I hate the gym!

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on good workout videos I can do at home? The gym intimidates me. So many people running on treadmills and lifting while I'm trying to walk 3+ mph for 1 hr without dying.

Replies

• joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I workout at a Planet Fitness, and for the most part I see everyone taking it easy on the treadmills and not "going all out" in a sense. I'm not a big gym goer and tend to feel uncomfortable, but I've had a positive experience at Planet Fitness!

Best of luck,
    Joanna
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one is judging you. The only way you'll get comfortable at the gym is if you keep going.

I would however suggest that walking on a treadmill for an hour is probably not an optimal workout. What's your height/weight?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity right now which is quite intense.

Initially I started out with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - you need a mat and some light weights for this. This built my endurance for Insanity programs.

A lot of people tend to like T25 and TurboFire programs as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on good workout videos I can do at home? The gym intimidates me. So many people running on treadmills and lifting while I'm trying to walk 3+ mph for 1 hr without dying.
    Don't think that at one time, most everyone there was at the same place at one time or another. People aren't born fit................they had to practice it to get there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While I agree with jonnythan and ninerbuff, if you can't get past that feeling and it's intimidating to the point where you're not going as often as you should, there's nothing wrong with working out at home. Better to do it and be comfortable and get it done consistently!

There are a multitude of workout videos to try. If you really like walking, check out Leslie Sansome's videos, especially those that include some strength work. If you want a bit more of a challenge, check out the Biggest Loser videos or Jillian Michael's workouts. Zumba is pretty popular - I've only tried it once in an actual class but it was pretty fun and I got a good calorie burn. Hip Hop Abs is fun too.

If you're not sure what to go with, check to see what you can find online or through your cable/dish provider's on demand shows. Also check with your local library as they sometimes stock the more popular workout DVDs.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Don't think that at one time, most everyone there was at the same place at one time or another. People aren't born fit................they had to practice it to get there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^ This.

On the rare occasion that I run on the treadmill I guess I'd be one of those people you find 'intimidating', cranking out 7.5 minute miles.

But just a year ago, I was doing Walk/run intervals at 11min/mile and 15min/mile, and frankly I must have looked and sounded like I was going to have a heart attack. I just kept reminding myself that I was doing this for me, not to look good in front of other gym goers. I also reminded myself that truly, no one gave an eff what I was doing - they were just trying to get through their own workouts.

I recently started lifting, and I find myself back in the position of a beginner. It would be easy to be intimidated by some of the guys in my gym. I squat less than one guy bicep curls. At the very beginning I had to do 145lb deadlifts next to a guy deadlifting 765lb. There's a guy who could squat with me standing on his shoulders doing my max 1RM deadlift. They didn't judge or tease me. They are happy that I am on the path, and interested in the same thing they are. I get great information and feedback from them - much more than I'd ever get from a DVD.

Everyone starts somewhere.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I LOVE turbofire. It's the most fun i've ever had working out. I actually look forward to working out when I do TF.

I also like to lift and right now i'm using CLX.

Also a big fan of p90x.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Not everybody loves running. I'd totes walk for an hour. If you don't have the discipline to do the workouts at home, the gym may be very motivating once you get over the initial intimidation. Give it a week. I bet you'll feel better just from handling business.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I caution people to avoid the "temporary trap."

What this means is that to achieve long term success, you need to take a long term view.

I know a lot of people who are in fantastic shape. I know a lot of people who used to be fat and are now in fantastic shape. I know a lot of people who used to be fat and have maintained fantastic shape for years. I also know a lot of people who are not in fantastic shape, despite attempts to get into fantastic shape. Some of those people have achieved fantastic shape but regressed.

Let me tell you something every single one people who have maintained good shape for years all have in common that the people who have failed do not share: none of them started with a temporary plan. None of them. Not one. None of them did P90x, none of them signed up for a gym and went there to run on a treadmill for an hour three times a week. None of them stocked up on Jillian Michaels DVDs. Literally none of them.

That's because those things suck. They're boring. No one plans on doing workout DVDs in their living room for the rest of their lives. No one plans on running on a treadmill four hours a week for the rest of their lives.

No, the successful people all do active things that they genuinely enjoy. Some run because they love running. I hate running. I enjoy tennis and racquetball and lifting weights. Some play frisbee with their dogs. Some just walk on their lunch breaks because they like getting out of the office. Some joined a local recreational Ultimate league. Some have taken up martial arts.

