Trying to build a body like Alcide from True Blood

Options
2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Well first he got big with heavy weight lifting then he cut body fat with circuit style training.

http://www.details.com/health-fitness/celebrity-workout/201108/joe-manganiello-true-blood-alcide-herveaux-werewolf-hbo

Start lifting heavy and eating enough food to grow. Once you get big enough cut the body fat by eating at a deficit.

Or you could do smaller bulk cut cycles to keep from getting over fat.

This sounds like what I'm thinking.

Since I'm not starting from total scratch, I've started with a calorie deficit and am still gaining muscle right now.

So we'll see.

I will post results in a few weeks of my own experiments!

Yea you have a good start on it already. If your goal is mostly aesthetics then you just need to decide if you want to shed more body fat with the current muscle you have or get a little bigger and then cut. The amount of muscle you are going to add with a circuit/conditioning program while in a calorie deficit is going be pretty low.

Getting lean is all about calorie management so the 30 minutes per day workout should be fine as long as you are doing enough resistance training to maintain your lean body mass.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    When you get there, please post your phone number! Good luck! :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Logged in under my wife's account -- deleting

Dude! Don't delete your wife just because you made a mistake. It wasn't her fault!

:angry:

ETA: Oh, sorry. I misread your post. Never mind. Carry on. :drinker:
  • JonKragh
    JonKragh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    FYI - a MFP member here kindly pointed out that Joe Manganiello (Alcide) just released a book on his workout & diet.

The Kindle version was released & delivered to me today.

So far at first glance I learned a few new exercises to add to my circuits and that circuit training works great for him.

He says that he continued to gain size in every muscle in his body while reducing waist size - getting his suits re-tailored twice.

http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Cutting-Breaking-Mental-Building-ebook/dp/B00BSBR4MM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1386092021&sr=8-4&keywords=evolution
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Jon - I'm with you on this. I absolutely think that you could achieve an Alcide look with a 30min/day training program. Have you considered something like this:

http://www.criticalbench.com/doggcrapp-dc-training.htm

It's an overview of Dogg Crapp/Dog Crap training - high intensity, short rest, major muscle group, training to failure, etc. Not only can you expedite your muscle growth with a regiment like this, but it can also increase your cardiovascular efficiency...for those late night pack runs :)

Keep in mind that while your training may only consist of 30 minutes, you have the rest of your waking hours to focus on a diet that will ensure a constant flow of nutrients to your growing muscles! Also consider the "speed" of proteins (slow vs fast digesting) throughout the day and even before bed so you don't leave them wanting!

Just a thought, good luck to you!
  • JonKragh
    Options
    Thanks much man!

I'm determined to make this work! I will check out the program you linked.

I've kinda rolled my own program for now. I've been working hard on the diet and workout hard for 20-24 mins a day.

* I just put my 2 week progress pic in my profile.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Gooooooood luck!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • JonKragh
    Options
    Gooooooood luck!!!!:flowerforyou:

Thanks much!
  • JonKragh
    Options