Disney nerd seeks motivation!

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm Christine, a 25 y/o married gal with four fur babies. Used to work in Hollywood but have since left the biz to find something that doesn't take up at least 12 hours of my day, every day, and stress me out to no end. Ultimately, I was becoming unhappy.

By nature I'm a happy person! So I had to get out.

I'm moving on...

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys! I know there's a ton of knowledge and support out there, and I can't wait to see how we change our lives as we strive to be the best we can be. (I sounded like a Hallmark card there...ha!)

Anyhoos, my main goal is to slim down and get healthier. I'm in a weird gray area when it comes to body type...I'm not skinny, but I'm not a fattie. When I shop at Torrid, I'm the smallest size they offer, and I go there 'cause it's one of the few brands that fits my...how do I put this without sounding offensive...northern mountain range. ;) I'm aiming to lose about 40 pounds, but really I just want to fit into single-digit clothing. Hell, I'll take size 10! That's close enough!

I've tried this journey before. Tracked my weight weekly, taken bi-weekly progress pictures, watched my calories, and upped my water intake. I have mostly maintained amidst yo-yo-ing since I first started this weight loss stuff about 4 years ago (since most of my jeans from then still fit now), but I need to make this real. I need to figure out a way to add lifestyle changes in without feeling overwhelmed. I have Veruca Salt moments where my head is filled with "I WANT IT NOW!! I WANT TO BE A SIZE 8 NOWWWWWW".

Must send that inner Veruca Salt to time out, get my happy on, and meet my weight loss goals!

ETA: to explain the title of my thread, I'm a Disney geek. I love Disneyland and most everything about it. The history, the tradition, the magic, the details, the happiness, the romance...it is everything. Get me talking on the subject and I could go on for days. It is also a great place to walk around and get some exercise in! Too bad there's so many delectable foods and treats to distract you. And the Cove Bar at DCA...that is definitely a major distraction of mine. LOL

Replies

• mom2boyzinaz
    Options
    never been to the cove bar ??
  • audiophile
    Options
    Welcome, sweetie! :D Haha, I feel you on the size 8 stuff. Damn jeans just don't fit anymore.

Anyhow, Good luck! It's lovely to meet another Disney-geek on here *___*!
  • JillMaddox
    Options
    I <3 disney nerds.

You will do fine. Your energy shows in your post. Just channel that into some daily walking....keep an eye on your diet...you will be done in NO TIME.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    My lifestyle change recommendation is to eat real food, not processed food. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store and enjoy the fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, lean meats and dairy, some frozen vegetables and rely on as few canned/boxed, prepared items as possible. Learn to eat well at home before tackling the restaurant venues. I wish you well on your journey! You sound like a fun bubbly person!
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i'm a disney nerd too! :O) we going to the world in december.... counting down the days!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    mom2boyzinaz - Disneyland doesn't sell alcohol, with the exception of the exclusive Club 33. At Disney California Adventure, they DO serve alcohol, and the Cove Bar is the only full bar in that park. It is above Ariel's Grotto restaurant and is a great outdoor venue that looks over the lagoon, which now shows World of Color. You can even sit at Cove Bar and watch WOC from there.

Holton - I think that's great advice, thank you. I'm not that good of a cook so I really do rely on the boxed/easy to prepare meals. And, unfortunately, it is cheaper to not predominately shop the outer edges of the market. But, I'm going to try. :)

JillMaddox - You're right - I've got a ton of energy stored up in my personality, but when it comes to the physical stuff, I'm a lazy slug. LOL But I've got two puppies who aren't going to walk themselves.

scrappymel - I'm jealous. I've only been to WDW once, and that was two years ago. It is such a fantastic place. I especially love EPCOT. I could spend two weeks just in that park. Have a fantastic time! I bet that place is gorgeous during Christmas. In fact, aside from Halloween, that's my favorite time to visit Disneyland.

Hello to all of my fellow Disney nerds! :D
  • 2bthinsandy
    Options
    I love Disneyland too! Someone fell from the Tower of Terror today. =( At any rate, make Veruca Salt your beotch and tell her what to do.....that's what I'm trying to do anyway! Oh yes, and my ultimate goal is to have my clothing size small than my shoe size (8). ;)Sandy
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    2bthinsandy - I heard! It sounds like he was a careless guest who was goofing around and fell over the edge while waiting for his turn on the attraction from the second story loading platform. I've been up there many times - that railing isn't low by any means.

