Are defined abs possible on depo?

Options
From October-end of the year last year, I was out of the country without my husband for work and I was about 2 months late for my depo shot. I was very active with work, lifted some weights 2-3 times a MONTH, and did not track calories. I lost some about 10lbs over that 3 month period. At new years I had a very defined vertical line down my stomach.

Since then I have lost another 8-9lbs, started lifting heavy 2-3x a week with StrongLifts, started doing martial arts, and got much stronger: first on a cut and then at maintenance (trying but failing to bulk). NO AB DEFINITION AT ALL. No line. Nothing. My back, arms, quads, calves and everything else is more defined, but my stomach is less.

Could this be due to the Depo shot? I have lost weight as expected from my calories, so I do not believe that it "makes me gain weight" or anything, but could redistribute fat to the stomach? Water stored on top of the muscles? Something? Everything else nutritionally and exercise wise is "better" now than it was when then. Depo is the only thing that I can think of.

Anyone have defined abs and are on the shot? Got the shot and lost em? Stopped the shot and gained em? Thank you.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. You may need to either lose a few more pounds or pay closer attention to your sodium intake to drop some water weight.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. You may need to either lose a few more pounds or pay closer attention to your sodium intake to drop some water weight.

Did you actually read my post? I have lost 8-9lbs and LOST definition. I've never limited sodium so I doubt that it has changed much. That would also depend on the day, and I don't see definition ever.

You say it's possible. Is that just an assumption, or are you on the shot and have a 6 pack?
  • wheird
    Options

Did you actually read my post? I have lost 8-9lbs and LOST definition. I've never limited sodium so I doubt that it has changed much. That would also depend on the day, and I don't see definition ever.

You say it's possible. Is that just an assumption, or are you on the shot and have a 6 pack?

Best of luck to you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's possible to have some water retention which is causing bloating. It just means you either change medications or have to wait until you cut to a lower body fat %. One thing I would suggest is lowering your carbs and upping your protein. This should help lower some water weight too. Many days you are close to 200g of carbs which competes with me.
  • littlelauras
    littlelauras Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 25lb whilst being on the depo injection. I hold all of my weight around my middle, and finding it to be the last place I am losing weight from, does the depo shot actually make a difference to bloating/storing fat etc??
  • wheird
    Options
    I've lost about 25lb whilst being on the depo injection. I hold all of my weight around my middle, and finding it to be the last place I am losing weight from, does the depo shot actually make a difference to bloating/storing fat etc??

Fat storage? No, as far as I am aware. But it does cause a certain amount of water retention and bloating.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    It's possible to have some water retention which is causing bloating. It just means you either change medications or have to wait until you cut to a lower body fat %. One thing I would suggest is lowering your carbs and upping your protein. This should help lower some water weight too. Many days you are close to 200g of carbs which competes with me.

Yesterday was out of the ordinary. My carbs average out to about 140g a day over the last two weeks and protein around 130g. It was around 200g a day when I was averaging 2600 cals for my bulk/maintenance. Do you think that is too much?

If it is the Depo, I suppose I will just have to wait for lower BF like you said. I'd hate to try to find another birth control that works as well without this side effect.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Hormones can definitely redistribute weight in different ways. Depo packs a high hormone punch, too! I don't know which hormone balance you started with, so it would be hard to say how Depo might affect you.

But menopausal women get a thick middle because of the hormone changes. In that case, their testosterone is higher in the ratio than it had been because of the drop in estrogen.

Depo is more progesteronic than most BC. That does cut estrogen (if you have too much, anyway). I'm on progesterone to cut my estrogen on purpose due to health problems it caused (endometriosis, and parts of my PCOS).

Progesterone can cut testosterone, too, in cases like PCOS, so it gets confusing, I think. But yes, I could believe weight redistribution from Depo.

I hated Depo, lol! But I just had a never-ending period from it and gained weight all over ;) Like 30 lbs! I was ravenous. BC usually doesn't affect my weight, but wowza with that one!
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have been on the depo shot for about 1 year now (due to get my next shot tomorrow actually)...I started lifting weights about 5-6 months ago and have gained a lot of muscle during a bulk period. Even though I have belly fat to lose still and am beginning to see definition in my ab area now that I am cutting. So, for me the shot has not affected me as far as definition.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Horomonal BC affects different women differently. Since it is the only change you've made, logic says it is the shot causing your issue. This may not be the case for other women on Depo.

So, in general, I'm certain it's possible to be on Depo and have defined abs. For you specifically, maybe not.
  • wheird
    Options
    Hormones can definitely redistribute weight in different ways. Depo packs a high hormone punch, too! I don't know which hormone balance you started with, so it would be hard to say how Depo might affect you.

But menopausal women get a thick middle because of the hormone changes. In that case, their testosterone is higher in the ratio than it had been because of the drop in estrogen.

Depo is more progesteronic than most BC. That does cut estrogen (if you have too much, anyway). I'm on progesterone to cut my estrogen on purpose due to health problems it caused (endometriosis, and parts of my PCOS).

Progesterone can cut testosterone, too, in cases like PCOS, so it gets confusing, I think. But yes, I could believe weight redistribution from Depo.

I hated Depo, lol! But I just had a never-ending period from it and gained weight all over ;) Like 30 lbs! I was ravenous. BC usually doesn't affect my weight, but wowza with that one!

