Any recommended strength training workout plans?

Options
2»

Replies

• Runningcircuits
    Options
    Saving for reference.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Adding to my topics! Lots of good information ;)
  • I also follow her on instagram! I have purchased one of her plans I believe it was her shred plan...or basic lifting guide I'm not too sure...I'm more of a book person and she just gives you an excel spreadsheet with little to no help for thirty dollars...I wouldn't recommend it! I've also read NROLW and I do enjoy the book but it freaks me out when the author says no cardio...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    New Rules moved away from the compound lifts too quickly in my opinion, after Phase 1. I recommend Nia Shanks.

The only reason people like New Rules is because it says "For Women" in the title. It has such poor explanations and diagrams for how to do lifts (especially squats).

Not necessarily.

Yes, it is an easy selling point marketing wise, but more than just having the words "for women" in the title it also goes to great lengths to counter the conventional advice giving to women trying to lose weight. As someone who had worked out for years (DVDs, classes, various cardio, and dabbled with heavy lifting) I still found it reassuring to have a programme that explained what to do, why to do it, and how to do it. Although, I do agree that there is probably not enough focus on the major compound lifts, and would recommend looking outside of the book for instructions on form.

I agree, there is a lot of good info for women in the book, it tackles a lot of myths and addresses things like how hormones effect women, which you would not find in a general lifting manual not geared specifically for women. But I felt the workouts were unnecessarily complicated.

I recommend the book literally all the time, and I am a MAN. I actually bought the book and read it, just to see if I should recommend it around here since I kept hearing about it. Maybe the title markets to women, but the info inside is spot on and great. The descriptions for the exercises aren't perfect, but there's no BS in this book.
  • sadrac4683
    sadrac4683 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah I also disagree with people only liking it because it says "for women" in the title as well. As someone who has done it, which I assume the person who commented that hasn't, I found it to be a great beginners program. And the book itself I feel had a lot of quality info in it for people new to lifting. There are also a couple of other new rules books out which although they aren't mentioned as often here people still like, even though they don't say "for women" in them.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yeah I also disagree with people only liking it because it says "for women" in the title as well. As someone who has done it, which I assume the person who commented that hasn't, I found it to be a great beginners program. And the book itself I feel had a lot of quality info in it for people new to lifting. There are also a couple of other new rules books out which although they aren't mentioned as often here people still like, even though they don't say "for women" in them.

Actually I have read some of it because I was curious about the hype. The program is overly complicated in my opinion and the instructions of the big lifts are overly simplified.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

Actually I have read some of it because I was curious about the hype. The program is overly complicated in my opinion and the instructions of the big lifts are overly simplified.
    Yep I assumed you had read some of it to be able to comment on what it was like, but I would be more inclined to take advice from the (probably thousands) of women here who have done it and liked it (myself included), rather than the one guy who hasn't and doesn't.
    That being said i'm sure there are some people who have tried it who feel the same as you, but since i've never seen even one, compared to the amount I have seen who love it I think they would be in the vast minority. I also disagree with the program being complicated and the instructions not being good, as a beginner at the time I found it all very simple to work through and learn.
    Either way, OP can decide for themselves if they decide to read the book, but I don't think its fair at all to say that its not that good and shouldn't be bothered with.