Midnight cravings ??

I've started about 2 weeks ago and I would say I'm eating fairly well compared to what I used to but the one thing I can't seem to shake is the late night cravings every night about 10-11pm I always feel so hungry like I have to eat a bowl of cereal or some cookies or something sweet! I think it's really messing up with my weight loss. Does anyone else have this problem does anyone have advice on how to correct this!!! I don't think I'm really hungry it's just habit to watch tv at night and eat!

Replies

• Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    I always feel so hungry like I have to eat a bowl of cereal or some cookies or something sweet! I think it's really messing up with my weight loss.

If you're really hungry, then eat an apple.

Try to go to bed earlier. You said you don't think it's actually hunger. You said it is a habit of watching TV and eating. To change the habit, you have to change the behavior. Watch less TV. Instead of cereal or cookies, have a piece of fruit like I mentioned.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    or keep calories so you can have something late at night......it really does not make a difference.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. How are you allocating your calories over the day? Maybe you're eating more than you need other times of the day to stay satiated... so you can shift some of them to later in the PM.

How many grams of protein and fiber are you consuming, on average, per day, too?

And what time is your last "scheduled" food intake?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Caseine shake and poptarts!
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    I agree with the allocating of calories.... For some reason, I am just NOT hungry in the mornings so I eat what I can, but that saves me a lot of calories for my late night snack after work. I normally get home around 10 from work and I get hungry, so I save calories throughout the day. I also agree with changing the behavior and having an apple as opposed to ice cream.
  • Well that's the thing is I have enough calories technically to eat things things because like someone else said I'm not really hungry in the mornings so I don't really start eating till about 12pm I think it's messing me up eating right before bed.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Well that's the thing is I have enough calories technically to eat things things because like someone else said I'm not really hungry in the mornings so I don't really start eating till about 12pm I think it's messing me up eating right before bed.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're saying these late night cravings would put you over your calorie allotment or whether it's simply a matter of you having a false sense of PM eating being more fattening than incoming calories at earlier times in the day.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    It's easy to confuse hunger with emotional eating. If you have eaten your calorie allotment you may be so used to emotional eating you don't even recognize it.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Well that's the thing is I have enough calories technically to eat things things because like someone else said I'm not really hungry in the mornings so I don't really start eating till about 12pm I think it's messing me up eating right before bed.

I had the same issue with not being hungry in the morning and so not starting to eat until almost lunchtime and then being ravenous at night. I saw an exercise physiologist who advised that I should eat my calories across the day and make the effort to have breakfast even if not hungry, which I have done for the past 5 days - protein shake in the morning (7am), light breakfast mid morning 9.30am-ish) and then lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I have also upped my protein intake significantly. I must say I have definitely been less likely to go looking for treats in the evening, not feeling that craving for sweets.

Maybe you should try spreading your food out mopre evenly from morning to bed time and see what happens.