why is heavy lifting so f**** important?!

Options

Replies

• jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is great, but not essential .... However, adding some sort of strength training (Pilates (reformer), Ashtanga yoga, body weight ecxercises, resistance bands, etc.) , is important to: prevent osteoporosis, preserve (or gain) lean body mass, reduce BF% I.e. make you less "fluffy", etc. ...

thanks hun! thats what i thought too :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVJKXkFVk0 Suspension trainer. I use it. I love it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    As long as you have continuous progression, then you don't have to lift heavy. I do. But that's not saying you have to.

Progression is the key.

This.

Heavy lifting is a shortcut also. It's much more efficient than body weight. Plus it makes me feel like a super hero. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    every thread i read is "heavy lift this and heavy lift that, honestly!! what if some of us cant go to a gym or cant afford the equipment are we all doomed??? isn't strength training using your own body weight good enough???

Yes, it is, depending one your goals.

Just make sure you incorporate progressive loading.

Look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy and I'm pretty much exactly where I want to be in terms of cardiovascular fitness and body composition. I follow an endurance-focused, medium weight/higher repetition program. It's helped me to maintain my lean body mass and it gives me the stamina I need to keep up my love of hiking/backpacking.

I had tried lifting heavy for a while, but I found that my endurance wasn't as good as it had been, so I went back to my other program. Also, heavy/deep squats really irritate one of my knees. My orthopedist told me that with my specific issues, I really shouldn't go beyond parallel, and I really shouldn't go that heavy.

is ur exercise something that may be done at home?

Yes - I have a barbell, a variety of plates and a collection of dumbbells from 5-25 lbs. I do everything in my basement. :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    sure don't lift.. just stay flabby.

so im gonna be flabby for not heavy lifting???

No. You can maintain your muscle without heavy lifting. But you should do some kind of resistance training.
  • jigglyone
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm achieving very good results with body-weight strength training.

This is the program I use (it is progressive) - no equipment needed:

13573420.jpg

Now, that said, I probably would be getting faster results lifting heavy weights. But I don't have access to them, so I do body weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You do NOT need to lift heavy to not be flabby. This is exactly the sentiment that pisses people off, and it's just not true.

Incorporate some resistance training so you maintain muscle mass while dieting, but also it has huge benefits outside that - it is metabolically beneficial, increases/preserves bone density and a slew of other things. However, your do NOT have to lift heavy. Resistance training =/= only lifting heavy.
  • jigglyone
    Options

You do NOT need to lift heavy to not be flabby. This is exactly the sentiment that pisses people off, and it's just not true.

Incorporate some resistance training so you maintain muscle mass while dieting, but also it has huge benefits outside that - it is metabolically beneficial, increases/preserves bone density and a slew of other things. However, your do NOT have to lift heavy. Resistance training =/= only lifting heavy.

bless you! thx hun!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I run ... I love it, but strength training helps me with this ... stronger muscles help stabilize me (preventing injury) and help me propel myself, thus making me faster ...

ETA: I think people get confused ... Heavy Lifting, is NOT the ONLY for of strength training ... And, if not done properly, can actually be quite detrimental (newbies should have at least on session with a qualified fitness professional before embarking on a lifting program) ... Anything can hurt you if not done properly, but one is more apt to be hurt by lifting heavy weight improperly, than using resistance bands ...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Trust me Suspension trainer or sandbags =P
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Well. I was nervous about it too. It sounded scary and dangerous. But...then you start doing it and it's kind of addictive. And it changes your body like nothing else- you start getting so firm and sexy...and everything else in life seems so much easier, from just carrying your kids up the stairs to any form of cardio you might try. It gives you confidence. It makes men half your age run down the street to tell you you are beautiful. You just feel so fabulous you want everyone else to feel that way too. So, yeah, it's hard to hold back the enthusiasm sometimes. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Here's what a body without heavy lifting (and crap loads of cardio to boot) looks like...

cristiano-ronaldo-1-435.jpg
  • jigglyone
    Options
    Here's what a body without heavy lifting (and a crap loads of cardio to boot) looks like...

cristiano-ronaldo-1-435.jpg

yay!! my sexy portugie!!!! viva cristiano ronaldo!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    what I think is quite ironic is that many people who scoff at just doing body weight exercises and promote only heavy lifting can't do proper pullups. :laugh:

Just about every professional athlete will incorporate some resistance training into their program.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

6'1", under 170 pounds, not an ounce of unnecessary fat OR bulk on that body. Almost makes sorry I don't swing that way. :laugh:
  • jigglyone
    Options
    what I think is quite ironic is that many people who scoff at just doing body weight exercises and promote only heavy lifting can't do proper pullups. :laugh:

SOO TRUE!!! :laugh: :drinker:
  • jigglyone
    Options

6'1", under 170 pounds, not an ounce of unnecessary fat OR bulk on that body. Almost makes sorry I don't swing that way. :laugh:

lol :laugh:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Just about every professional athlete will incorporate some resistance training into their program.

Stop talking about me Chris.
This discussion has been closed.