Setting A Weight Goal

Options
Hi, I'm 5'1" and started dieting around a couple of months ago. I started out at 9st 9lb and set a goal to reach 8st 7lbs.

I reached that goal last week, but I still think there could be some improvement. I'm losing weight quite quickly, and I don't find my current exercise or diet too difficult or restrictive. I still eat lots of things that I like and occasionally have days where I go out with friends and splurge.

However, I do like to set goals, and I'm tempted to set myself another target weight because it's always nice to have something to aim for. I'm just not sure exactly how much more weight I want to lose. And I'm worried that I'll never be happy with how I look and I'll just keep setting more goals.

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think you have two issues here.

1) Fear of never being happy with your appearance.

You need to get over it. You risk the chance of establishing a nasty eating disorder. I know that's a little extreme....but for some people it becomes very real.

2) Your goals shouldn't be set by others.

Your goals...are just that....your goals. Are you trying to look like a swimsuit model? I mean what do you really want from this diet?

I would recommend getting a digital body fat caliper. This will allow you to set goals in accordance with your body fat % rather than your weight.

You can also set fitness goals. "I want to run a 5k in x amount of time".

Set some short-term goals as well...."I want to lose another 10 pounds" or "I want to fit into a size x dress".

You really need to sit down with yourself.....that may sound odd...and figure out where you want to be.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, about to set a lower weight goal (again). But the number on the scale is just an indicator. If I get rid of the excess flab, I don't really care what the final weight number is.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid to set some performance goals instead of weight based goals. I think you will find them much more rewarding.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would look at reducing your body fat a little instead of losing more scale weight...

and i agree with the other replies that have said to set some fitness goals... do insanity, run a 10k, work towards deadlifting your bodyweight, whatever!
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm setting a fitness goal to be able to run for a longer amount of time at the gym. Sometimes I'm a bit restricted time-wise. I'm thinking maybe I ought to focus more on health as opposed to weight, making sure that I'm eating everything I should be eating.

I guess I do need to "get over it" a little, I do find myself looking at other girls my age and trying to figure out if their legs are skinnier than mine. I know that my body type/genetics means that I'll never have a swimsuit figure. I guess what I really wanted when I started out was to be able to go out in a dress and not have to worry that it was unflattering!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I guess what I really wanted when I started out was to be able to go out in a dress and not have to worry that it was unflattering!

and can you?
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    There was one particular dress I wanted to look good in, but now I've lost weight I can see that the shape of the dress won't suit me regardless, (Plus I seem to have lost a lot of weight from my bust, which hasn't helped). I've been wanting to go dress shopping for a while, but I'm just too broke/busy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love what hwoeltjen had to say. He's spot on.

I suggest you stop comparing yourself to other women and start looking at you and appreciating yourself no matter what.

Don't forget about genetics too. There are some things about our body that we cannot change, such as body frame and proportions. However, we can do the best that we can with what we have.I have always run and walked and done light weight lifting, but I can't tell you the amazing changes I have seen in my body since losing weight and adding serious weight lifting and cycling to my exercise schedule.
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    SLLRunner, I cycle a little on an exercise bike and that has done some pretty amazing things for my thighs so far.

Heavy lifting isn't for me as I have Hypermobility Syndrome in my shoulders and thighs, in fact, I usually have to exclude myself from at least two or three exercises when trying out training videos because of my HMS. Swimming has helped a lot with my shoulders, but my physiotherapist made it very clear that I ought to be careful and that I shouldn't take risks when it comes to lifting or putting pressure on those joints.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Check out : http://www.mybodygallery.com/

Find someone your hight and see what weight you like one them, that's your new goal. It's a lot easier to look objectivly at someone else. When your body is similar to the one you found, you're where you need to be.
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    Check out : http://www.mybodygallery.com/

Find someone your hight and see what weight you like one them, that's your new goal. It's a lot easier to look objectivly at someone else. When your body is similar to the one you found, you're where you need to be.

Thanks! Had a look through it and it's very interesting!