hideously expensive and sodium laden with very little nutritional value compared with their high calorie value....so in the end we ditched going down this path. Yeah....we miss having sandwiches and bread type things with soup but have gotten over that expectation now.

I guess the principles that saw us lose and continue to maintain desired weight was commitment and time - this is true of any decisions you make diet wise and exercise wise. We saw value and sense in eating food in as natural state as possible, meat, abundant vegetables and fruits. We do continue with dairy in the form of skim milk (cow/soy), home made greek yoghurt and cheese. We also bust out and exercise our sweet tooth occasionally with good quality chocolate.

Good Luck
  • Bberl
    Bberl Posts: 32
    Options
    I am gluten free as I have a wheat allergy. I have lost 52 pounds from January 1 this year. What helped me most was cleaning up my diet as much as possible and really paying attention to my sodium counts on most days. I exercise as I can with my schedule and physical limitations.

Wow, that is great news, a loss of 52 lbs! Well done. It really is easy and it sounds that you are keeping healthy doing what you can, when you can. Keep it up!
  • Bberl
    Bberl Posts: 32
    Options
    What a good for you eating plan. I too use some of the ideas in the Paleo suggested foods, but I am basically on a low carb, high fat diet using organic and clean foods. What surprises me the most is I am always full and don't miss gluten at all. The gluten breads out there are very dense and one can pack on weight using them. So, I am learning something new everyday. You make your own cheese and yogurts?
    It doesn't get any better than that! I love kale chips, I bake kale in the oven with olive oil. Delish!

Thanks for sharing what works.