Losing Weight In University? Help

Options
So my goal is to lose about 45 pounds by April/May and I'm currently a University student. the reason this is difficult for me is because all my meals are already cooked for me (not cafeteria style but we have a chef) still not exactly healthy. I'm trying to make the adjustments I can e.g eating less Carbs, eating more fruit, whole weat/grain etc etc but was wondering if there where any other tips. For exercise I've started going to the Gym 4 times a week and doing about 45 minutes of Cardio and 30 mins of weight lifting. If I keep this up will I actually be able to lose the 45 pounds or is there something I should be doing. As of last week, I've cut off Soda, Pizza, and just fast food in general. However one of my weaknesses is that I still like to drink so I will have beer during the weekends. Should I be cutting this off? I mean Beer is probably one of my weaknesses in terms of useless calories so I don't know what to do. Any advice in general is helpful. my goal is to lose 45 pounds by May and Ideally 55 pounds in September. Thanks

Replies

• SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My sister lost about 50lbs in college. She did basically what you did, count calories, exercise, focus on healthy food. You don't need to cut out beer entirely, however, I find that when I drink, even if I'm following my calorie limit, I retain more water and bloat, so maybe limit your beer intake. When I go out for beer, I try to get one that I can drink slower, like Guinness, and then drink fewer of them.
  • samprestonxo
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight in University. I actually lost a fair bit before I had to move back home. You're doing the right things in watching what you eat and exercising. Alcohol is weakness for a lot of University students (including me). The key is moderation. You don't have to give it up entirely, but limit the amount/how often. Are you drinking to get drunk, or just having a couple of casual beers? If you're drinking excessively, those beers add up and can be more of an issue.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while working at a university and eating lunch at the dining hall every day. So it is definitely possible. Most colleges are becoming increasingly health conscious and I bet the nutritional information for each week's meals are posted on-line. You could use that as a guide. I loaded meals I frequently ate into the "My Foods" area of my food diary, which made recall and entry a snap. I think it's highly likely that meal planning at your school is overseen by a Registered Dietician (RD) and he or she may be available to you for a consult. I bet he or she would be happy to work with you and assist you in your goal of losing weight.

Just some thoughts. Best Wishes!