Woman's Bike

Options
13»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think for a short commute to work a 'big box store' bike is plenty. I have expensive bike shop bikes and a Costco hybrid that's been running without needing a part for 12 years.

If the OPs budget was a little higher I would agree with you. It's undoubtedly true you can get some great, well specced bikes from big box stores.

However at $200 a new bike will be full of unnecessary compromises on parts and frame quality in comparison to second hand and more suitable for a Sunday afternoon pootle rather than commuting I suspect (I am based in the UK so can't be sure though what the market is like in the US.)

Not saying it can't be done around that mark (the Vitus Vee-1 is about £300 as is the B'Twin Triban 3 which are both great) just it will be far less likely. I'd rather rely on a second hand Reynolds 531 frame bike than the majority of stuff that gets churned out at low price points these days....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You're probably right. The Costco Northrocks probably start at $299. I like buying new on most things. The ability to return something is worth a lot to me. But Craigslist has some great deals, too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cannondale Quick.

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/category/view/s/quicks-2014/id/994/

They come in at a wide range of price points, just pick the trim level most suitable for you.