High Protein Snack Suggestions?

Options
00trayn
00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
Good morning everyone!!

I recent changed my ratio from 20% protein to 30% protein on a suggestion that I needed a higher ratio for a fat burning diet. I'm at 45% carb, 25% fat, 30% protein now, but I'm having trouble getting in the protein that I need. So far, my favorite snacks with protein are greek yogurt, string cheese, and no-sugar pudding. Plus I made protein smoothies with a scoop of designer whey, light soy milk, and greek yogurt.

Does anyone have any other lower calorie suggestions on how to get in more protein? There have got to be more snacks out there that I'm not thinking of. Or things to eat for breakfast with protein. Right now I eat either a Vitatop or a pack of high fiber oatmeal, and I started eating a string cheese as a morning snack. Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try a good protien whey power. ISO Sensation 93 vanilla bean. I use it and love it. 30g of protien per scoop and it is one of the top 3 rated protien powders. Also no added sugar :-)
  • Laylasmojo3
    Options
    You could try Jerkey not allways the lowest in calories but it takes a long time to eat so it feels like you are eating alot, plus it is really high in protien. Also my nutritionist has me on three low carb at least 20 grams of protien shakes a day she says to loose weight you should try to get at least 70 grams of protien in a day and to stay away from white carbs. Hard boiled egg whites are also a low cal high protien snack. Hope this helps good luck!
  • megamal
    megamal Posts: 1
    Options
    Sara - - Try Muscle Milk... It's sold at GNC and it's perfect for increasing your protein intake without sacrificing taste.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I cook a few strips of chicken and cut up some carrot sticks - put them in a little tub to pick at throughout the day, the chicken has protein in it and the carrots give me the "crunch" when I need a crunchy snack :)

Also - nuts! I love a handful of almonds when I'm on the go as a source of protein and healthy fats :)

I love protein smoothies too! Glad you've discovered them as they are an easy way of getting protein into your diet and if you have a relatively low cal powder (mine at the mo is 101 cals per scoop) it doesn't make you go way over cals :)
    -x-x-
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I usually eat scrambled eggs. 1 whole egg and 1 egg white is only 118ish calories and 10 grams of protein. If you eat only the egg whites its about 35 calories and 8 grams of protein for 2 eggs.
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese it has 12g protein per 1/2cup. I eat 1 cup (24g protein) wihth either diced peaches or pineapple on it and love it. I buy the Breakstone's 2% milkfat, small curd.
    1/2c is: 90 cal, 2.5g total fat, 6g carb - it is high in soldium, 400mg per 1/2c, 0 fiber and 4g sugar.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Quick on the go protein snacks would be like canned tuna in water and beef jerky, or like several suggested precook chicken breasts and warm up as you need them. Also, don't buy anything from GNC. They over charge for everything, you can get the same products for a lot cheaper online and I believe places like Costco/Sam's Club/BJ's all carry protein powders now.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I always go WAY over on my protein. My meals/snacks consist of eggs, string cheese, turkey/chicken/ham wraps, vita tops, mini tuna cans, turkey bacon, cottage cheese, yougurt, and nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts, pistaccios, etc)! Good luck!!
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Everybody hit all my suggestions already, lol. String cheese, eggs (hard boiled is super easy as a snack since you can make a bunch in advance), nuts (fats, but good fats. I love me some sunflower seeds and almonds!), and jerky. The jerky you gotta be careful with because the average stuff has tons of sodium but I've been grabbing the bags of jerky at Trader Joe's. They have beef and turkey, the turkey has no fat. I compared my bag of turkey jerky to a bag of original Jack Link's beef jerky and the sodium was double! Or heck, just grab some pieces of meat, like a couple pieces of deli sliced turkey.

I noticed the Kashi bars I have contain 7g of protein which isn't bad, though of course there's carbs there too. Not sure if you're trying to avoid those at the same time. Kashi bars are great because they're also lower in sugar than alot of other bars, like Luna.
  • 00trayn
    Options
    I could definitely get more nuts into my diet. I saw a lower calorie and fat peanut butter at Trader Joes. I'll have to try that. It was 100 calories a serving. I don't really eat meat outside of lunch and dinner, I've never been a huge fan of meat so that's already pushing it. I can always eat more yogurt tho, I love the stuff. My protein powder is pretty tasty. Designer Whey has 100 calories per scoop and 18g of protein I think. I've never had cottage cheese before... but I do like greek yogurt. I've heard they taste the same?
  • Timborino
    Options
    What those guys said...:tongue:
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like hummus.....or even just Chick peas from the can. They are low in fat and high in protein.
    Almonds too, and all the other previous suggestions...good luck
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ooH YES TRY COTTAGE CHEESE the look of it is a little scary,

but very yum.
  • Timborino
    Options
    Ok, you guys may not want to hear this.

I'm an old guy from the south and grew up eating all kinds of foods most people won't touch today. One of those foods is sardines.

I know this sounds yuck to most people but get this: one tin of sardines has less than 200 calories, 19 grams protein and more omega 3 than a whole bottle of fish oil pills!

There's a good high pro, no carb, low cal snack!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    trader joe's egg white salad with chives!! I add Sriacha (spicy thai chili sauce) to it and its awesome and very filling.

The entire container that they sell is 100 calories and 14 grams of protein. Tastes great by itself, with crackers, or veggies!

Eggs are always an awesome and cheap source of protein!
  • 00trayn
    Options
    I really should start making hard boiled eggs. I have two containers of egg beaters too. According to hungry girl, you can heat up egg beaters right in a mug in the microwave! I might have to try that, just bring them to work and have it with breakfast.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I've never had cottage cheese before... but I do like greek yogurt. I've heard they taste the same?

Oh no. Greek yogurt is like regular yogurt, just not as sweet. Some compare it to the taste of sour cream. So you have to jazz it up a bit with fixins, unless you like the taste of plain yogurt that is...Cottage chees is curdled cheese. I know sounds icky but I love it!
  • brookie678
    Options
    mmmmm cottage cheese with pineapple SO GOOD. also those choban(sp?) greek yogurts are awesome and they have 14 grams of protein in them. the texture is like yoplait yogurt, like kind of thick.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Your post got me looking. One thing I eat is Ellie Krieger's Energy Bars when I am cycling. They are found on Food Network, com. The nutrition on them is cal: 133, Carbs:20, Fiber:3, and Protein:5. They are easy to make and wonderful. I used Costco's dried fruit medley instead of their dried fruit and honey instead of maple syrup, so the nutrition is a bit off, but at only 133 calories, they are great while exercising.

In searching Food Network, came across Alton Brown's Protein Bars. They pack the protein and have gotten great reviews. Will make a batch this week.

BTW, the Protein Bars look as easy to make as the Energy Bars. And fairly cheap to make compared to buying something.

Also, MFP has the nutrition for both of them already.