When do you buy new clothes?

Options

Replies

• gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think it is important to get rid of, or alter all your "big" clothes. That amounts to making a commitment. You don't want to look back. I notice you are still hoping to lose more weight. Ask around and see if you can find a good seamstress in your area..Do reward yourself with some new outfits then knowing that if you lose more you can have alterations made. As several of those who have responded said, often we don't get the positive feedback we'd like from friends while we are in our sloppy old clothes.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I will state this also...the only people telling me they could see my weight loss was my fiance and my kids who see me every day, and no one else, and I was like "meh, they are just saying that because they love me and see how hard I'm working" but then the first time I wore something the smaller size (stuff I had previously that I owned 7 yrs ago that wasn't too out of style yet) and when I wore those smaller clothes taht weren't hanging on me, others started to make comments about if I've lost weight and I look great.

Maybe this is why no one has commented that I've lost weight, once I come out in new slim clothes everyone will be blown away!
    :wink:
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I Buy new clothes all the time and wear very little of what I used to wear if anything. I got rid I a lot of stuff because I don't think I will ever gain it back. Now I'm about a 16 but I'm not going to get rid of my 18 or anything. But any 22/24 I don't think I will ever needs those again so I gave them away.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The only new clothes I've bought since joining MFP & losing 56# are workout clothes! I was a 3X & now I'm a comfortable 1X, but actually fit into XL workout gear (tight but stretchy!) I am at the point where all of my old stuff, even my stash of " way too small now but maybe will fit again someday" is too big. I still have 100+ pounds to lose, but I really don't want to buy plus sizes anymore so I'm going to make do. I figure by spring when the weather gets warm I will buy some things to get me through the summer and hopefully will be at goal by next winter. In the mean time I'm weeding through my closet & donating stuff every few weeks.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to feel confident at any size. Buy the clothes. Feel confident and confident actions will follow. They are a reward. You once rewarded yourself with food. Now reward yourself by not only looking better but unveiling that you look/feel better too. If you are wearing giant clothes, it doesn't look like you've lost weight. You just look dumpy.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I will state this also...the only people telling me they could see my weight loss was my fiance and my kids who see me every day, and no one else, and I was like "meh, they are just saying that because they love me and see how hard I'm working" but then the first time I wore something the smaller size (stuff I had previously that I owned 7 yrs ago that wasn't too out of style yet) and when I wore those smaller clothes taht weren't hanging on me, others started to make comments about if I've lost weight and I look great.

Maybe this is why no one has commented that I've lost weight, once I come out in new slim clothes everyone will be blown away!
    :wink:

I swear I didn't think anything of it till I realized when they were commenting was when I was NOT wearing my clothes I started my weight loss journey in that were all oversized and sagging on me! Go buy yourself something girl, it truly will make YOU feel better and when you feel better, it helps keep you motivated! :) Do it!! :)
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to feel confident at any size. Buy the clothes. Feel confident and confident actions will follow. They are a reward. You once rewarded yourself with food. Now reward yourself by not only looking better but unveiling that you look/feel better too. If you are wearing giant clothes, it doesn't look like you've lost weight. You just look dumpy.

^^This!
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

It took me awhile to buy new clothes. Even after I lost 50 lbs, I was buying my old size because I was so use to buying that size and I also thought would I need this size clothes again if I gain back all the weight.
    Finally, I forced myself to donate them and I had to buy some diff clothes.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you need an outfit for something, get it. Other than that, I didn't get new clothes until I got to a point were the same clothes would fit correctly at my goal weight.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss!

I ... ahem... go shopping in my closet - i have clothing in other sizes just waiting for me. I have several pairs of slacks and a great pair of jeans that i would love to fit into, i have a few tops/jackets and skirts. In the interim, i buy cheap stuff (e.g., kmart etc) or things on sale and continue wearing things that are big and baggy until people get up for me on the bus because they think i'm pregnant:blushing: then i discard.

it's been a great feeling to get rid of the "too big" clothing! I will NOT go back to those sizes!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've been bargain shopping a lot. I buy clothes in charity shops, Primark and go to clothes swapping/swishing parties because I keep dropping through the sizes.

