Thin person trying to get thinner

Options
I have never been "fat" so to speak. I have never had a problem being bullied by others, rather I hold myself up to exacting standards.

Im 5'8 and just a little over 60kg ( i got down to 58.5 once) but im finding it really hard to lose that LAST 2/3 kg .

I think its so much harder for thin people to get thinner. Any advice from people who are quite slim and have successfully lost even MORE weight.

for example a 60kg girl like me, going to 55kg

Replies

• afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm around the same as you.

It is hard to get the last few pounds off. However, what I suggest is... don't focus on the weight. You don't need to lose weight! Just focus on working your bum off and getting toned. You will lose FAT but not muscle!.

Work out an accurate TDEE and stick to it. Just work out more.

L x
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What does the last 2kg signify? Still got a soft tummy?

I mean, if weight is everything, dehydrate, cut your hair short or wear fewer clothes. Otherwise, what if you weighed 70kg but looked leaner and fitter?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to lose a little body fat rather than scale weight?
  • Flex382
    Flex382 Posts: 257
    Options
    whats you macro intake?
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes this is probably the case, i stil have a slight bump on my tummy, i.e its not completely flat but ive always been told you cant lose from specific places...its a case of reducing your overall weight rather than "getting rid of bingo wings or a pouch"

Mayby this is wrong? i dont know
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    No it's true. You can't spot reduce!

But losing more scale weight isn't always the answers either. You're at a good weight! Workout his much calories you need throughout the day, eat at that level, maybe 100-200 below and workout, include some resistance training.

I want to say Luft heavy, hut people tend to shout when you do that, so just some resistance training, that will get your muscles working and your fat melting. You won't get 'toned' from cardio alone
  • Flex382
    Options
    Yes this is probably the case, i stil have a slight bump on my tummy, i.e its not completely flat but ive always been told you cant lose from specific places...its a case of reducing your overall weight rather than "getting rid of bingo wings or a pouch"

Mayby this is wrong? i dont know

That can be lost. All my clients can tell you that.
  • Flex382
    Options
    No it's true. You can't spot reduce!

But losing more scale weight isn't always the answers either. You're at a good weight! Workout his much calories you need throughout the day, eat at that level, maybe 100-200 below and workout, include some resistance training.

I want to say Luft heavy, hut people tend to shout when you do that, so just some resistance training, that will get your muscles working and your fat melting. You won't get 'toned' from cardio alone

agreed with last to sentences
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have never been "fat" so to speak. I have never had a problem being bullied by others, rather I hold myself up to exacting standards.

Im 5'8 and just a little over 60kg ( i got down to 58.5 once) but im finding it really hard to lose that LAST 2/3 kg .

I think its so much harder for thin people to get thinner. Any advice from people who are quite slim and have successfully lost even MORE weight.

The reason many thin (to underweight) people struggle isn't a weight issue, it's a composition issue. In many cases, they do NOT have enough muscle mass to give them a low enough body fat % and don't have enough muscle to give them the definition they want. Most of the time, we suggest eating around maintenance, lifting heavy and hoping for some recomposition or if you want to do it the faster way, do a few cut and bulk cycles. I will say, the recomposition way can take up to a year.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 24ys old, 5ft 3" and my heaviest adult weight was 121lbs which was not over weight or unhealthy for my height but I did not like the way I looked. I lost 22lbs relatively easily to get down to 99lbs (profile pic 99lbs) and now I fluctuate within the 99-103lbs range.

I do think that if you are already a healthy weight then weight loss can be slower as you just don't have as much to lose but I don't think its harder, the same rules apply.

Someone with a lot to lose who is very overweight must already have been eating a significantly higher number of cals than they are expending for a prolonged period of time so they can lose at quite a fast rate when they first start to make a lifestyle change just by eating less cals and not even neccessarily introducing exercise straight away.

When you are already fairly slim and maintaining your weight but you then decide you want to lose a bit, it would be a fair assumption that you are already eating a sensible number of calories in the first place relative to your activity level so you either have to restrict your cals or up your exercise but you have much smaller margins to work with in terms of eating less as you are already eating a lot less in the first place than someone very overweight.

It took me 6-7months to lose the 22lbs and it was fairly painless to be honest, I just ate a bit less, made sure I tracked everything accurately and weighed all my food and then I started to do strength training alongside the dvd workouts and boxing that I already did.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to be the carrier of bad news. A small tummy is the adult female form. If you want to follow the fashion worlds, prepubescent boyish figure then reducing body fat is the way to go. What you must remember is, as a female you need a certain level of body fat to function, I don't have that level in my head at the moment.

Female athletes develop menstrual issues in their attempts to be the best they can in their area of expertise. This with other problems is a very high price to pay. But this is only my opinion.

Take care and I hope you achieve your dreams.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BTW, to demonstrate what I mean by bulk/cut results. Look at the below link. More specifically, compare 120 to 130. Staci is a power lift.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When you are already thin, you can lose weight still; it just comes off slower. Now that I'm almost to my goal, I only lose .5 pound a week. Put your stats into an online TDEE calculator and see what your TDEE is. You have to eat under that number consistently to lose weight. Because you'll be losing slowly, it is harder to see on the scale due to water weight fluctuations, but if you consistently eat at a deficit, it will come off. You just have to be really patient and disciplined. Workout at least three times a week, drink lots of water, and keep your protein intake high.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Im at around your height and a few lbs heavier than you.

For me to get to 60KG it is such hard work, I have to cut out the carbs, dairy, sugar etc... and be really really good. I always manage to get down but cant maintain it.

I have sort of come to the conclusion that my body is supposed to be this weight as I always hoover around 61-63kg. Not bad considering my height and how much and what I eat......!!!
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to define your body, you will need to mix in some weight and resistance training.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I am a bit taller than 5'5'' and weigh around 100 (very petite build). I lost the "extra" weight because I wanted to get rid of some undesirable bumps and lumps (tummy and cellulite on butt). And while i did manage to get rid of most of my tummy fat, and my butt looks less lumpy...exercise is what i really needed. Thus, I have started to exercise. Starting off slow and building up. I see the light about exercise now. I never did before.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Your title says it all. It sounds like you have body image issues.. I suggest talking to a professional.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am a bit taller than 5'5'' and weigh around 100 (very petite build). I lost the "extra" weight because I wanted to get rid of some undesirable bumps and lumps (tummy and cellulite on butt). And while i did manage to get rid of most of my tummy fat, and my butt looks less lumpy...exercise is what i really needed. Thus, I have started to exercise. Starting off slow and building up. I see the light about exercise now. I never did before.

you also need the right exercise... just doing cardio wont necessarily get you the body you want
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Your BMI is only 16.6--You are seriously underweight. IMO you need some help!