Hard having a boyfriend working away during the week

Options
2»

Replies

• redgem666
    Options
    My boyfriend and I see each other only on the weekends, and sometimes every other weekend. At first it was very difficult, I wanted to see him every day! and I still do, but under current circumstances it isn't possible. I am currently unemployed which gives me tooooo much time to think about him :p. I actually used this as an opportunity though. I started working out and set goals for myself. It's also nice not seeing him all of them time because he notices little changes about me that I don't even notice :p. For you living I'm another country can be hard to get used to as it is. Take the extra time to explore where you live, enjoy the culture! You are allowing go yourself to become depressed, been there done that, snap yourself out of it! Best thing would be meeting new friends, makes a huge difference! You probably don't feel like it but you will thank yourself later if you do. I hope you feel better :)

Yes! I do need to snap myself out of it and get out of my own head sometimes. I'm glad you were able to find your way with time to yourself and I need to do the same. Some days get to me more than others and you're right, I will thank myself later for getting out there :)
    Take care
  • redgem666
    Options
    I can understand to some degree. Being an expat is hard! It can be very intimidating knowing you're in a new country with minimal familiar resources available to you.

That being said, it seems a little silly that your whole world takes a downward spiral simply because you're boyfriend isn't attached at the hip. Reality check: you've been given a huge opportunity that many will never have. You can either embrace it and take full advantage of it or you can waste it away sitting at home moping. Not trying to be harsh, just speaking from my own experience. Take a more mature, holistic perspective of it and I have no doubt you'll find yourself a lot happier and healthier :flowerforyou:

Hey,
    I agree and sometimes it helps to get a reality check on your situation. I feel like it's silly to get down like this too which is why I was asking for others experience. It helps snap you out of being so absorbed, or so I feel. You weren't being harsh, don't worry. I appreciate the honesty :)
  • redgem666
    Options
    Reality check: you've been given a huge opportunity that many will never have. You can either embrace it and take full advantage of it or you can waste it away sitting at home moping.

Yeah that - I am also an ex-pat so I can understand how hard it is, but you need to step back and decide how you can make this work.
    It is all up to you, and this will be an amazing experience if you let it.
    Search out Ex-pat forums on the web in your area (trust me - there are loads out there).
    Menu plan and add exercise to your daily schedule.
    Make a list of things you want to do and see that you wouldn't ever be able to do if you were not in Italy.

Make the most of this opportunity, because even the long hard days will not last forever.

Nice to hear from another ex-pat! Thanks for the suggestions. I know I need to do those things, I think I just let myself get a little overwhelmed at times. It is a wonderful opportunity and I am very grateful for it. It's learning how to handle the more complicated mental side of it all whilst settling in :) You're right about making a decision on how to handle this though.
  • redgem666
    Options
    The alpha male has to go on the hunt

What you are feeling is normal .

Short but sweet haha. Thanks, that actually made a lot of sense ;)
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I actually find the opposite effect with looking after myself:

My partner runs a restaurant so, especially in the lead up to Christmas, she works late most evenings and weekends.

I find that I have the time to go to the gym and as I'm only cooking for one it's a lot easier to keep on track because I only have to think about myself. When she's home it goes out the window!

Good luck!
  • lindyrbtsn
    lindyrbtsn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    NOVEMBER START 0.00 MILES
    DAY 01-10 11.5 MILES
    DAY 11-20 12.4 MILES
    DAY 21-26 04.5 MILES

NOVEMBER TO DATE 28.40 MILES

exercise.png