It doesn't matter what you do, to a certain extent. Resistance training/weightlifting is something everyone should do, but that's kind of a different story. The point I'm trying to get across is that if you look at this as "I will do activity X that I don't enjoy for a certain period of time until I lose weight and then life will be rainbows and unicorns forever" then you will probably fail. That's the short-term view. Once you're done making yourself miserable with activity X you will go back to your old ways and go back to looking like your old self.

Take the long-term view. Find things you enjoy. Find things you enjoy.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you're into walking, maybe consider taking it outdoors. There are mental health benefits to being out in the sunlight daily and no one cares how slow you go. Get a dog for company and accountability, or even a human walking buddy.
  • ajmaupin
    Options
    Go until you feel more at ease, you are paying for the gym.

Remember that as long as you are moving and not lounging watching people, the TV, or looking at yourself- you're good and people won't pay attention as they are thinking about what they are doing. Listen to music or do something to distract or like a previous poster said take it outside if you can.

Nothing wrong with working out at home, my boss likes the Jillian Michaels DVDs
  • AngieMFitness
    Options
    Go find some workout DVD's. Look for the dance oriented ones. They're fun, good aerobic exercise that isn't too hard on your body :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by the gym. Get a tour, hire a personal trainer for some sessions, during which s/he can show you how to use the equipment. Bring music you like, or pick a station near a TV with shows you enjoy. Use apps on you phone to keep track of your progress and make it fun.

The overwhelming majority of, if not all gym goers are focused on getting in their workout and getting out.

My gym isn't convenient and I don't get there as often as I'd like but I find I get better workouts when I get to the gym.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options

What this means is that to achieve long term success, you need to take a long term view.

I know a lot of people who are in fantastic shape. I know a lot of people who used to be fat and are now in fantastic shape. I know a lot of people who used to be fat and have maintained fantastic shape for years. I also know a lot of people who are not in fantastic shape, despite attempts to get into fantastic shape. Some of those people have achieved fantastic shape but regressed.

Let me tell you something every single one people who have maintained good shape for years all have in common that the people who have failed do not share: none of them started with a temporary plan. None of them. Not one. None of them did P90x, none of them signed up for a gym and went there to run on a treadmill for an hour three times a week. None of them stocked up on Jillian Michaels DVDs. Literally none of them.

That's because those things suck. They're boring. No one plans on doing workout DVDs in their living room for the rest of their lives. No one plans on running on a treadmill four hours a week for the rest of their lives.

No, the successful people all do active things that they genuinely enjoy. Some run because they love running. I hate running. I enjoy tennis and racquetball and lifting weights. Some play frisbee with their dogs. Some just walk on their lunch breaks because they like getting out of the office. Some joined a local recreational Ultimate league. Some have taken up martial arts.

It doesn't matter what you do, to a certain extent. Resistance training/weightlifting is something everyone should do, but that's kind of a different story. The point I'm trying to get across is that if you look at this as "I will do activity X that I don't enjoy for a certain period of time until I lose weight and then life will be rainbows and unicorns forever" then you will probably fail. That's the short-term view. Once you're done making yourself miserable with activity X you will go back to your old ways and go back to looking like your old self.

Exactly! What do I love to do? Hike! So my fitness program is, you guessed it, hiking! I am in the best shape I have been in, in decades. Lost 65 pounds in the process, and have seen some fantastic scenery. Find what you love. Being in a gym, and not outdoors would be torture for me..
  • danagolding
    Options
    I'm like you. I don't like working out with a bunch of people around me. I used to feel intimidated and every now and then I still do, especially if I'm trying something that I haven't done before but I just get over it and focus on my own thing. I lift weights and when I go to the gym I really don't even notice anyone around me and what they are doing and how much they are lifting. If I'm doing some HIIT on the treadmill after my workout I've usually got my headphones in and I'm in the zone just focusing on getting through my 15 minutes. I don't notice what everyone else is doing. When I see people that look like they might be pretty new to walking/running/lifting whatever I always feel really excited for them and mentally cheer them on and then I go back to my own thing and don't pay much attention to them. If I happen to notice that someone is huffing and puffing and all I've seen them do is walk I'm actually impressed that they are doing something and working to get fit! Its hard to start out both physically and mentally. Honestly, sometimes I think its even harder to workout when you first start and you have that mental hump to get over and your body is out of shape and not used to it. So I applaud them and am in awe of doing it even though its hard. We all had to start at the beginning. No one is just naturally strong and fit.

