Need help with potassium rich foods

Options
I'd like to find out what everyone else is doing to get enough potassium in their diets? I see that bananas and 1% milk are about 400 each, but needing around 3,000 a day, that's really only a drop in the bucket.

Any very palatable suggestions? I'm making this change for my whole family, so I really need child friendly foods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    coconut water is extremely high in potassium
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/potassium-rich-food.htm

It's on the list, but Potatoes are a great source of potassium (1600 mg. for a large potato) I personally don't feel they deserve the bad rep they tend to get - a large baked potato is less than 300 calories without added butter & toppings - it's high in fiber and vitamin C and has a decent amount of protein (for a vegetable). You could even just eat half and add select toppings that fit in your plan. (reduced fat cheese, greek yogurt, etc.) .
  • OutwardSix
    Options
    Child friendly is a bit beyond me on this one, but using spinach in salads is a really easy way to up your amounts of potassium so far as I remember. Throwing in a baked potato with the salad (skin on) helps too I believe.

As far as the kids go, maybe cantaloupe and apricots as well as those bananas? Hopefully someone can give you some cunning ways to give them their greens since those are the best sources.
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    NoSalt and NuSalt salt substitute is pure Potassium Chloride. I now use Lite salt (Half Sodium chloride half Potassium chloride) all time and NoSalt as a supplement. You have to mix it with at least 4 oz of water or it burns the stomach, don't ask me how I know. I also take it with my fiber right after breakfast with a big glass of water as a follow up. It is a little unpleasant, kind of taste like drinking a glass of water from a glass that had a little milk in it. Calcium and Magnesium are also important electrolytes. I do not go over board with the NoSalt, I only supplement one serving. I still don't get the recommended 3500 for the day. But it is a lot better than before.
  • FlashBang
    Options
    Amen to the potatoes and add sweet potatoes.
  • KELLYONE
    KELLYONE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice and the wonderful websites! I totally agree with you both about potatoes, they do seem to have many things necessary in a balanced diet, it's too bad they are much yummier in their not so good for you forms! :)

Thanks again everyone!
  • FlashBang
    Options
    There is no bad food, only bad portions. A potato, dressed appropriately, is a very healthy part of a meal. All those years of Adkins make me look at them with disdain but I have eaten a five pound bag over the last six months, maybe more, and lost nearly 50 pounds. Fuel your body and it will take care of you.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Molasses (treacle, for you UK folk) is a natural sweetener that's high in potassium and certainly my favorite way of getting potassium next to bananas. :smile:
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    tomatoes