It's not good for your morale to keep on wearing clothes that are far too big when they're hanging off you. For a while, it's awesome to go "heck, this used to be tight" and then you stop seeing the difference and start feeling fat again.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodwill so often anymore and buy clothes haha..
    I have really lovely second hand stores all around me though. People donate the nicest stuff to them! Since losing weight, I LOVE so much how clothes fit me, so I started buying stuff when I started noticing how much better I looked in them. Why not? especially since they're so affordable. I am not far away from my goal weight at all though and these are all tops that I can fit at my goal weight. As for pants? I will probably end up donating them when back when they become too big.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am right where you are when i first started even shopping for clothes. Here i wear mainly shorts and my shorts were really baggy at 30 lbs lost. I still wore them as i had nothing else. I often shop at Kohls as they have great sales - so i went and was shocked.
    Before starting my size was a 12 -pushing to a 14 (which i wouldn't buy!) I found two pairs of shorts - different brands - that fit in a size 6 ! Shock of my life! I have never been a size 6. (must be the vanity sizing that everyone on here talks about!)

Anyway - i felt great and look SO much better/slimmer - in my new shorts! I also found some nice black slacks. So i went home and tried on almost all my "fat" clothes. Most now are sitting in a box - out of sight. I wish i could donate them. I can't quite do that yet.
    I am 68 and have never been this slim so its definitely Hard to do.

So - yes - shop - get some new clothes. Its uplifting and yes you will look so much better in them. You don't have to go overboard and replace everything yet. But get some basics that you can wear a lot. I haven't worn any of my old clothes since - except for tops which are large - but doable.

Enjoy - 30 lbs gone is quite an achievement - you deserve it.
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well I lost 102 lbs and I think its about time I go and buy a new outfit !!! guess I was being cheap :)

OMG your clothes must have been falling off you or held up with baler twine and bungee cords. Unbelievable that you have not yet bought any new clothes!
  • rjb1311
    rjb1311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... that's an interesting idea. I think making the first step... to try them on will encourage the positive thought process.
  • rjb1311
    rjb1311 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did have some clothes stashed from about 6 or 7 years ago that I bought online. unfortunately, the clothes were too small and I was too lazy to return them.

So, I wore some of the clothes last Friday and there were quite a few people that commented on the weight loss. When I wear the bigger clothes it isn't as noticeable.

I think what I'm getting at, is I knew the correct answer but needed a few of you to smack me a round a little bit.

Thanks!
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's simple for me. If my pants fall off with a little wiggle of my butt, it's time to hit the sales!
  • splashtree2
    Options
    I wish I had waited till I hit my final goal....kinda mad for settling.

i don't have to give up clothes only if i gain a size then i'm dropping only the unwanted fat
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just want to echo the same thing most others have said, baggy too-big clothes do you no favors. This past spring when I'd only lost about 17-20 lb, I was wearing my size 2X tops and 22 pants and they did not seem crazy-big on me, to me. But little by little I started to get depressed at my reflection. Things that once flattered me no longer "worked" and one of my coworkers even said something about my pants being way too big. It was hard at first because size 18s didn't even come up my thighs but 20 was pretty baggy. After I lost another 15 lb though the 18s fit like a dream. Sometimes I think you have to wait out some awkward phases to buy new clothes.

Now there is almost NOTHING in my wardrobe that was there one year ago at this time (I was 60 lb heavier then). It wasn't easy to dump all that stuff, I had emotional ties to a lot of it. But I truly do feel like there is no going back now. My largest jeans are size 18. My largest top is 1X. I am not going back. Right now in my mind, 1X and 18 are okay even though I have L and 14-16 in my closet. But eventually I plan for even the 1X and 18 to be "banished". I still struggle sometimes when I face a plus sized clearance rack, with thinking 22/24 or 2X is going to be "okay" for me. Old habits are hard to break.
  • LBinSF
    LBinSF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Buy some cute new clothes and put the 'fat clothes' in the basement in shopping bags! (you won't need to go back to them but they're there just in case...)
    Another thing you can do while you're losing is have a tailor alter them so the ones you have fit better in the interim.

On Sunday I discarded/ donated 1 giant bag filled with fat clothes.. I cannot believe how GIGANTIC the jeans I used to wear are! Truly - of EPIC proportion! I also got rid of some old skinny clothes as well and cannot believe how TINY they are! (and at that time I used to mistakenly believe I was fat because that was what my mother was telling me).
    The funny thing is that I have felt EXACTLY THE SAME at all of those sizes (5'9" and range from size 6 to size 20). The only thing that shifted (during the weight gain years) is that what I perceived as "normal" in other people got a LOT bigger during my obese years... Nowadays, I don't think about weight much at all and I see people's personalities 'shining through' rather than judging them by their body sizes. It's a much more relaxed situation. Before (when I used to be thin), I used to always mentally calculate how much weight someone should lose. It was automatic and was something I learned from listening to my mother's harsh judgments of other people's bodies (and mine - even when I was a normal weight).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!