gluten....meh.

Options
2»

Replies

• Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    As far as bread... I have yet to find a store bought bread or a recipe that makes nice fluffy bread. It unfortunately will be more dense. The texture actually kind of reminds me of pancakes lol. It is still tasty but not sandwich worthy. I find the same with cake, but it not nearly as bad. You can make some pretty friggin yummy cake but it will be somewhat heavier that normal. I would totally avoid any store bought cause it is always dry.

Chickpea cookies are a good option. They are flourless altogether.

I find almond meal/flour makes a pretty good pie crust.

Robinhood now has a nutriblend flour option that is gluten free. I wouldn't use it for everything, but I have made pizza crusts with it in the past and it wasn't bad at all.
  • dgbrash2
    dgbrash2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My wife was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 6 months ago. For starters, always read/investigate your questions by going to reputable websites, like the Mayo Clinic website, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/MY01140. I would recommend this one as well: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/features/gluten-intolerance-against-grain. My wife is still 'experimenting' with recipes, but generally speaking, she has found that a combination of flours seems to work best. The rice flours, almond flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour combos seem to work out pretty good. She has determined that by ordering the flours online (amazon.com), she has gotten the best prices for the flours, and it doesn't take long to qualify/accumulate enough product for a 'free shipping' order. And don't forget the Xantham gum! That, I think, is the most expensive ingredient, although none of these flours are cheap. If you need the ingredients soon enough that you can't order them/don't have time to order them online, we have found that our local Kroger and Publix have the best assortments/prices for the flours and for the products, depending on whether you want to buy baking ingredients or out-of-the-box mixes. :( Remember, ALL of the gluten-free ready-made flours & products are going to be 150-200% higher cost than regular products. We have also 'invested' in 2 non-stick hamburger bun/bread pans, and a bread machine. My wife bakes her own bread loaves and slices the bread, then freezes the sliced loaf, so that she can take out just what she needs for a meal.

*We live in Alabama, USA
  • sidcianicliff
    sidcianicliff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We use the Pamela's gluten free Pancake and Baking mix for baked goods, pancakes etc. We love it. It's cheaper to buy thru Amazon thru subscribe and save. For bread we use the Pamela's bread mix, it's delicious! We make it in our bread maker. We buy that thru Amazon also.
    Also Pamela's has a website with scores of different recipes. I actually prefer the flavor of the pancakes better than regular flour pancakes. The Baking mix has almond meal incl it really adds to the flavor. The pie crust is awesome as well.

I also have some gluten free cookbooks. Gluten free on a shoestring is a nice cookbook. She uses a different flour blend but the recipies are recreations of gluten rich foods. I have enjoyed her recipes. Hope this helps.......