Protein shakes and supplements

Options
Hi there - my question really is should I be drinking protein shakes and fat burning supplemts like Garcinia? Do they actually work in the shot and long run?

I've heard protein shakes are only really helful if you woek out a lot and intensely too. I do 5-6 cardio workouts a week but it's not like i'm fit enough to run 5miles/kilometres.

If yes to protien shakes are whey concentrates the best? can anyone recomend a brand?

Also is Garcinia the be all and end all? or has anyone tried something else with great results?

Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies.

Jude

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you wanna build muscle mass then you will need a lot of protein. And even then it's best to get it from foods not shakes, shakes are convenient if you don't have time to cook or ate, or feeling too full to ate a real meal, that's all. Otherwise they are waste of money. And don't waste time and money on natural fat burning supplements, even if they work, which is unproven only speculation, then there is so tiny effect that you won't notice a difference.
  • judelyon
    judelyon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks - great advice :)
  • bvincentelp
    bvincentelp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If building muscle is a goal, then whey protein is a easy way to increase your protein intake if you just can't eat enough regular food. I shoot for 150 grams of protein a day, a couple shakes on top of my normal meals get me to that amount. There are many great whey proteins out there, just need to find one that you like the taste of - I recommend BSN Syntha-6, best tasting to me.

I would cut that cardio down and replace with weight lifting. Doing so much cardio is actually robbing your body of muscle (along with the fat).

Stuff like Garcinia - wouldn't waste my money.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My limited understanding is that protein shakes can help with recovery - meaning that your muscles rebuild better, and that they're also good with weight loss because protein helps you feel full.

To know which protein shakes are best, you have to see which ones have the full complement of amino acids. If you're missing any, then the other amino acids in the shake are useless - or at least not as useful. I know this from being a vegetarian for 30 years and learning everything I could about protein - where to get it, etc.
  • judelyon
    Options
    Thanks folks - much appreciated - loks like I'll be doing some research - i read somewhere they whey concentrate is good for general weight loss as well as building muscle? Full range of amino acids - for general well being?

Thanks
  • kelerlee33
    Options
    Stay far away from soy protein not good for you at all. Whey is good I like muscle milk when I can afford.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I need a shake. I lift weights. I aim for 120g protein a day. I east 6 times a day, but not meat. I eat oily fish, cottaage cheese, eggs, tofu, but still fall a little short.
    I work out in the morning, so a shake is the easy option for a quick protein boost on the way from gym to work.
  • judelyon
    Options
    Thanks for your input
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    From personal experience.. you will only truly understand the use of protein shakes once you know how to diet. And fat burners are useless if you don't know how to diet.

Basically - protein shakes are used to supplement your protein intake. Say I'm bulking up and need to eat 250 grams of protein a day. I'd rather not have to eat 2 lbs of chicken a day to reach those numbers. It's a lot easier to get there with a pound of chicken and a quick shake with 2-3 scoops of whey protein and milk in it. THAT's when it's useful. Basically convenience.

Now if you've got no idea how dieting works and how much you should be eating.. results from protein shakes aren't going to be optimal. But it's probably better than not taking them at all.
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    Yep, protein powders only help you reach your macro requirement. There is nothing you can take over the counter that will make you loss weight.. Its all about what you eat and how much you burrrrnnnn.
    From personal experience.. you will only truly understand the use of protein shakes once you know how to diet. And fat burners are useless if you don't know how to diet.

Basically - protein shakes are used to supplement your protein intake. Say I'm bulking up and need to eat 250 grams of protein a day. I'd rather not have to eat 2 lbs of chicken a day to reach those numbers. It's a lot easier to get there with a pound of chicken and a quick shake with 2-3 scoops of whey protein and milk in it. THAT's when it's useful. Basically convenience.

Now if you've got no idea how dieting works and how much you should be eating.. results from protein shakes aren't going to be optimal. But it's probably better than not taking them at all.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you need extra protein in your diet then protein anything is worth it. Lunch is provided for me at my work. I can't digest certain types of meat such as beef, lamb, horse and venison add the fact that I just can't eat that much meat period to meet my daily goals I was frequently not getting enough protein. Throwing a scoop or two of protein powder into some kind of liquid has helped me big time, I still only reach about 80g of protein per day, but it's much better than the 30 or 40 g I was getting.

The worst that can happen is that you try it and hate it. Watch your macros though before determining if you need it or not.
  • judelyon
    Options
    Thanks folks - I do know how to diet, just having trouble shaking off a few pounds - Im trying balance physique at the moment - my first day in fact and I feel full at the moment. My trouble is the weekends with food, not like I go crazy or something, I usually have those 2 days off my diet but still exercise..
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a lot cheaper than premade shakes and bars. I just picked up a four lb. bag of Muscle Milk powder at Costco for like $25. That's a lot of protein powder. My last bag was Sun Warrior vegan stuff and it didn't taste this good.