Ideal Weight Question

Options
Okay, so I am 5' 1. I weigh 118-120 at the moment depending on the day or how my week has gone. I want to get down to 110 but my mom and my boyfriend think that I will look too thin. My question is, is BMI always accurate? Do some people just not fit the scale sometimes? I wear a size 4 or 6 in jeans. My waist is 24.5. My shirt size is small (usually). My collar bones, upper spine, and hip bones are visible. I frequently get cold and cannot stay warm for the life of me. I get told I am thin quite often. My only issue is that for my height, the healthy weight range is around 92-135 pounds, I believe. Don't quote me on that, though. I am feeling obsessed with my BMI still being on the higher end even though I "look" thin, I feel as if I am not thin enough until my BMI is much lower. I'm not sure what I should be aiming for. 120 was my goal weight, but now I feel as if I need to lose another 10-20.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a guide. It will not be the same for everyone. Body builders are usually considered fat or obese on this chart just because they weight a lot from all their muscle. If you are happy with how you look don't worry about what some chart says.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The high end includes people who should be on the high end or they'd be too thin with their lean mass (including frame size). Don't worry at all about being on one end or the other unless there are other reasons to suspect you need to lose or gain weight.

BMI doesn't even cover enough of a range, imho, but it's good as a very general population-type guide.

When I was very young, I used to think I needed to hit the lowest number possible in the healthy BMI range for my height. Yeah, not a good idea there ;) Young girls are crazy :D