Dining out

Options
I'm meeting friends tonight for wine and appetizers. It's a Thai/Indian place with no on-line menu. What to choose....how to choose? We have a long tradition of ordering food to share so it's majority rules. And we have a member who diligently divvies up the food so no 'just leaveing' it' either. I should enjoy these kind of gatherings but I hate them for what they do to my resolve. Any suggestions??

Replies

• lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Go to the website of another similar restaurant and see if they have a menu. The dishes won't be identical but there will be similarities and it may help you get an idea of what to expect.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

There is no real harm in having 'one night off' from being good, in my opinion. I would go along and just have a good time and then make sure that you stick to your daily targets every other day of the week and I'm sure it will be fine. These kind of gatherings are not enjoyable if you are worrying about the calories all the time. Just use the fact that you have had an evening off to strengthen your resolve. It really only becomes a problem if you are regularly exceeding your calorie targets.

C
  • YVONNEWATTS
    Options
    I would go for non-creamy sauces - something like a saslik and then you can put as much or as little sauce as you like. Try to stay away from the Nan!!! Chipaties are a good alternative, boiled rice aswell..

That make it sound so boring though, have a night off as the other lady suggested!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    One night won't break your lifestyle. You can make healthy choices, and just not choose to eat the unhealthy foods. Drink water through out the night. Make sure you get an exercise session in, before, or after the night. Also it may help to have a low cal, small meal/snack before you go, so you will not be famished. I tend to make less healthy choices when I am hungry. Its too easy to grab "whatever" when you are hungry!
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    Finding a place with a similar menu will help as a previous poster said. I know I've dined out 3 times since starting MFP and I usually try to eat lighter that day, and do a little extra calorie burning the next few days to stay on track. If you don't want to do that, there's nothing wrong with just letting it rip for one night as long as you can get refocused the next day.
  • Callmefia
    Options
    I agree with above poster about no harm in enjoying yourself from time-to-time.

However, if you want to really stay within your limits, why not be firm about it? Tell them you can't eat what they've selected, so you will order your own appetizer that is healthy - they can do their sharing among themselves.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I would talk to and explain to your friends that you are watching what you eat and you will not cave in...and order something that is better for you.

you can also exersice a little more that day to have more calories to spare if you do choose to indulge.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Your calories will probably be high with Thai food.
    But it is soooo good. Just watch your portion
    control and be mindful of the dishes you pick.
    Good Luck and enjoy!!