Abs once a week- why?

Options
I have seen a lot of people on this site and others say that you should only do an ab workout once a week- can anyone tell me the reasoning behind it?

I understand that you can do all the ab workouts you want and won't see 'em if your body fat percentage is too high, but ab workouts are the one thing I actually really enjoy doing- I do one very intense core workout a week, but usually do 2 additional 10-15 minutes bouts of ab moves throughout the week while watching TV, simply because I enjoy it. I guess I'm wondering if the reason people say "once a week" is because that is enough to get results, or if doing more does something negative (like decrease strength from overworking them? Or increase stomach size because they get bulky?)

Apologies if this a dumb question.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My reasoning is because the core is usually hit by full body workouts, deadlift, squat, etc.., so that isolated core work isn't required IMHO.
  • minlyn22
    minlyn22 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump... I'd like to see more explanation if you get an answer to this. Thanks for posting!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I'd always heard you can work abs daily.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My reasoning is because the core is usually hit by full body workouts, deadlift, squat, etc.., so that isolated core work isn't required IMHO.

If you're doing other workouts correctly, you don't need to isolate - exactly what this dude said! ^^
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised to hear that too. From what I've heard, abs are really hard to target and recover quickly. Granted they're covered in a lot of exercises, but I hit them specifically in aerial all the time. We always warm up with ab work and then every inversion is an ab workout. It's rare I've been sore the next day in my abs.

I don't do super long ab-specific sets though. Personally, I don't think there's much benefit and your time would be better used elsewhere. But if you really enjoy working them, just listen to your body. And remember to counter stretch: cobra, backbends, etc. People often forget to stretch the front of their body.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

^This.

If you have a weak spot in your core you can add in stuff as assistance exercises to bring things up to speed. But for most people, just doing the major lifts will bring along everything eventually anyway.

I read somewhere wendler thinks weighted abs moves are a good assistance exercise for the OHP, for example. But presumably if you're doing dl variations, you'll get that work in anyway.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've always done isolation work (including abs) in addition to compound lifts. I think they are beneficial, and I like having the variety in my workouts.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy doing ab workouts, then keep doing them.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I have crunches in my warmup, and I really like some of the "core moves" on the TRX, like pikes, atomic push-ups, etc... I think of the pikes especially as a great way to get some resistance onto a simple and basic body movement. Yeah, it's maybe the least important part of my workouts since I get all the ab work I need on the overhead press.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    Training a muscle daily increases it's muscular endurance. Beyond that, there's really no advantage to training a muscle more than 2 times a week unless one it trying to increase strength or muscular hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

^^This

I personally don't do isolated ab exercises more than once or twice a week (i do one exercise for abs when I do) but I do all compound workouts so there's not really a need to isolate everyday.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking it's unnecessary to do exercises that focus specifically on the abs when your workouts incorporate functional strength movements such as the squat and deadlift since those hit the core very, very hard. Because of that, if you DO want to, it's best to only do it once a week in order to ensure they get sufficient rest between work.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I do and every other day and I do different exercises.

Different people have different goals. I personally do isolation exercises and hit the muscles once a week and it works for me if you like doing isolated an exercises then do them every other day. No reason why you can't or shouldn't.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Pretty much.

Personally don't remember the last time I've done ab work.

Squats/DL work them enough for me :wink:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Pretty much.

Same here.........well i do planks sometime too
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

same here. i dont have any specific core exercises either.

my 3 days a week of lifting, especially deadlifts , 3 varieties of squats (overhead, front and back), good morning, pull ups and pushups all do a pretty good job of working my core.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Pretty much.

Really? You feel like your abs get worked enough in the Squat and DL? How exactly?

Even at max weight with proper form, they are only used to stabalize... ab work is necessary if you want to sufficiently strengthen the abdominals, though not with 3+ exercises and 100+ rep sets like many people think.

For me, I do about 3-4 sets of 12-18 rep cable crunches twice a week.

Also, to answer OP's question, it's a muscle like anything else. People apply a "high rep" approach to them, but the truth is they get stronger with greater resistance, just like all the other muscles. Make sure to give them rest as well, and you'll be fine. One day on, one day off, etc... should be fine.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Really? You feel like your abs get worked enough in the Squat and DL? How exactly?

Even at max weight with proper form, they are only used to stabalize... ab work is necessary if you want to sufficiently strengthen the abdominals, though not with 3+ exercises and 100+ rep sets like many people think.

I thought stabilization was the point of the abs. I don't really understand why doing heavy compound lifts wouldn't be "enough."