I eat what you eat when I am around you?

So, I've lost a lot of weight. In the beginning, I asked several people to join me on my weight loss journey, including my mother. They declined, thinking I was going to fall off the bandwagon, as people sometimes do once they lose about 10-20 pounds, then they stop eating healthy and, get comfortable and eventually gain it all back. Well, I was serious about this journey and I have had steady success so far. Now, every time, I go to a restaurant with my mother, and order something, she orders the exact same thing. It's usually like this I'll say, "I'll have the bacon avocado pretzel sandwich." My mom, "Oh, that must be healthy, since she is ordering it, I'll have the same thing too!" Has anyone else ever experienced this awkward situation with someone you are close with that has not lost the weight, but sometimes will eat like you, to feel like they are doing something healthy?

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Nope. It's usually me trying to find something that won't completely blow my calories so I can have dessert, and my friends eating whatever, plus dessert. I would be flattered if someone was trying to eat like me, honestly. Great job on our weight loss so far!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Therefor I think u are a positive influence for mom. It's funny how the role is reversed as we age........
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    At least your mom isn't trying to make you eat something she chose.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    YES. My best pal Mikey does this. It's not actually a BAD thing, as he really needs to watch his intake (he's also diabetic and not under control), but it does feel a little weird at times. Like I have to continue ordering healthier stuff when all I wanna do is stuff my face with onion rings. :laugh:
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    I try not to worry about what others are doing unless it negatively affects me.

Unless your mother constantly complains about being over weight, I don't see why you should care what she eats.
    If she does complain, say "If you're unhappy with your body, you're gonna have to work as hard as I do to eat what I do, otherwise it'll just set you back."

Then again that sounds mean and confrontational, so again I say, don't worry about what she's doing.