Help with workout ideas and bum knee

Options
Hi,
First I am in a remote part of Africa and don't have access to regular workout stuff. I have been doing sprints, burpees, jumping rope, flipping a tractor tire I bought, doing situps and plants. That said I hurt my knee somehow and want to rest it a week but still want to workout. Any ideas?

I was thinking of getting some cardio dancing type dvds but some of those still may hurt the knee. I will add I really hate cardio unless its hiking and prefer lifting but I can deal with it short term.

Thanks for the help!

Patty

Replies

• samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How about having a go with Pilates? That will be low impact, doesn't require much kit, is very demanding and should strengthen your core which will help with heavy lifting and your knee (lots of knee problems, mine included are to do with weak glutes and hips). I'm like you, I like heavy lifting but when I can't get to the gym or out for a run I do Pilates on my living room floor :)
  • If you've been doing vigorous cardio, it's possible you've got runner's knee. I get it a LOT. Definitely take as much rest as you need because you could end up with shin splints next and then you'd be out for a month if not more.

I used to hate running, but I started doing it more and more, so now I love it... but I still kind of hate it.

If you like dancing, that might actually be the thing for you! It's all about finding what works for you and having fun with it. For me, running and stripping are my favorite. Running helps me clear my head, and during morning runs it wakes me up. Stripping is just a LOT of fun. So try a bunch of different things (when your knee is better, of course) and then see which one is the most fun for you. If your knee continues to bother you, see a doctor, OR invest in a knee brace and get your shoes fitted, because that was my major problem when I got runner's knee and shin splints. Shoes can be a big factor in your workouts and preventing injury.

Hope that helps! :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great. Any mat work where you lie down is really great with a bum knee or foot, etc. There are ballet conditioning exercises called 'Floor Barre' that is ballet done lying down, believe it or not :) A good example that I know is online in full is called "Ballet Bootcamp II". It has a lot of standing parts, but it has a lot of floor barre too.

Also, the NYC Ballet workouts might be online. They have different exercises, but it's a more boring workout by far because of the narrator and organization. But, that's certainly stuff that can get some conditioning in! You can do it as fast as you like, really, once you know the moves. Just always watch your form :)

Good luck, and I hope your knee gets better soon!