Newbie to the gym

Options
So I do not have a full gym to workout in, I use a hotel's gym (where I work so it's free). Problem is I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to the weight system. They have the poster up but I'm still confused. Does anyone know what a good site would be for someone to look at videos of weight system workouts?

Replies

• clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Does the gym have mostly machines, free weights or both?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

Will show you instructional videos on every lift you could use, every machine you could workout on, every strategy and workout plan you could want to fit your personal style.

Like, me for example. I can't stand using machines. They allow you a certain amount of "cheat" in them. A perfect example would be the lat pulldown, where you grab the bar above you and pull a weight suspended from a cable down to your chest.

Frequently, near the end of my set, as I tire, I find myself more and more using my chest and back and core to assist the movement, when the idea behind machines is to isolate one muscle group.

But I'm a conventional bodybuilding type, I'm looking to increase muscle mass so I don't wind up looking "skinny fat". Other people have other goals. So start there, what are your goals, and what kinds of ways of measuring yourself do you want to use?

Are you looking to just lose fat or would you like to reshape your physique? A perfect article to read would be this:
    http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-get-a-body-like-jessica-biel/
  • lindzann88
    lindzann88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are no free weights, only the machine. Eventually I'd like to get a membership but it's just not in the budget when I can use the hotel's for free.

I'll check out the website and see if I can get some help. Thank you!