Knee Injury but still need cardio

Options
Hey all,

I recently hurt my knee during my favorite workout, kickboxing. I really need to take it easy on my knee but don't want to lose momentum with my workouts. Of course I hate to give up kickboxing because I feel I get a great burn in a short amount of time. I am willing to dial it back though. I went to class today and have little to no soreness as I modified most of the moves.

Do you have any advice/ideas for workouts that would give me a 500+ cal burn without re-injuring my knee? Also, I need more accountability friends so feel free to add me!

Happy Monday!:smile:

Replies

• Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have patellofemoral pain syndrome so I try to avoid exercises that inflict a lot of stress on my knees. I find swimming to be a great workout since you get some resistance training while burning some mad calories. You should easily burn 500 calories in an hour of lane swimming, especially if you swim in a front crawl.

Cycling should also be fine on your knee too. I occasionally have to stand in the saddle to stretch out my knees but it's usually pretty low impact on the joint. Find some hills and you'll work up a good sweat.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Consult it with your physio (I can't stress enough how important that is!), but I think spinning would help, especially if you're willing to invest in SPD shoes. Also make sure to exercise your hamstrings, so you keep strength in your knee -- butt bridges, hip thrusts, deadlifts etc. will keep your legs in shape and may even speed up recovery. If you can walk -- powerwalk, grab a pair of dumbbells and try marching at 7-8 km/h speed for at least 30 minutes, it's not as effective burn wise as running or jogging, but you'll still burn plenty without putting too much stress on your knee.

Speedy recovery!