Feel weak often?

Options
I've only been following myfitnesspal for about 10 days now, but I've found that I frequently feel very weak. Nothing else in my life has changed except for eating fewer calories now (I'm on 1760...I upped it because of feeling so weak in the beginning). I often start to feel progressively weak to the point that I can't do anything but sit down. I'll usually have a snack then, but it takes a while before I feel ready to get up and go again. I was going to two 90 minute yoga classes a week, but past week I had to skip them entirely because I was just feeling too weak.

I noticed I am almost always not eating enough fat (who knew?), and my protein is usually under the recommended amount (but not by a lot). Any ideas as to what's going on? Anyone else feeling this? I've tried to search this in the posts multiple times but I can't seem to find anyone else mentioning it.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your blood sugars. Less food and more activities can cause low blood sugars.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    A quick look at your diary shows a lack of protein, very little fat, and not very nutritionally good food....Red wine and cookies are OK, but not for dinner..lettuce does not have much nutritional value, and mini wheats for breakfast will make me pass out by ten...

Up your protein to at least 30% - have protein with every meal and snack, add good fats like avocado and nuts, and drop the cookies and wine every day...Make it a weekend treat or once a week...You cannot get along with minimal nutriton and lower calories....
    Your day is almost nothing but carbs, which will lead to ups and downs in blood sugar, which in turn will make you feel weak....
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that you might be eating enough calorie wise, but because it is calorie dense food you're not really getting to eat that much. Definitely work on the protein.
  • stephweeks
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't realize I was so carb heavy until I started myfitnesspal!
    Haha, looks like you were looking at last night's dinner! I wanted to make up for my calorie-heavy lunch, but was craving wine and chocolate, so that's all I gave myself.
    The problem is more during the day too, by the way. But yes, I agree I need more fat and protein. I've decided to give up the frosted shredded mini wheats (god I love them so....) and replace them with steel cut oatmeal with peanut butter or whole wheat toast with peanut butter.
    I guess I just find it hard to stay at my calories and still add more fat and protein. The vegetarian options I can think of take up a lot of calories, and I don't tend to feel very full on protein-heavy foods (for me quantity really does trump density).
  • teeduran
    teeduran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take vitamins and drink lots of water. Talk to you're Doctor. Eat more protein. change up slowly till you make sure it's not a medical thing.
  • stephweeks
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I'm finding I need to front-load my calories. I'm not usually all that hungry at dinner time, so I guess I should start making THAT the time I just have a huge salad.
  • stephweeks
    Options
    Agreed. I do drink a good amount of water (am the type to always carry a water bottle around) but I could work on that more. I also just started taking a multivitamin about two weeks ago. I am, however, seeing my doc in December, so if it isn't resolved by then I'll definitely bring it up. Thanks!
  • Don't drink too much water. 8 glasses is enough and anymore can make u feel woozy and lightheaded. Remember one bottle of water = TWO servngs of water
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Eggs, quinoa, carrots with hummus all help me feel full.
  • stephweeks
    Options
    I don't have as much of a problem with feeling full as I do just feeling WEAK. Today I've already had 43g of fat and 48g of protein and I STILL feel weak. I finally broke down and ate 5 small animal cracker-type cookies, and that's the only thing that made me feel better. Well, that and sitting down for a while.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't have as much of a problem with feeling full as I do just feeling WEAK. Today I've already had 43g of fat and 48g of protein and I STILL feel weak. I finally broke down and ate 5 small animal cracker-type cookies, and that's the only thing that made me feel better. Well, that and sitting down for a while.
    I'm going to repeat it: eat more FOOD. Food that will nourish you. Not just cookies and carbs. Nutrient dense foods. (like eggs, quinoa, hummus....)
  • mama2redhead
    mama2redhead Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian as well. I find that cooking vs processed food fills me up more and is more satisfying. some weeks I do better than others. Allrecipies.com and pinterest are great resources. If you are feeling weak, definitely up your protein, but also break your meals into larger snacks, so that you are eating something every 3 hours or so.

If you still aren't feeling well, definitely contact your doctor!
  • michaelalalalala
    Options
    I feel really weak when i dont do any exercise.. I can't see your diary so not sure if you are or not, but even adding in 30 min walks makes me feel so energised, especially after sitting inside at my desk for the whole day?

Also - i've found protein isn't a "fill me up now" food - it just makes you feel fuller for a longer period of time as opposed to a carb rich meal which fills you for an hour or so and leaves you starving afterwards - quinoa is a great way to get the protein and also feel like you've eaten quite a bit.

Definitely up your fats and protein levels and see how you go?
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You need more protein, but you say you are vegetarian? If you are just vegetarian and not vegan try cottage cheese its a great source of protein. Eggs are pretty good too.
  • swet02
    swet02 Posts: 52
    Options
    You might be eating few calories, gbut have you check the quality of the food you are taking? Quantity and quality
    of food is important, and do at least 30 min exercise a day. Also try to eat nuts for your protein or chicken, these are low calorie high in protein foods.
  • stephweeks
    Options
    Good suggestion for the cottage cheese! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that!
    Last year my doctor told me to only eat one egg a week because I have high cholesterol (despite consuming virtually no cholesterol?!), so unfortunately, despite LOVING eggs, I try to limit them.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Don't drink too much water. 8 glasses is enough and anymore can make u feel woozy and lightheaded. Remember one bottle of water = TWO servngs of water

We also get water in other drinks+foods.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Good suggestion for the cottage cheese! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that!
    Last year my doctor told me to only eat one egg a week because I have high cholesterol (despite consuming virtually no cholesterol?!), so unfortunately, despite LOVING eggs, I try to limit them.

I am not a doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but egg cholesterol will not harm you. Recent studies have shown that eggs, while high in cholesterol, will not raise your level of LDL (bad cholesterol).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Any chance you've had your iron tested recently? A deficiency (possibly anemia) could cause extreme fatigue, dizziness, etc.

Quinoa and greek yogurt are also great sources of protein. Check labels on the yogurt though as they're not all made alike. I prefer Fage or Chobani. Some of the other brands are "greek style" which isn't the same thing.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    A quick look at your diary shows a lack of protein, very little fat, and not very nutritionally good food....Red wine and cookies are OK, but not for dinner..lettuce does not have much nutritional value, and mini wheats for breakfast will make me pass out by ten...

Up your protein to at least 30% - have protein with every meal and snack, add good fats like avocado and nuts, and drop the cookies and wine every day...Make it a weekend treat or once a week...You cannot get along with minimal nutriton and lower calories....
    Your day is almost nothing but carbs, which will lead to ups and downs in blood sugar, which in turn will make you feel weak....

^^^ This is a good start.