Hot, Healthy, Lunch?

Options
Hi,

So, I'm trying to eat a healthy lunch that will fill me up. The hard part is that I do not eat dairy or eggs. I really like hot food, and I feel like it satisfies me more than a salad or cold tuna. Can someone offer healthy and tasty options?

Thanks

Replies

• rednose83
    rednose83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like Amy's burritos.
  • portpaw
    Options
    I find that chili fills me up. It's my go-to lunch when I'm out and about.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Leftovers - just make a little extra dinner and have it for lunch.

Stews, chilis and soups are also hot and filling and easy for lunch.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    latest kick is Costco's frozen Turkey Meatballs. Their just good, easy to heat up, tastes good without a lot of added salt.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili if I'm being good. Mac n Cheese if I'm misbehaving :wink:
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I love heating up leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • live_your_dreams
    live_your_dreams Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love eating stir fry's at work for lunch. Mostly vegetable stir fry's over 30g of cooked brown rice (approx 110 cal) You can add lean meat for added protein.

Advice though is to eat a hearty breakfast, like oatmeal. And make sure you have your morning snack, it'll help you be satisfied with your lunch.
  • Nicgianni1
    Options
    I have to agree with the leftovers. A lot of times, they taste better the next day.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Chili. I could eat it every day.
  • AlexisT413
    Options
    I like turkey chili. If you don't mind, what all do you put in it? I used to put ground turkey, a can of tomato sauce, a pack of chili seasoning, pinto beans, and red kidney beans. I'm not sure if that's the way to go.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! Not just for breakfast :P super filling and very customizable, you can mix just about anything in there. sweet, savory, spicy... fruits, nuts, milk, bacon, the sky is the limit. I really love oatmeal *^__^* haha

Sometimes I eat scrambled eggs/omelettes for lunch too. (Since you don't eat eggs, tofu makes a great sub!) Spinach, tomatoes, beans, onions, spices, hot sauce... yum!
  • FrontBoard
    Options
    Amy's bowls that are vegan. I really like the black eyed pea one. Also try the quinoa or spaghetti italiano.

Vegan tamales. Beans. Rice.

For heartier chili you can bulk it up with more veggies too. Try adding eggplant or some zucchini.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I grill a portion of chicken breast, a few hamburgers (very lean), and chicken sausage every weekend. Then I will make at least 3 kinds of veg. Roasted cabbage - zuchinni with tomatoes and onions - cauliflour, broccoli and onions, roasted with olive oil, garlic, & balsamic vinegar after it came out of the oven. THEN...I section the veg out in 2 cup containers and the protein into 4 oz ziplocs. Every morning I pick what I want for the day off my "shelf" in the fridge. The small amount of variety keeps it interesting, and not having to think about lunch at 7am is a blessing!! You can do whatever combinations you think will re-heat well - and you will learn what doesn't work, too...like I love turkey burgers, but not re-heated.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up some lentils with strong seasoning, sauté some mushrooms and spinach with garlic and more seasoning, and combine everything into a big bowl of deliciousness. Another favorite is spaghetti squash (you can roast it ahead and then just microwave to get it hot if time is an issue) tossed with my favorite red sauce, with a veggie burger on the side. A big plate of steamed broccoli & cauliflower tossed with tuna or salmon flakes and topped with sriracha is also delicious. Oh, and sliced chicken sausage sautéed with thick mushroom slices and served over either hot grains (quinoa, wild rice, couscous) or a big salad is really satisfying too!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    something very easy: soup. I buy "no salt added" soup. very low in sodium. I then add extra water to make it more filling and throw in a few extras (maybe some tomatoes, peas, carrots...even some meat). low calorie, warm, nutritious.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like turkey chili. If you don't mind, what all do you put in it? I used to put ground turkey, a can of tomato sauce, a pack of chili seasoning, pinto beans, and red kidney beans. I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

That sounds healthy and filling! You could add chopped onion, garlic, celery or whatever if you wanted. But what you listed above sounds good. Plenty of protein and fiber and other nutrients.
  • AlexisT413
    Options
    THEN...I section the veg out in 2 cup containers and the protein into 4 oz ziplocs. Every morning I pick what I want for the day off my "shelf" in the fridge.

I love this idea. Most of the time, the reason I go for fast food or something quick and unhealthy is because I'm too hungry or lazy to cook. Having things already made, packaged, and ready sounds like it will help with eating healthier and better portions.

Thank you
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with leftovers or soups. If ready made make it easier for you, it doesn't take much effort to throw together a pot of soup on Sunday and portion it out into 5 or 6 containers for the week. You can always supplement it with anything you want on the side if you feel like it's not enough.

Chili is great (I do ground beef or turkey, onions, garlic, diced peppers - whatever color - to up the veggie content, red kidney beans, and a large can/jar of diced tomatoes, and then season to taste w/ salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper). Or, I do chicken soup a lot, and there's SO many different things you can do. Roast off some boneless/skinless breasts (or get a rotisserie chicken from the store), shred or dice them. Have a box of reduced sodium/fat free chicken broth on hand. Then - saute whatever veggies you feel like in a bit of olive oil (onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, celery, root veggies, whatever you want), then once they're soft throw in the chicken and broth and season with whatever you like, and simmer for awhile. If you want to add beans or greens, do it towards the end; if you want to add noodles or rice, cook it separately and just add it to the containers when you pack it up. Done. TONS of options, super easy, and pretty healthy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

This is the best answer............... can't fathom eating and then heating frozen, packaged stuff............gross.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I agree with leftovers or soups. If ready made make it easier for you, it doesn't take much effort to throw together a pot of soup on Sunday and portion it out into 5 or 6 containers for the week. You can always supplement it with anything you want on the side if you feel like it's not enough.

Chili is great (I do ground beef or turkey, onions, garlic, diced peppers - whatever color - to up the veggie content, red kidney beans, and a large can/jar of diced tomatoes, and then season to taste w/ salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper). Or, I do chicken soup a lot, and there's SO many different things you can do. Roast off some boneless/skinless breasts (or get a rotisserie chicken from the store), shred or dice them. Have a box of reduced sodium/fat free chicken broth on hand. Then - saute whatever veggies you feel like in a bit of olive oil (onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, celery, root veggies, whatever you want), then once they're soft throw in the chicken and broth and season with whatever you like, and simmer for awhile. If you want to add beans or greens, do it towards the end; if you want to add noodles or rice, cook it separately and just add it to the containers when you pack it up. Done. TONS of options, super easy, and pretty healthy.

I really want chili now. my problem is...i love it so much, i can't stay away from it!