no will power what so ever

Options
so i am really trying to log on to my fitness pal every single day. and iam really trying to log all my foods down everyday . each day i wake up determined to have a good day and really want to loose the weight. however i fail every single day and give into sugary unhealthy foods. its like i must have them. i then feel such a failure and guilty that i cant stick to a diet for one day. anyone else been like this and how have you turned a corner to make a permanent change to succeed. thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a gradual process. Instead of cutting myself off COMPLETELY, I just started cutting them out slowly. If you have no willpower, don't go cold turkey. IMO you're more likely to binge. Taper them off slowly, don't try to completely deprive yourself.

Sooner or later the cravings will diminish a little unless it's your TOM. Then it's hellacious all over again (for some people:smile:)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You're overcomplicating it. Feeling guilty over eating something is counterproductive. Add it to your food diary, and move on. Stay honest, just because you don't log something doesn't mean it doesn't show up on YOU.

Make friends with people who have open diaries, and take ideas on what they're doing for their meals and incorporate that into your lifestyle.

I had to be slapped in the face with diabetes and high blood pressure before I got off my lazy bum and did something about it. I started off small, reducing my sodium intake. As time went on, I found it easier to change more and more things about myself.

Opening my food diary to the public is holding me accountable. Do I want everyone to see me eating 10 candy bars? Heck nah. Will I have one, and make it count towards my total calorie/fat/carb etc goal? If I feel like, yes I will.
  • crobeyc
    Options
    I know this my sound cliche,,but you really take it one day at a time, like i tell my clients at the gym,,remember there's always Monday, meaning as long as you never give up on yourself you can always start again on Monday.
    Hope this helps :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    For me, it was all about readiness. I swore I was done with my weight, I was dying to lose and look good, but I couldn't track calories to save my life. I would lose 10lbs and then give up and gain it back. I did this for years.

This time around, it worked. I was ready to do it and stick with it.

Your intentions may be great but you might not be ready.

Good luck, and I hope you can stick with it!!
    (yes, I understand I may ruffle a few feathers but it is what it is!)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

No, I think you're spot on. If you're not absolutely 100% ready to make a change, it's just going to be that much harder.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Don't want to come across as mean as it is always hard for anyone to adopt new habits but ultimately you just need to do it!

You can read hundreds of success stories & make the most well intended plans but when it comes down to whether you have that 1st treat, 2nd treat, 3rd treat etc there is no one but yourself to hold you accountable. You are going to fail everytime if you can't resolve to stick to the promises you have made to yourself.

If you really find it that difficult then firstly the obvious one is just don't buy anything that will tempt you (may be difficult if you live with others?) just try and not have it in the house. If you are spending time away from home either at work or out somewhere else take food with you that you have already planned and prepared ahead of time only eat what you have packed in your lunchbox, if it helps & isn't too impractical don't take any money with you to work for example, if you can't buy anything you can't eat it.

And just really good luck :flowerforyou: , it is hard to change your habits but it does come down to your own willpower at the end of the day, if you are not prepared to take the action needed to get to where you want to be then perhaps at this point in time you simply don't want it enough to make it happen.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I also tried this and failed... Don't cut yourself off of EVERYTHING at once.. Try cutting out one sugary thing and see how it goes and keep logging no matter what you eat. For me it was Mountain Dew! I lived on that stuff and I have been 30 days free of it (and no bodies in my path YAY!) lol The first few days will be rough (as you already know) but stick with it and you can do it! Don't give up and just focus on one day at a time. Feel free to add me if you need extra support :)
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    For me, it was all about readiness. I swore I was done with my weight, I was dying to lose and look good, but I couldn't track calories to save my life. I would lose 10lbs and then give up and gain it back. I did this for years.

This time around, it worked. I was ready to do it and stick with it.

^^^This ^^^
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options

No, I think you're spot on. If you're not absolutely 100% ready to make a change, it's just going to be that much harder.

Yup. 100% spot on.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree. It is a gradual process.

