Beginner runners group

Options
I'm starting to train for a 10k in May. I ran last night. It was not a very good run. But I made it. Share your run and how it is going for you. If you are running for the fun of it or training.

Replies

• Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started running to loose weight and get in shape. Now I do it for those reasons and because I have learned to enjoy it. I try to run a 5k at lease every other month and want to do a 10k one day.

When I started I couldn't even do the c25k program cause I couldn't run 1 minute. Now I can go 2 miles before a walk break. Working on running the whole 5k without walking. I amaze myself with what I have accomplished. Plus I love fitting into smaller, cuter clothes.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    When I started I couldn't even get pass c25k week 4. I stopped doing the program. And started running a half a mile. And kept on add a half mile until I can run a 5k without stopping. I have finished my 2nd 5k without having to walk at all.

Im going to do a Full Marathon Relay in May. So I will have to run 5.5 miles. I can do it. I want to do a 5 or 10k every other month this summer.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I ran last night 2 miles and it felt great. How was your run?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm a newish runner myself. Less of a run and more of a chunky butt shuffle, but it's running to me. I ran my first race Oct. 27th this year, 10K. It felt awesome. My goal for 2014 is to run 1 race per month, either 5 or 10K, for the whole year. On top of that I signed up for the Tour de Cure and will be riding 100 miles on June 7th.

When I first started running I was ready to pass out after the first 30 seconds! I learned to SLOW DOWN and concentrate on my breathing. Like the other poster said, I started for weight loss and health. I continue to run because I enjoy the stress release it gives me. I enjoy the time to myself. And it's funny, as I'm lost in my thoughts I rarely hear the doubting voice in my head that tells me I'm going to fail.

Not real happy heading into winter as I was born and raised in the south, moved to Michigan, and have yet to get adjusted to the winters. Not looking forward to running in 15 degrees and snow. I'm sure to avoid the outdoors when there is ice!

Happy Running!!!
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Geez, I ran 2 miles yesterday morning and I was like running through mud. I have never been so happy in my life to have a workout end.

I'm not sure what was up with me. I have my 5k tomorrow so I'm hoping it was just a fluke; maybe I'm tired.

I've been training with a local team for the run tomorrow but I think I'm going to continue to interval training through the winter and try for an 8k in late March. I tried C25K a few times but could never made the the big jump in week 4 (maybe week 5?). The interval program I'm on is much more attainable for me.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    I used to run a mile at least three mornings a week throughout most of my time in highschool, but recently decided to team up with my best friend's husband (also my friend of course lol) and start running again. We've been running every other day for a couple of weeks now -- but for me it has turned into an almost every day thing. I even go on my lunch break at work if I can! Last night he and I ran in the pouring rain (I'm talking SOAKED) and it was awesome!

I'm not specifically training for anything, though he is talking about signing us up for a spartan race next year. I just want to get back in shape!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I used to run a mile at least three mornings a week throughout most of my time in highschool, but recently decided to team up with my best friend's husband (also my friend of course lol) and start running again. We've been running every other day for a couple of weeks now -- but for me it has turned into an almost every day thing. I even go on my lunch break at work if I can! Last night he and I ran in the pouring rain (I'm talking SOAKED) and it was awesome!

I'm not specifically training for anything, though he is talking about signing us up for a spartan race next year. I just want to get back in shape!

Sounds like a very slippery slope you are on. Just be careful. Women believe things sometimes even if they aren't true.
  • jnmaddock
    jnmaddock Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I ran 5.8 miles last night and it was great!
    I'm still a beginner - I only started running in July - even though I was walking to lose weight since February.
    If you stick at it you will get great results.
    I'm entered in a 10K race on Dec 15th and ran 14K (8.5 miles) on Saturday for practice.

I'm 6' and I was 262 pounds in Feb this year and I'm 203 now. BUT I lost 40lbs just with walking. Don't kill yourself on the running. If you have a tough run then next time you are scheduled to run walk instead. And pace yourself - if you set off too fast you'll never make the distance.

Good luck everyone and enjoy yourselves - enjoyment is key!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    You guys are all doing a fantastic job. Keep it up. I also live where it's cold, snow. It's not fun to run in cold. So it's time for me to start running inside.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I started walking and jogging; a loose adaption of the C25K program. I've been out several times in the past few weeks. The snow and ice these past few days have kept me in. I'm working to build myself up to a point where I'm more jogging and less walking. I'm working up to a 5K in 2014 (my goal).
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I took the holiday weekend off. To spend time with family. But today it is time to get back on it . I'm going to try to run 3 miles on treadmill. I'm excited. I will post how my run goes!
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run for the bus a few months ago, but did the couch to 5k and now happily could (but don't, as I hate to give the drivers the satisfaction of pulling away from the stop just as I get there)
    I now run 4 mornings a week, covering 6k each time...I've no desire to do more, or enter races, and don't really enjoy it....but I love the feeling I get when the run is over and I'm pleased at being able to do something I never imagined I would.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've yet to begin a walking programme, but want in the longer run to be running most days. Following the thread for inspiration...
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing a 10K in Feb or March 2014---

Been running off and on (injury) since April 2013. I am very slow but getting better, and have run up to 4 miles or so. I have done a few 5K's and am doing a ton of them this month (2 on the 14th, one on the 21st) and running with my 10 year old's running club at his elementary school.

When I first started I couldn't run to the end of my street without stopping. I didn't do the couch to 5K but after reading about the program think it is great. However, I would add strength training to the rest days 2-3 times a week, it would have prevented my knee pain.

Friend me and we can encourage each other!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I just got done running 2.5 miles and some free weights.my run went really good
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I started walking a half mile last May. Now I run 3 - 4 miles every day. It has been great. I start interval training this week to improve my stride length and pace.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    How is that training going?
  • kjlove79
    kjlove79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been an off and on run/walker the past few years, but really started doing it more the past 3-4 months in order to help me lose weight. When I started out I couldn't even run a whole mile. My husband is an avid runner and participates in 5K's, 10K's, and recently ran his first half marathon. I would go to the 5k's with him and walk/run, but never could push myself to run the whole thing. In October, I finally pushed myself to run/jog the whole 5k.(While pushing our son in the jogging stroller.) Since then I have ran several 5K's and I run at home as well. I feel like I am stuck in a rut though. I would like to improve my time, but I am not sure how to achieve that goal. Any suggestions?!?! I also would like to one day run a 10K with him.
  • Celinabear
    Options
    I ran last night as part of conditioning for softball! It was alright, took me twelve minutes, when it needs to be ten, but I didn't die or cry! small miracles. xx
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    How is that training going?

It is going great. I am not so good at it, but I will get better, I think.

1. I run an easy mile. Stretch.
    2. Run 200 meters at top speed, then walk1 back those 200 meters.
    3. Repeat step 2 twelve times (I manage to do it 6 or 7 times).
    4. Easy mile run and stretch.

The goal is to have step 2 be 12x800 meters. My thighs get sore I can tell you!