I like your style! That your goal is to have your clothing size be smaller than your shoe size. I may have to steal that from you! 'Cause my feet are a size 10.5. I'd be happy being the same size as my flippers.
  • staceybug13
    Options
    YAY for more Disney Dorks/Nerds! What's motivating me right now that is Disney related is: I have promised myself, that when I go to Disneyland this Spring, if I can fit into a certain size of clothing there, then I can get one full outfit, from the pants to the t-shirt to the sweatshirt that goes with it. I LOVE ANYTHING DISNEY, and my hubbie keeps reminding me of this.... it's helping me out a lot.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    YAY for more Disney Dorks/Nerds! What's motivating me right now that is Disney related is: I have promised myself, that when I go to Disneyland this Spring, if I can fit into a certain size of clothing there, then I can get one full outfit, from the pants to the t-shirt to the sweatshirt that goes with it. I LOVE ANYTHING DISNEY, and my hubbie keeps reminding me of this.... it's helping me out a lot.

That is a fantastic goal! Especially because they keep coming out with cuter and cuter clothes. Lots of stuff with Hidden Mickeys on 'em!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Fellow Disney nerd right here!! My biggest thing is the pin trading.. I love Ariel so I try to stick with her, and Tigger, then whatever else grabs my attention, which isn't hard to do lol...I'm embarassed to say how much I've spent on them over the past few years, both on ebay and when I've gone to the parks :blushing: . i'm in NJ so I've been to WDW the most frequent. I have to budget myself or I'd easily spend half a paycheck haha.

And Pink, I'm right there with ya, about the body image, weight, outbursts of wanting to be a size 8, you name it! When I started this i was right about the same weight as you, and while I've never been over 200lbs, I was pretty darn close, and was always the heavier girl in my group of friends, even in elementary school. So here's to Disney Dreams and healthy bodies!

Oh, and my profile pic is from the park in France, from about 2 years ago. I had to get a pic since I was rocking the yellow. :tongue:
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Fellow Disney nerd right here!! My biggest thing is the pin trading.. I love Ariel so I try to stick with her, and Tigger, then whatever else grabs my attention, which isn't hard to do lol...I'm embarassed to say how much I've spent on them over the past few years, both on ebay and when I've gone to the parks :blushing: . i'm in NJ so I've been to WDW the most frequent. I have to budget myself or I'd easily spend half a paycheck haha.

And Pink, I'm right there with ya, about the body image, weight, outbursts of wanting to be a size 8, you name it! When I started this i was right about the same weight as you, and while I've never been over 200lbs, I was pretty darn close, and was always the heavier girl in my group of friends, even in elementary school. So here's to Disney Dreams and healthy bodies!

Oh, and my profile pic is from the park in France, from about 2 years ago. I had to get a pic since I was rocking the yellow. :tongue:

I just can't get into the pin trading. I have a few (a couple Valentine's Day ones since that's my dating anniversary and we'd always be at DL, and the "I was there" Disneyland 50th birthday pin), but I'm not addicted. Let me know if you ever need me to keep an eye out for a certain Ariel pin here on the west coast for you!

We really do sound similar in all that you said. One of the things that frustrates me is that I put on most of my weight in middle school. I was an average size kid in elementary school, just short (was under 5ft. when I graduated 6th grade). Then family issues hit and dynamics changed (cryptic enough?) and eating habits changed like woah. Plus, I made TERRIBLE food choices. Since we weren't being served the prescribed cafeteria menu every day and there were oodles of choices, I often had grilled cheese for snack and chocolate ice cream or cup 'o noodles for lunch. :embarassed: Didn't get better in high school either. The lines at the student store were more often than not much shorter than the cafeteria lines, so Freshman year lunch was usually a soda and a bag of chips and candy. Looking back on that...WOW Thank God I was a cheerleader so I had physical activity to counteract the gross food I took in.

^ Geez I got long winded there. :yawn: Lo siento.