Also, definitally make friends w/ people who share their diary. Many folks that have been doing this a long time have learned how to satisfy their bodies within the constraints of their diet.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Log food everyday and be honest....I got to the point that I would log before I fixed it and at time I would see the cals and change my mind....
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I never used to log anything when I started this journey but as I changed diet I decided to log it and now it's a way of life, You have to do it so it becomes the norm. Even if you log down crap you have eaten as then you can see what foods are eating into your daily cals so then you become more aware and then you make changes to it. Going cold turkey can be bad as you end up binging mind. Maybe look at IIFYM as it might suit you better.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've read a book called the power of habit. It talks about how we all have will power and it's like a muscle. Some of us... me wear this muscle out early in the day trying to resist so much. Then as the day goes on our will power is worn out and to tired to work for us. I've been working on this principal of not wearing it out. Having preplanned meals and snacks. Hoping that once late afternoon/evening comes I'll be able to resist better.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey! I know it's tough. I used to eat 2 donuts every morning WITH breakfast (not FOR breakfast) and looking back, I can't believe I didn't have more health problems. I saw an awful picture of myself on Facebook and knew I had to change. I cut down to 1 donut per day. Then the next week I got 1 every other day, then the next week I just got one on Friday. As I was weening myself off of the damn donuts, I was also doing my own research on how to shop for/prepare healthy meals and snacks and started bringing my lunch to work every day. I started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and while I could get through less than half of it on the first day, I kept at it and did a little more every day. I noticed changes pretty quickly and it gave me the motivation I needed to keep pushing forward. This all went down August 2012. Now I've been in maintenance for 8 months and while I definitely have my rough patches, it's pretty smooth sailing because I've been practicing lots of new healthy habits.

I will tell you, in the beginning you really have to force yourself. Like another poster said, force yourself to stick to your calorie goals for ONE day. When you wake up the next morning, you will feel like a million bucks and you'll want to do it again. Make sure you treat yourself every now and then, and going over your cals once in a while will NOT ruin your progress! We are all human. You can do this!
  • Justine_JellyBean
    Options
    What really helped me, especially with willpower improvement, was articles like this one: http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/12/29/a-conversation-about-the-science-of-willpower/

Turns out willpower is like a muscle. If you work on it little by little it improves and gets stronger. But it's also something you have to rest from time to time to keep it healthy. When it comes to weight loss there are no finite things that work for every single person other than calories taken in need to be less than the calories expended.

For myself I had to learn to limit snacking and "junk" foods. But I started with really REALLY small goals. I made the third week of every month a "no fast food week" and when I first started working out it was one month at two days a week, the next month three days a week, etc. Taking baby steps made the changes feel gradual and they were easier to stick to.

Remember that one set back or two doesn't mean you can't succeed. "Fall down seven times; stand up eight."
  • wilcope
    wilcope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya babe. Yesterday I had to log pizza, half a can of almonds, and Milk Duds. At least I am getting honest about what I am truly putting in each day. I have to know what I am starting with.
    Also, on my bad days (which has been most of them) there are things I learn. Like I may notice I got too hungry or didn't drink my water.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    I have never met Will Power and doubt that he exists in my universe so I know exactly how you feel.

How about if you don't try to cut anything out but just log honestly for a week or so. Then look back at what you've eaten and see where you can make small changes - like cut out maybe one soda a day. Carry on like that. I think that logging honestly is the key. Then you can see where you can make the changes. Don't try to do too much at once. Start by just getting into the habit of logging honestly.

Whatever, if you meet Will Power will you please tell him that I desperately need him to get in touch with me! :bigsmile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sugary foods? Eat them, track them, stick to your calorie goals, lose weight.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Instead of cutting myself off COMPLETELY, I just started cutting them out slowly. If you have no willpower, don't go cold turkey. IMO you're more likely to binge. Taper them off slowly, don't try to completely deprive yourself.

I was going to suggest the same.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    so i am really trying to log on to my fitness pal every single day. and iam really trying to log all my foods down everyday . each day i wake up determined to have a good day and really want to loose the weight. however i fail every single day and give into sugary unhealthy foods. its like i must have them. i then feel such a failure and guilty that i cant stick to a diet for one day. anyone else been like this and how have you turned a corner to make a permanent change to succeed. thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Well there is your first problem, stop demonizing food group and work on the mental aspect of this journey and learn to portion out those things that you like and fit them into your daily caloric intake and be satisfied... I eat my fair share of chicken breast and veggies but I be darn if I don't get to enjoy a bowl of ice cream or some cookies , etc when I want them.... Best of Luck