Rescued puppy that was left to die -what is he?

Options
tiggerhammon
tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
My husband has been working up in the mountains, miles from any town. He sleeps in his truck at night, as there is no hotel anywhere near.
One night, late last week, he woke in the middle of the night. It was about 2am, snowing outside and he heard a dog crying. He went out looking and found this little guy tied to a tree. There were no tracks in sight, the puppy was skinny and very skittish. When my husband approached the dog cowered away, acting as if he was afraid my husband would hit him. (We did find marks too that we think are signs of abuse.)
The little guy ate everything he could get, like he was starving. He drank over 2 gallons of water the first day my husband had him.
He is home with me now, we have been feeding and caring for him and may keep him permanently. Not sure though because he has been playing a little rough with my daughter, if he can't learn to be soft with kids he will be moving to our friend's ranch before my baby is born.
I am posting this for a few reasons. One, I told a couple of my friends on here I would, mostly they wanted to see pics. Two, I am trying to figure out what kind of dog he might be, curious for some opinions. I am certain he is part blue heeler, but not sure what else he might be mixed with. Three, I have never had a dog before in my life and this dog needs some training. Any have any good book or website suggestions? Or even advice on training him. My husband is the one good with dogs but he is never home.
I am so happy someone explained to me not just 30 minutes ago how to post pictures so I can put these up.

eta: we think he is probably 5-6 months old

[img]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/TineiseDavenport/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20131122_193115.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/TineiseDavenport/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20131122_193239.jpg[/img]

Replies

• tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What an adorable looking puppy. He looks like he may have some Australian shepherd in him?

If he is nipping in puppy play what worked for our Chesapeake was bite inhibition. When he nips or nibbles give a really exagerrated response "OW" loud and sharp. They respond similar to if they had bitten a litter mate too roughly and heard a yip and they learn to soften their bite. Hope that makes sense. Worked wonders for us and carried over to hunting too cause the Chessie has a very soft mouth with birds :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    :sad: i cant see him
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Blue heeler
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    It's a blue heeler. :smooched:

Eta: take him to the vet for a checkup and vaccinations and they should be able to advise if he is mixed or full blue heeler. I hope it works out for you and him.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    cattle dog/ heeler
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Soooo cute! Cattle dog and some Heeler I'd say. Thank you for being an awesome pet person!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    He is adorable!!! I agree with bringing him to the vet as I am sure he has probably not been vaccinated. People who rescue dogs are wonderful people!!! :-)
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    He is very, very lucky to have found a good home!

I only got dogs a couple of years ago - I watched every episode of Cesar Milan 'Dog Whisperer' on Youtube and read all his books.

But if you have two small children a high energy dog (that needs to be taken for a swift walk at least 45mins a day + 30-60mins training) could be a bit of a stretch.

Well done you guys for saving him though!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    We will be taking him to the vet after pay day.
    He is going to need fixed too.

I Google Imaged Australian Cattle Dog and Blue Heeler Mix - I think this is him :) Thanks everyone!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    He is a heeler or cattle dog! Beautiful boy.... being a cattle dog/heeler he will need to be trained, given his age the sooner the better. They are such loving and beautiful animals, he would never harm your child on purpose but getting training in soon will teach him to be obedient and heel if he is getting too excitable playing with them. Having said that, they are (as the name suggests) cattle dogs or farm dogs, if you think he would be happy with your friends, the ranch might be the best place for him so he can run around freely.

Bless you for rescuing the pup, it breaks my heart people would abuse an animal :( good karma is coming your way!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Soooo cute! Cattle dog and some Heeler I'd say. Thank you for being an awesome pet person!

You are my new favorite person on this site. I'll never understand the cruelty of people to abuse an animal but find so much happiness when I know there are people like you and your husband who care.. thank you and good luck!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I recommend Jean Donaldson and Ian Dunbar. A good website is dogstardaily. It's not much like the dog whisperer. Take your lovely new puppy for lots of walks. Have rules and use treats to teach, and socialize him with men, women, children, people with facial hair, hats etc. and make sure to do it all over again when he is about nine months to a year. He's lovely, I think the breed has lots of energy, and I'm so glad you found him:)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    awe cute can we track the person down and tie them to a tree. poor dog thank you and your family for showing him love
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler)- I have one myself and she is the best dog in the world. We have cattle, but she mostly herds our chickens. They can be very dominant and need a strong leader. She is fine with my oldest son, but my youngest she tries to nip at. We are working with her on that, it helps if they can be exhausted through long walks or runs and lots of fetch. They are extremely smart and very trainable. My Bindi puts her toys up and can sit and stay on command. I never had much luck training dogs before, but she's so darn smart she picks up on everything I teach her.
  • onmyown326
    Options
    Happy ending...but people SUCK!!!!:explode:
  • pinktac0
    Options
    A BLUE!! and a gorgeous one at that AMAZING DOGS SOOO LOYAL! you are good people for rescuing him/her. if you can't keep him ill take him
  • pinktac0
    Options
    Happy ending...but people SUCK!!!!:explode:

ya and what she said :(
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler)- I have one myself and she is the best dog in the world. We have cattle, but she mostly herds our chickens. They can be very dominant and need a strong leader. She is fine with my oldest son, but my youngest she tries to nip at. We are working with her on that, it helps if they can be exhausted through long walks or runs and lots of fetch. They are extremely smart and very trainable. My Bindi puts her toys up and can sit and stay on command. I never had much luck training dogs before, but she's so darn smart she picks up on everything I teach her.

put the toys up thats what i need to train the dogs to do I never even thought of that!! good idea. I assume they grab it, you walk over to the basket tell them to drop it and then give them a treat?
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I don't know specifics about the breed but generally, to raise a puppy...

Crate train. I always let my dogs sleep with me, but crate them while at work or away until they are older and trusted to not tear things up or go potty in the house. My 2 jack russels went 3 years without being in a crate and I recently started using one again at certain times. If we have company they go nuts at first so I put them in there and they are calm, one is scared of storms and likes to go in when its thundering, and the best is traveling in the car with them in the crate. It is a comforting safe place for them, not for punishment.

Get some Nylabones to keep him occupied when you cant play with him, and rope or tug of war type toys to play with you. Teach him what toys are vs anything he wants to chew in the house. This should also help with the nipping. Does he still have baby teeth? For the puppy bites, I used to turn my dogs' lip under its tooth while it was "biting" and calmly / sternly say NO. It kept my hand from getting scratched and let's them know that it hurts!

If there are any habits you might not want him to have when he's older, start on those now. For example, if you don't want him on the furniture when he's bigger, he can't get on now. I wish my couch wasn't constantly covered in hair, but I'd rather vacuum constantly than not snuggle them every night. :smooched: If I decided to try to keep them off at this point, there is no way they would have it. Lol

Hope that helps!