Adding protein powder to Porridge oats

Options
Evening all,

Has anyone tried adding protein powder to porridge oats?

Been looking at my macros and I'm consistently under 20% for protein while aiming for 40%. I can't eat too much meat so this seems like an option for winter but I imagine it dries it out a lot?

Forums I've checked have conflicting advice so I may just need to experiment but wondered if anyone here has tried?

I use a Whey Protein.

Thanks.

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Evening all,

Has anyone tried adding protein powder to porridge oats?

Been looking at my macros and I'm consistently under 20% for protein while aiming for 40%. I can't eat too much meat so this seems like an option for winter but I imagine it dries it out a lot?

Forums I've checked have conflicting advice so I may just need to experiment but wondered if anyone here has tried?

I use a Whey Protein.

Thanks.
    I add protein powder to my oats from time to time. Don't add the protein before cooking or the powder tends to clump up.
    What conflicting advice are getting?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yup. It is delicious!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Porridge and whey is absolutely amazing. I use about

75g oats
    300ml water (or a little less for milk)
    25g whey

Sooo good!
  • pastelraindrops
    Options
    (guess i did it wrong?) I tried it once and it made it very chalky and weird :/ I was using Aria protein powder. Maybe if you vita mix it with some water or milk first? I haven't tried that. I like to put 2x protein greek yogurt in my oatmeal. 80 calories, 12g protein which is less than powder but greek yogurt makes oatmeal super creamy and i love it like that.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Proatmeal!

The REAL Breakfast of champions!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my porridge. I use 0.75 of a scoop of powder with water/milk and blend, then add it to the oats and cook. If I don't blend the powder first, it clumps.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my oats from time to time. Don't add the protein before cooking or the powder tends to clump up.

Thanks All! Fairly straightforward. Another thread had a lot of people saying "Never do it" but not explaining why.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I add half a scoop of protein powder to my morning oatmeal... love it, and I started doing it just to get more protien in my day.. now I can't imagine eating oatmeal without it
  • betsapp91
    Options
    I would also like to know if this is a viable option
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Thanks All! Fairly straightforward. Another thread had a lot of people saying "Never do it" but not explaining why.
    \
    I am thinking they believe the heat will cause the protein to denature which essentially reduces or destroys the peptides in the protein, but this nothing to worry about. Protein is denatured when it's digested anyway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I add protein to all sorts of things- yogurt- coffee- ice cream- add it to what you need that you can tolerate if you want to add it in.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do it most of the time. I just stir it in after it's cooked.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I put yogurt and protein powder in my oatmeal. It is awesomeness.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat it that way every morning and I've found different brands react differently. I always add the protein powder after I cook the oats, because when I tried adding it before I had some weird results (it seemed to congeal or something). Some brands will clump up if you don't mix it with water first, and some work just fine if you sprinkle it on. I typically mix mine in a cup with a small amount of water and add it after cooking like you would add milk. I like to eat vanilla with blueberries and almonds, or chocolate with bananas and a tablespoon of peanut butter. You can change it up so many different ways and it gives you the perfect balance of carbs and protein (and fat if you add the nuts). I love it!
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Eat proats all the time. Oats,whey,cinnamon,peanut butter. hnnnnnnng
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I cook the oats and instead of milk I use Whey Protein Powder and some berries
  • PrincessMissDee
    Options
    Proatmeal!

The REAL Breakfast of champions!

Haha PROATMEAL, I love this.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You should try the following:
    - 15 to 50 grams of whole wheat pancake mix (no added sugar, actually just whole wheat and baking powder)
    - 15 to 50 grams of whey (protein powder)
    Put this in a tupperware bowl, stir the ingredients a bit, add a little bit of water.
    Stir in water bit by bit until you have the consistency of pancake mix (Thick yet still liquid).
    Put this in the microwave (on high) for 1 to 2,5 minutes (depending on how much batter you have).
    When it is done, put a plate on top of the tupperware bowl, flip it over (dropping the souffle on the plate).
    Now add toppings as you like (I love frozen bananas, strawberries or berries and Walden Farms).
    Your meal or snack is done!

Protein souffle using 45 grams of pancake mix, 30 grams of vanilla whey, half a frozen banana, Walden Farms Caramel Syrup and Chocolate Peanut Spread:
    IMG_20131121_061219.jpgIMG_20131121_061321.jpg
  • PrincessMissDee
    Options

Protein souffle using 45 grams of pancake mix, 30 grams of vanilla whey, half a frozen banana, Walden Farms Caramel Syrup and Chocolate Peanut Spread:

Ooh, this is a good shout too! Thanks
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Porridge oats
    Natural Yoghurt
    Whey

WINNING BREAKFAST!