Can't stop binging!

Options
I can't stop binging out on food! I don't have weight to lose I'm just trying to keep the same 115 pounds but lately I've been binging on pretty much anything I can get my hands on. I'll make one mistake a day and they think that I might as well eat more bad food and try again tomorrow and after it I'm so depressed and unhappy. How can I stop this and stop caring and thinking about food so much!! Everything I do revolves around food and when I'm eating next

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    When people say they binge on food, they usually mean carbohydrates. Hardly anyone binges on chicken breast.
    You see, carbs beget carbs. Eating a sugary dessert or high carb food spikes your blood insulin level while the sugar is processed, but then you run out of sugar to process and still have high blood insulin levels. This insulin finds nothing for it to bond with, which causes your body to think that you are low on sugar (because in our ancestral environment there weren't such things as cupcakes), which makes you crave sugar so you go in search of something sweet. Basically it is millions of years of evolution insisting that you must be starving because your insulin levels are higher than the available sugars suggest and thereby messing up your diet plans.
    It used to be that fat and sugar were rare and our ancestors had to work hard to get them, which burned more calories. Our bodies learned to crave them so that we would be willing to expend the effort to climb that tree and get the sweet fruit, or hunt down the heavier (larger) fat carrying animals. Things like cupcakes and Snickers bars are super-stimuli. They push all of our ancestral craving buttons, but offer none of the nutrition that fat and sugar used to represent (healthy meat and nutritious fruits). One cupcake can be upwards of 500 calories. Do you have any idea how much meat that is? How many apples or oranges?
    I tell you all of this because knowing it has helped me to say no to those things. It doesn't fix the cravings, but it gives me a mental anchor to hold on to when those cravings try to pull me into the local bakery.

My suggestion would be to change your macro goals to be higher in protein (at least 1g per lb of bodyweight (2g per kg) and then make your fat and carbs at least a 50/50 split for the remainder of your calories.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean it's really hard for me too. But I have the app on my phone and sometimes I will just try logging everything I eat. Also tell people about what you are doing that May help. But then again it's kind of hard because with how much I have lost everyone either knows because how much I have shrunk or because I told them so people will say did you lose your weight by eating chips/cookie/ice cream. Which gets annoying when it's just random classmates that are overweight themselves. Buts it's helpful when my family and friends know so they don't bring me a donut for breakfast at least not everyday.
  • jennjychung
    jennjychung Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's tough being a female. We just have hormonal cravings especially during that time of the month. I turn into a monster and can't control myself from eating everything in my cabinets. I do find that if I keep a bag of apples handy I'll be less likely to pop my 5th bag of kettle corn. One way I found to cut back is to simply not buy any of those tempting snacks that can lead you down a path of doom. I buy a bag of apples every week so whenever I get a craving I'll just have an apple. Even though fruit is still high in sugar content, it's not processed sugar and leaves you full longer. Good luck