Filling remaining calories on a bulk.

What difference would the type of a calorie make?

If I meet my 0.8-1g/lb for protein and 0.4-0.45g/lb for fat, and fill the 60% of the remaining calories with some complex carbs ( veggies/fruits )

Best advice on filling the remaining 40%? ICE CREAM?

Those remaining calories are often about 300 or 400 calories, and I'm just caught up in :

1. The whole insulin spike thing if I fill up on simple sugars.
2. Fats are harder to be metabolized. If that's really true.

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member

Im guessing your not a pro body builder, dont sweat the things that make up the small percentage of difference, eat what you want aslong as youve hit your macros and micros.

EDIT: only be concerned about the things that make small differences if you are like, going to compete at a pro level or something.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    What difference would the type of a calorie make?

If I meet my 0.8-1g/lb for protein and 0.4-0.45g/lb for fat, and fill the 60% of the remaining calories with some complex carbs ( veggies/fruits )

Best advice on filling the remaining 40%? ICE CREAM?

Those remaining calories are often about 300 or 400 calories, and I'm just caught up in :

Ditch the ice cream, take some brown basmati rice and oats. Plus I eat lots of weetabix cereal which seems to be just fine.
  • CptJinxx
    CptJinxx Posts: 81 Member

Im guessing your not a pro body builder, dont sweat the things that make up the small percentage of difference, eat what you want aslong as youve hit your macros and micros.

EDIT: only be concerned about the things that make small differences if you are like, going to compete at a pro level or something.

That's not how I looked at it, especially regarding point 1.
    Maybe if those extra calories came from simple sugars, that would not be a good idea health-wise, long term effects, you know, that kind of stuff, or would it be Okay since they're just 400 cals, that's what I'm talking about. I'm just not sure.
  • FitnessMind_SS
    FitnessMind_SS Posts: 37 Member
    I'd base this on personal preference provided that you're meeting macro and micronutritional needs. You're talking about 300-400 calories, which represents a small percentage of your total calorie intake. I can't think of a reason you'd want to restrict that to brown rice or whatever else.

I'm also not convinced that there will be any noticeable difference in body composition were you to replace that portion of calories with whole food items, again assuming the rest of your diet meets your needs.
  • It won't make a noticeable difference on health; you don't even have to worry about insulin unless:
    1) Your a Pro Bodybuilder
    2) You are a sedentary adult

It's seriously gonna give you 1% difference; ask yourself; is that extra 1% worth it.

Also it probably won't even do that much. When you eat a mixed meal; your fats and carbs and fiber mix with sugars; it makes sugar digest a lot slower, insulin will release slower; and it is not even about insulin; it's about blood sugar; so this isn't even valid; it's rubbish that I wouldn't even allow children to touch and yet people still hold on to it. Insulin is merely the vehicle to drive nutrients into the cells; mainly in the carbs and protein; and if you don't have enough nutrients for that; how the hell are you gonna have a net gain? The tooth fairy? Santa Claus? I will accept the fact that insulin turns on glucose metabolism; rather than fat; but after a few hours or so it's not gonna make a difference because all that blood glucose will be burned off, back to fat burning. Pffft. I don't blame you. I blame the Low carb scoundrels that push this malarkey! If you ask me; both the low carb and low fat crazies should be held in the court of nutrition and tried; imprisoned! If you think I'm tough; join the military, I'm comparatively soft. I'm watching you.

The fat
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Sounds like you are getting some good nutrition from the majority of your diet. Treat yourself if you want.

Unless you have some kind of medical condition dont worry about it.

ETA: FYI the sugar in fruit is simple not complex.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    If you are getting your nutritional needs met with the rest of your diet (from a micro, fiber, protein and fats perspective), then eat what you want (assuming no medical condition) for the discretionary portion. The small possible difference of managing your macros to the nth degree is usually not appreciable, and really not worth worrying about unless you are a competitive athlete, especially at the expense of adherence.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I wish calories were transferable from person to person. I would make a living eating for people who are bulking. Damn, i'd do it for free.