Planet Fitness Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is, they don't twist your arm and force you to eat anything. I mean, you'd think they'd want to since their goal is to keep their patrons fat.

As a supposed gym with "fitness" in their name, do you not see a problem with that statement? This is why Planet Fitness disgusts me (for lack of a better word)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    double post..
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is, they don't twist your arm and force you to eat anything. I mean, you'd think they'd want to since their goal is to keep their patrons fat.

As a supposed gym with "fitness" in their name, do you not see a problem with that statement? This is why Planet Fitness disgusts me (for lack of a better word)

Nope, not at all. You missed the sarcasm in my post. People need to be accountable for their own actions. PF doesn't force anyone to eat anything. It's their gimmick to have pizza nights and bagel mornings. Every gym has their own gimmick, that one works for them. If you don't have self control enough to not eat the pizza, assuming you haven't burned enough calories to sit down and enjoy it guilt free, then don't join PF.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I was a black card member for two years and they promised pizza and bagels and I never once seen it! I purposely went on a Monday night for a slice of pizza before my workout and I got squat:(
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Double Post
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I like mine. For $20 a month, it serves it's purpose for me.

They have free weights and lots of space, they have TONS of ripped, muscly guys that workout there and in 1 year of going there, I have heard the lunk alarm one time. Because a lady was using a machine wrong and was about to break it because she was crashing the weights each rep..

I don't get all the hate on PF, especially on bagels and pizza (IIFYM). For some, it serves a good purpose. It's been great for me for the past year.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

Nope, not at all. You missed the sarcasm in my post. People need to be accountable for their own actions. PF doesn't force anyone to eat anything. It's their gimmick to have pizza nights and bagel mornings. Every gym has their own gimmick, that one works for them. If you don't have self control enough to not eat the pizza, assuming you haven't burned enough calories to sit down and enjoy it guilt free, then don't join PF.

Over 1/3 of Americans are obese, which tells me people don't have self-control. A gym should be the last place contributing to that problem. I'm sorry you don't see a problem with this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I go there and LOVE it so far! The boyfriend gets a tootsie roll every time on his way out :p never understood why they're all over the gym! And I saw them setting up the pizza party one day... Pretty messed up but I just rolled on by.

Because Tootsie Rolls.... they need a reason?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Over 1/3 of Americans are obese, which tells me people don't have self-control. A gym should be the last place contributing to that problem. I'm sorry you don't see a problem with this.

That statement pretends that pizza and bagels are the cause of obesity - what a load of bunk!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    That statement pretends that pizza and bagels are the cause of obesity - what a load of bunk!

You really need to re-read what a wrote.....

...and I'm curious what you think the cause of obesity is in this country, and also why you think a gym serving calorie dense junk food to it's clients is a good idea?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Aren't tootsie rolls really small? Maybe they are there for exercise-induced hypoglycemia, lol.

Pizza is just dinner in these parts ;) One slice or maybe two. Yum! Free dinner right about the time I'd eat it, after lifting heavy. Works for me.

I'll have to check out their weights section. I have one right up the road and $10 is way cheaper than I expected any gym to be. I can't get enough weight on my glute bridges at home, so I'd go just to do those for 10 bucks.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I get it now, I think, having just looked at their website! The 'no lunk' ads (you have to watch them)? The not showing that they have free weights? A reputation of serving junk food? Imho, it's a marketing thing. That's how they get 'no lunks' coming. If people think it's not a serious gym, that avoids the really judgmental types. Ha! That's pretty brilliant.

The question is, how is their equipment? I seriously didn't even know they had free weights.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I'm having pizza for dinner tonight. I don't need PF to supply it to me, when I want it, I get it and eat it.

PF markets to the people who don't want to work out at a gym where there are huge body builders who stand around judging the less than stellar bodies. Not all gyms are that way, but many of them are. I know, I've belonged to a lot of gyms in my life. So marketing pizza and bagels to people who normally would be intimidated by going to the gym is a good thing, in my opinion. If they can't take personal responsibility for what they eat, then the gym isn't going to cause them to over eat or eat poorly. They will already be making those choices without belonging to PF.