Back to the Disney...I'm SO jealous that you've been to DLP! I wanna go so bad. One of my bucket list goals is to visit every Disney park in the world. And I'm probably going to have to add sail on all of the DCL ships. I've been on the Wonder (aw honeymoon memories), but I gotta sail on the Magic and the Dream.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pink, if I see something online I'd def let you know!
    We went on a cruise the summer before I was a senior in high school. I believe it was the Magic. It was my first ever cruise and was sooo fun. I'd love to do another one. That was the start of the pin trading I very well remember!
    In elementary school I had a couple friends who were very very thin, by luck of genetics, so pretty much anyone looked big next to them. In high school I gradually gained, but I did marching band, and had been in dance classes all my life so that kept it at ease a bit. The biggest things that led to me eventually getting to where I ended up were flat out poor choices and overeating. Portion control meant nothing, and I was a prime example of the Freshman 15+ in college. I would eat when I'm bored and would just sit and eat with the tv on, so half of that was the mindless, shoving things in your mouth for the sake of having something to do.

My lunches weren't much better Pink! In high school I frequently had french fries, or a cheese pretzel for lunch, with some kind of beverage. Looking back on everything from when I was a kid, asking for snacks left and right, geez no wonder what happened!! Boy, the things I would love to tell my 5 year-old self lol.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ok I am a disney freak too. Right now I have on my pink mickey tshirt, mickey necklace, had a mickey watch but the band wore out. :sad: Oh and have a mickey purse. :embarassed: And Im not that young lol

Been to WDW never Disneyland. I have been at Christmas and it was the most beautiful thing ever. I have some pics of the Osbourne Lights that I will try to post If I can figure out how. Simply amazing. :love:

I can't understand how someone could fall off the TOT???!! You are in a pew like box in an elevator?? I don't get it? But really freaky and sad.
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    Good luck on your journey xxx
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Girl you've been on my friends list for a while now, so I know you know me. heheh :) Anyway, just take this one day at a time and focus on eating healthier and being more active. That's the it, chicka. No magic, just hard work.

By the way, is it just me or does the term "fattie" just sound really offensive? I mean, sheesh, I know I'm fat, and don't mind being called fat. It's just the word "fatty" or "fattie" that I take offense to as it just sounds so derogatory.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Ok I am a disney freak too. Right now I have on my pink mickey tshirt, mickey necklace, had a mickey watch but the band wore out. :sad: Oh and have a mickey purse. :embarassed: And Im not that young lol

Been to WDW never Disneyland. I have been at Christmas and it was the most beautiful thing ever. I have some pics of the Osbourne Lights that I will try to post If I can figure out how. Simply amazing. :love:

I can't understand how someone could fall off the TOT???!! You are in a pew like box in an elevator?? I don't get it? But really freaky and sad.

Get to Disneyland during Christmas. Just do it.

And don't worry, someone didn't actually fall off the ride vehicle. The queue for TOT at DCA is two levels in a big open room. The person who fell was goofing off and went over the railing on the second floor loading platform. They're OK - just stupid. BUT, I have been on it when the system was emergency stopped - it was New Year's Eve and when on the ride during the open part at the top, someone's top hat flew off their head and out the opening, triggering a safety sensor that then immediately shut down the ride. My group had been loaded into our elevator car, and moved back to get into position for the vertical shaft, and then nothin'. :laugh: It's fun being able to say I've been evac'd off of TOT.

By the way, is it just me or does the term "fattie" just sound really offensive? I mean, sheesh, I know I'm fat, and don't mind being called fat. It's just the word "fatty" or "fattie" that I take offense to as it just sounds so derogatory.

Oh Stacy I'm so sorry if I offended you! I didn't mean to hurt anyone, and I do see how it can be offensive. I wrote it in an alliteration sense in my OP. To me "fattie" is less offensive than "fat"...in my mind I guess the "ie" at the end makes it cuter and less harsh? I dunno how to explain myself properly. But I'm sorry. :embarassed:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options

Oh Stacy I'm so sorry if I offended you! I didn't mean to hurt anyone, and I do see how it can be offensive. I wrote it in an alliteration sense in my OP. To me "fattie" is less offensive than "fat"...in my mind I guess the "ie" at the end makes it cuter and less harsh? I dunno how to explain myself properly. But I'm sorry. :embarassed:

That's ok, sweetie. I know you didn't mean anything by it. :) *big hugs*
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options

That's ok, sweetie. I know you didn't mean anything by it. :) *big hugs*

*squeezles* right back
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I call myself a fattie all the time. haha. I do it mainly as a defense mechanism against non-fatties that like to insult the fatties, if that makes sense?

and. I would just like to say,you people are insane with Disney. ha. people think I am bad with it. But I am Australian, so we don't have parks to visit :(

I have never even been to Warner Brothers Movie World on the Gold Coast. But one day. ONE DAY. I will go to Disneyland.