Actual weight distribution or overall fat mass gain, which on some women happens to be over their belly? If the former, do you have any sources? I am not overly familiar with the particulars of the Depo and the cursory reading I have done on it and other BCs has not mentioned that (other than overall weight gain). So any information would be appreciated. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Actual weight distribution or overall fat mass gain, which on some women happens to be over their belly? If the former, do you have any sources? I am not overly familiar with the particulars of the Depo and the cursory reading I have done on it and other BCs has not mentioned that (other than overall weight gain). So any information would be appreciated. :)

I'm sure there probably aren't studies investigating something like Depo's exact effect on fat redistribution. That's just not the sort of thing they ever study for women's birth control. They do study the hormones for transgender hormonal therapy, of course. And they study weight redistribution due to hormones in menopause (and similar for men).

Birth control studies are interesting territory, though. We get lucky if there are studies on the actual drug in question past FDA approval, frankly. The progesterone I'm on (Prometrium) has never been studied (outside of the company) compared to different (synthetic, older) forms of the hormone! They literally use the study results from a different form and say that they are the same thing. It's ridiculous and surely related to the $$$ BC makes for companies, imho.

But I'd be happy to link sources referring to hormones and fat redistribution in menopause or during transgender therapy.
  • wheird
    Options

I'm sure there probably aren't studies investigating something like Depo's exact effect on fat redistribution. That's just not the sort of thing they ever study for women's birth control. They do study the hormones for transgender hormonal therapy, of course. And they study weight redistribution due to hormones in menopause (and similar for men).

Birth control studies are interesting territory, though. We get lucky if there are studies on the actual drug in question past FDA approval, frankly. The progesterone I'm on (Prometrium) has never been studied (outside of the company) compared to different (synthetic, older) forms of the hormone! They literally use the study results from a different form and say that they are the same thing. It's ridiculous and surely related to the $$$ BC makes for companies, imho.

But I'd be happy to link sources referring to hormones and fat redistribution in menopause or during transgender therapy.

Eh...not exactly what I am looking for, as there are just a huge number of factors involved, but I would love to still read them in the event that someone in transition posts questions again.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have defined abs on depo.

IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg
  • wheird
    Options

You were exactly who I was thinking about. :laugh:
  • lilawolf
    Options

Good to know! You are lovely. I guess it gets back to the point that hormones affect people differently. This means that it is possible but maybe not for me....
  • lilawolf
    Options

I would be interested. It makes sense that hormones may change where we store fat as well as water. The hormones make me not have a period, so it certainly is powerful!
  • usmcmp
    Options

**Image removed to save space.**

Good to know! You are lovely. I guess it gets back to the point that hormones affect people differently. This means that it is possible but maybe not for me....

Thank you! I'm not going to read through the giant wall of text above. I looked at your profile and it says you are bulking. Your calorie goal is also set higher than you would for cutting (I'm 5'9" and your calorie goal is about what my TDEE is). Your diary has some fairly high sodium foods in it, which would mask abs.

Another problem most women have with visible abs is that they don't have enough volume in the abdominal muscles. Your squats are pretty light and probably won't do much to put volume into the muscles. You should be doing front squats as well to build your core and add volume to the abs. Strong lifts (or even 3x5) is not the best program to add lean mass if you are bulking. You need a hypertrophy program (like PHAT or any other traditional bodybuilding split).

Looking at your pictures you are visually around 23% body fat and your muscle volume is around average. Your abs don't have much volume. At this point you need to decide if you are bulking and start a hypertrophy program or if you are cutting to see your abs.

ETA: When you could see the line down the middle it may have been that you were dehydrated. I can see mine better after a binge or when I haven't had enough water.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Thank you for the great response! Those pics are a couple months old. I am at around 21% BF by caliper measurement and visual comparison. If I tense everything and get the light just right I can vaguely see three lines (down the middle and outside). Dehydration! That could have been it. I did not drink as much water there as I usually do. All bottled and 12 hour on the run work days would have dehydrated me.

For the last month, I have been set to about my maintenance calories without exercise, and cutting as I feel comfortable because I have a shoulder injury and unable to work out. No point in bulking if I can't do any of the compound lifts. I have had problems with my squats which I suspect stem from a weak core, so I am and will focus on that more. That will hopefully help the abs too!

I was eating 2200 NET which was about 2600 gross average with 2-3 hours of lifting, 2 hours of martial arts, and the occasional run, and I lost 1 pound in two months. Last week I ate at 1800 net calories and lost 1.8lbs.

I am hoping that in one month I can go back to exercising regularly, but it will be slow going so I am unsure when I will go back to my bulk. I'll look into the different programs. Muscle growth on a bulk, and muscle strength on a cut?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Thank you for the great response! Those pics are a couple months old. I am at around 21% BF by caliper measurement and visual comparison. If I tense everything and get the light just right I can vaguely see three lines (down the middle and outside). Dehydration! That could have been it. I did not drink as much water there as I usually do. All bottled and 12 hour on the run work days would have dehydrated me.

For the last month, I have been set to about my maintenance calories without exercise, and cutting as I feel comfortable because I have a shoulder injury and unable to work out. No point in bulking if I can't do any of the compound lifts. I have had problems with my squats which I suspect stem from a weak core, so I am and will focus on that more. That will hopefully help the abs too!

I was eating 2200 NET which was about 2600 gross average with 2-3 hours of lifting, 2 hours of martial arts, and the occasional run, and I lost 1 pound in two months. Last week I ate at 1800 net calories and lost 1.8lbs.

I am hoping that in one month I can go back to exercising regularly, but it will be slow going so I am unsure when I will go back to my bulk. I'll look into the different programs. Muscle growth on a bulk, and muscle strength on a cut?

It really depends on your long term goals. If you are going for just overall improvement I would do about 16 weeks of strength and twice that (or more if you want more size) of hypertrophy. I personally would stick with hypertrophy during cutting because that's what my body responds to. Also, the strong lift program isn't great for increasing metabolic functions, so hypertrophy during cutting helps you burn more over strong lifts.