Shaking up my Veg recipes

Options
sarrah_n
sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
I need to add some variety to my cooking with veggies outside of carrots, potatos and zucchini. Any ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How about steamed broccoli or grilled asparagus w/ mushrooms or sauteed spinach with garlic, grilled eggplant. Those are at least a few of the ones I have for dinner to try to keep things interesting. Good luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I saw this one earlier today, and they look good, but haven't tried any yet.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes-for-a-plant-based-thanksgiving-2013/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    The last few nights I've been cooking potatoes as I would for mashed potatoes, but instead of adding lots of butter and full-fat milk (or half-and-half), I've been stir-frying different vegetables (turnips, baby kale, green cabbage) and mixing them with just a little butter (and salt and pepper) - very yummy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my favs green beans, brussel sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My most recent favorites:

1. Pureed broccoli and cauliflower soup - Just simmer the veggies in broth with some onion and garlic, salt and pepper, until very tender, then puree. You can add potato and milk if you want a richer flavor, and don't mind the extra calories.

2. Red pepper stew - "Fry" red, orange and yellow bell pepper, and a hot pepper in broth with some onion and garlic until very tender, then partially puree. I add a little broth as I go so that it doesn't become soup. Salt to taste, and serve with whole wheat pita and hummus, or with chicken or beef.
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    This baked broccoli recipe is very, very good and easy to make.
    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

Green beans, lightly steamed or boiled, can easily be made more interesting.
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/green_beans_with_almonds_and_thyme/

….and I can't understand why anyone would make pie out of pumpkin instead of roasting it.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-roast-pumpkin-193241

Good luck with your menu planning!
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower soup is very good. Add other veggies and puree it all with chicken brooth. Very creamy and smooth
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What about Carrot & Courgette (zucchini) Latke

Grate 2 carrots and one courgette. Squash out excess liquid.
    Add 1 egg to make a semi sloppy mixture - add spices to your liking, tsp Curry Powder or Cumin/Paprika is lovely
    Non-stick pan, 1 cal oil sprays, fry off in hamburger size flat patties on medium heat.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I really like snacking on snow peas, especially with some hummus to dip them in, and they're also nice in stir-fries.

You can also shred a bunch of spinach and pan-fry it until it's wilted with garlic, finely sliced onions, and a touch of sesame seed oil. Mmmm.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    baked spaghetti squash marinara:

cook a spaghetti squash (stab holes in it and microwave 8-10 minutes. let it cool a little, slice it in half long ways and gut out the seeds/pulp. use a fork to shred the squash out).

jar of marinara sauce, part skim ricotta, 5-7 whole mushrooms rinced and sliced and then sauteed with garlic, 2 cups frozen spinach thawed and drained or 2 cups equivalent of fresh spinach sauteed, 2 cups frozen broccoli thawed drained and chopped, grated parm, shredded mozzarella, spices such as garlic, oregano, black pepper.

in a casserole dish layer marinara, some spaghetti squash, spinach , mushrooms, broccoli, grated parm, ricotta, layer with marinara again and all veggies and parm and ricotta, top with marinara and shredded mozzarella (add seasonings as well). bake for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted. may be a little liquidy but just drain that. makes 4 large servings.
    in a slow cooker throw together chopped cabbage, baby carrots, red onion, diced eggplant (half an eggplant), can of diced tomatoes, 4 potatoes cut into bite sized pieces, slices of red pepper, sliced mushrooms, vegetable broth and water, and spices. cook on low 8 hrs or high 4 hours. a tasty chunky soup or blend together for a creamy like soup and add shredded cheese
    2 cups frozen spinach thawed and drained or 1 cup spinach 1 cup frozen broccoli thawed and drained, half cup marinara, garlic and oregano, 1-2 tbsp ricotta. mix together. tasty snack or side dish and reminds me of a baked ziti dish.
    stir fry of various veg (broccoli, carrots, celery, mushrooms, spinach, bean sprouts) with a protein like tofu or chicken, seitan or even beef strips. sautee all these together, add soy sauce, teryiaki sauce or sweet n sour sauce and servce over shirataki noodles, rice noodles or brown rice.
    campbells green curry skillet sauce is really good or you can make a curry sauce, cook eggplant, red peppers, onions, mushrooms and broccoli, add in curry sauce and bring to a boil, add a protein if desired like chicken or tofu. serve over rice or couscous
    burrito bowl - brown rice or white rice seasoned with cilantro, add in fajita veg (peppers onions mushrooms zucchini), salsa, avocado or guacamole, black beans, sour cream, lettuce.
    egg sandwich with cheese on an english muffin with tomato slices and avocado (i know those are fruits but whatever lol)
    omelet with spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onion, shredded cheese topped with salsa or cheesy scrambled eggs with salsa in a tortilla with sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions and salsa and sour cream
    mash chickpeas or use tuna, mix with mayo or greek yogurt with spices like sage, dillweed, onion powder, garlic powder and eat in a pita or on sandwich bread with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber slices and spread hummus or avocado on the bread also good with sprouts.
    club roll with a protein (seitan, steak tips, chicken) with provolone cheese, marinara, sauteed peppers mushrooms and onion. also would be good as a meatball wedge with these toppings
    take broccoli, toss with olive oil salt and pepper and bake in the oven, the last few minutes add minced garlic. delish.
    tortellini salad - cook cheese tortellini and cool, toss with red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and oregano. serve over romaine or spinach leaves, crumbled feta, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, cucumber slices or whatever else you like in a salad. also good with other salad dressings besides the oil vinegar mix such as italian, ranch, honey mustard or annie's greed godess dressing
    quesadilla with cheese, sauteed mushrooms peppers onions or a pizzadilla - spread marinara on it, shredded mozz, top with spinach mushrooms peppers onions other pizza toppings you like and cook as a quesadilla
    veggie strips dipped in hummus is a good snack.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    also take a few red potatoes, cut into small pieces toss in olive oil, minced garlic and oregano and bake at 350 about 20 minutes, can also make potato wedges and toss in olive oil oregano and garlic and bake
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables!! I love the mixture of root vegetables with red peppers and onions along with some olive oil.

I tried a glazed turnip recipe last week from allrecipes and they were delicious! Even better in a salad the next day.
    We did a CSA for spring,summer and fall, so I had to get creative with all the vegetables and spent a lot of time just looking up recipes on line. If you are on pinterest, there are all kinds of boards with vegetable recipes.