maintenance mode and working out?

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    As long as you are maintaining and reaching your specific fitness and body composition-related goals according to adequate training volume, intensity and frequency, you're fine.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Heart health is my top priority since high blood pressure runs in my family, and mine was starting to creep up before I lost weight. So I've kept up pretty much the same schedule of cardio that I had while I was losing weight. Also its great to be able to eat back all those exercise calories!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    You can do one of two things when maintaining. You can keep your exercise the same and increase calories accordingly or you can decrease exercise to a frequency, intensity, and duration that is sustainable for you and eat accordingly. There's no "right" way to go about maintenance--if you're maintaining then you're doing it right (+/- 5 pounds).
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for 8 months now--I ensure I keep up on my exercise by always having an upcoming 5K (or more) run/walk/crawl always on my schedule. It gives me a reason to stay in training and to monitor my nutrition (and some are a lot of fun, like mud runs & color runs).

I recently finished a 1\2 marathon (at age 58) and had spent the previous 5 months doing the required cardio, strength & nutritional programs in order to allow me to cross the finish line in the vertical position. I now have a goal to do a full marathon on my 60th birthday (Jan 2015) which should keep me on track with my maintenance for at least another year. Participating in 5, 10, +Ks leading up to that time will keep me engaged and enjoying the process.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm at maintenance, I'm working harder to tone what was underneath, by weight-lifting, body weight resistance, etc. and less cardio

I'm almost at my goal and this is what I am planning on doing myself.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at maintenance and I have def slacked off the working out. However, I think for me it's because my mom fail ill and of course it's the busy time of year for me.

I do plan on working out 5 days a week during maintenance. Now, I just need to get back at it! :-)
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im working out more but im also trying to become a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. So i have my usually work out routine and then what I've added for teaching.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I plan on working out for the rest of my life because I know what happens when I don't.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    To do some exercise every day to match the appropriate diet, moderate Games to reduce appetite, increase fat burning rate.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Some great answers in this thread. I have just exceeded my goal weight and I am now focusing on maintenance but don't want my weight to spiral too low as it has done in the past. My main goal is to keep up the exercise but to eat more and still eat healthily.

I seem to have an issue when I loose weight in that I often end up loosing too much. Once the balls rolling it gets a little out of hand... I don't eat enough to compliment my increased metabolism I suppose and if I carry on I end up being underweight.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenance & have not cut down on working out. Still do it daily. For me there is no reason to stop being fit just because I' am the weight I need to be.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite at maintenance yet, but since I decided to lose weight in good part because it will improve my speed and stamina on the bike, I have no intention of working out less once I'm there! And I'll probably increase my resistance training.
  • jeanninemtaylor
    jeanninemtaylor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ciccanti38 wrote: »
    Fitness is a lifestyle....I am also at my goal weight but I really want that sculpted look so I am still working out 5 days a week mostly strength training because cardio actually makes me lose weight fast. I am not so hard on myself with eating though. Although I do try & eat clean most of the time! Everyone is different though. You just need to see what is best for you! I have started a Group on here yesterday for people just like us...who have reached our goal weight & can you believe that I only have 1 interested member so far? If interested please join & pass it on to others! It is called Sassyfizeaks!

I'm not sure how to join you group???
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you're following the NEAT method and eating exercise calories back in maintenance, you're probably fine. If you are following the TDEE method and decrease exercise, you may need to recalculate and adjust calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Necro thread rises from the ashes of 2013......
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10 months into maintenance and I slowed down on the cardio quite a bit around month 5 as I was having a hard time eating enough to keep up. Well I saw about a 7 pound creep so I'm ramping up the intensity and frequency and am chipping that back off :) Don't slow down if you think that you can't eat enough to support your maintenance calories. Your appetite will catch up with your TDEE (at least mine did.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Shelby1582 wrote: »
    I've been at my ideal weight for a few months now and lately I've been working out less. It's only been in the last two weeks I worked out three days instead of 5 but is this how maintenance works? what are your maintenance tips?

You maintain when you consume a balance of energy...has nothing to do with whether you workout 3 days or 5 days or whatever...when you consume energy at levels that are commensurate with your activity, you maintain.

If you move less, your maintenance calories are lower...if you move more, they are higher. I train 6 days per week but even on rest days I'm usually active. I train for my fitness...has nothing to do really with my weight management objectives.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    For me exercise was never about losing weight. I have been in "maintenance mode" all year and am working out as much as ever.

My goal is to continue to build speed, strength and endurance so I will continue to workout as much as I ever have (currently 7 days a week).

Same with me. If I start working out less I will get complacent and somewhat lazy.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

lulz. I saw the November date, but didn't realize it was 3+ years old. Figured it was just 3 months.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

lulz. I saw the November date, but didn't realize it was 3+ years old. Figured it was just 3 months.

I never even noticed. Oh well, same comment applies.