Some suggestions: Check out a rec center or see if you can find a local gym that isn't a franchise. A lot of times these are less busy and you come to recognize and get comfortable with the other few that go when you do. I go to a rec center. There are some people that seem pretty fit, a good amount of people that seem pretty average/beginner, and quite a few older people that might just go and walk or do something on the machines very slowly and at very low weights. Plus there is a walking/running track upstairs at my gym and there is even a treadmill upstairs near the walking track that's kind of off by itself in a dark hidden nook. If you are able to, try going around 7:00-9:00 am. People are usually at work and things seem to thin out. Someone else suggested walking outside. Fantastic idea! I love taking a good stroll outside. I even try to walk to the grocery store if I only need one or two things just because it feels good to go for a walk! And if right now you just really aren't up to being in public and you would like something very low key try Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. Zumba is lots of fun and you can get DVD's of that. You can start with easy and modify if you need to. I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred before I started strength training and it was a good workout and help me build up some strength, endurance, and confidence. Its more intense than walking but there is a level 1, 2, and 3 and for each level you can modify most moves. You are supposed to use hand weights but you could even start with just your body weight. She also does a 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs approach which kind of helps break things up and it keeps your body guessing. I think the most important thing is that you DO something. Do whatever you can right now and each day try to do a little more. Good luck!
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

Please don't let being self-conscious put you off training. Most - if not all - people in the gym are completely focused on their own form and you could probably drop a nuclear bomb on the place and they wouldn't notice. The moment that you walk into a gym, you are part of the fold, give yourself credit for taking that step to improve yourself :)

I walked into a boxing gym full of professional fighters (now THAT was intimidating!!) and asked the owner to get the beef off me. I got NO disparaging looks or remarks at all. The boxers there were very supportive of me and quite understanding of my then fat *kitten* hehe!

Also, remember this - you are only ever as strong or fit as yourself. It's you that you are there for, not to compete with others :)
  • danagolding
    Options
    THIS!!!! VVVV
    Please don't let being self-conscious put you off training. Most - if not all - people in the gym are completely focused on their own form and you could probably drop a nuclear bomb on the place and they wouldn't notice. The moment that you walk into a gym, you are part of the fold, give yourself credit for taking that step to improve yourself :)

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

'Eh, the flipside to this is that is a failure in goalmaking.

You make the assumption it seems that in the long view goals cease to be relevant, therefore tools only used to reach short term goals should be discarded.

Whereas the thing that most makes one successful long term is the consistency of having goals (they don't need to always be the same goals), moving forward toward reaching those goals. The tools can change with the goals. The challenge of reaching a goal, the game of fitness (working toward a goal using a strategy is a game), is itself enjoyable.

Whereas doing P90X as a lifetime fitness plan isn't a good strategy (though a certain member of the US House seems to think it is); deciding that you'd like to shake up your getting stale routine by dominating the P90X program for the next 90 days before coming up with a new routine is absolutely a good strategy for many long term goals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    'Eh, the flipside to this is that is a failure in goalmaking.

You make the assumption it seems that in the long view goals cease to be relevant, therefore tools only used to reach short term goals should be discarded.

Whereas the thing that most makes one successful long term is the consistency of having goals (they don't need to always be the same goals), moving forward toward reaching those goals. The tools can change with the goals. The challenge of reaching a goal, the game of fitness (working toward a goal using a strategy is a game), is itself enjoyable.

Whereas doing P90X as a lifetime fitness plan isn't a good strategy (though a certain member of the US House seems to think it is); deciding that you'd like to shake up your getting stale routine by dominating the P90X program for the next 90 days before coming up with a new routine is absolutely a good strategy for many long term goals.

Goals cease to be relevant? Absolutely not. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Goals have to have the long term in mind. Too often people look for the quick fix and then don't think about what to do after the quick fix. Someone who ups and decides to lose a bunch of weight with P90x but doesn't think about how they're going to maintain that weight loss is setting themselves up for regaining that weight.

The entire point of my post is to look beyond the quick fixes like workout DVDs and imagine what you will be doing to maintain your success and achieve your long-term goals after you're done with the quick fix. Now skip the quick fix and start doing that stuff now.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

100% this! Find something you love to do long term that you actually enjoy. I thought I would hate exercise and despise the gym, but I went and found an awesome trainer to lift weights with and classes that I actually look forward to going to. Don't let the intimidation in your head prevent you from finding something you can love.