Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    In to follow info.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If running is your primary goal and strength is just to maintain muscle, just do the 5x5 twice a week like Tues and Fri.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Programs like Stronglifts generally place a strong emphasis on actually resting on your rest days. Doing that kind of running more or less prevents the kind of rest you would need when doing heavy squatting 3x/week.
    This. i tried running between lifting days. It made both my running, and my lifting suck. You're best bet is to focus on one or the other, and then back off the one you aren't focusing on.

Like if you decide to focus on lifting, cut your cardio back to walking or just shorter jogging sessions. If you want to focus on running, cut back the lifting, to either less weight, or less sets.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I m very interested in this topic. I am trying to do both as well and I am finding that my running is really suffering. One question that I have is this, how many calories are you eating? During October I basically ate at maintenance and it seemed to me that I was better able to do both, but when I went back on a deficit in November i really hit a wall running.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I m very interested in this topic. I am trying to do both as well and I am finding that my running is really suffering. One question that I have is this, how many calories are you eating? During October I basically ate at maintenance and it seemed to me that I was better able to do both, but when I went back on a deficit in November i really hit a wall running.

The body can't operate at a deficit indefinitely while making improvements in running and lifting. When you eat what your body needs you will see the best performance. I always eat full TDEE for a week or more before a big race and my results are a huge improvement from training on a deficit. Even when dieting down, do it at a deficit of maybe 300 calories/day.