Eating all my calories

Options
2»

Replies

• LogicalReflex
    Options
    The weetabix is high in fibre according to a few people.
    I've been told by some people to add toast too made from brown bread... but would 50/50 work?

And the tuna is high in protein and a really healthy substitute for what I used to eat as I would always eat all microwave stuff.

For the extra things I need like fat etc I get it from chicken/mash etc

I also used to drink fizzy pop non stop. My favorite was DR Pepper and I'd drink 2, 2 litre bottles a day. I now only drink water and the occasional glass of pure orange juice.

Yep 2 weetbix will give you 3.8 grams of fibre (according to their website). I'm not sure what you mean by 50/50 do you mean eat one less weetbix and have a bit of toast instead? Or just have two weetbix and two pieces of toast? It's just more of the same sort of food - ie more wheat.

Lots of different foods give you fibre - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-97294/How-fibre-favourite-foods-contain.html

My suggestion would be to have the weetbix and add a piece of fruit (banana or apple or orange whatever) one day and have toast the next day with a boiled egg or cheese and tomato - just mix it up a bit and make it interesting so you don't get bored.

Agreed tuna is a good source of protein and is yummy - you could switch to brown bread for the sandwiches and if you ditch the packet of crisps you could have a fairly large salad or just add the salad to the sandwich and have a piece of fruit as well - more fibre plus vitamins - especially C which apart from an occasional orange juice I didn't see anywhere in your diet. (And to be honest you'd be better off eating an orange than drinking the juice).

For dinner if you must have chicken dippers (I had to google what they were and they seem to be the chicken equivalent of a fish finger with 900 kilojoules per five dippers (88 grams in weight) - a 105 gram piece of lean grilled rump steak has 777 kilojoules and I know which I'd rather be eating) - I'd have them, less of the wedges/mash and have vegetables (peas,carrots, beans, broccoli, cauliflower etc whatever you want and frozen is fine and really easy to microwave) instead of some of the potato. You should find that you can eat quite a good quantity of vegetables for the same calorie value of the potatoes and these will fill you up so you are less hungry.

Plus you don't mention how you cook the wedges or dippers if you fry them the calorie count goes way up. On their own 100g of plain potato wedges has about 123 calories whereas if you fry them 10 wedges have 281 calories. If you are frying them you could pop them in the oven instead and use the "spare" calories for vegetables fruits etc.

50/50 is a type of bread.
    It's half brown and half white.
    I hate the bits you get in brown bread.

I love bananas and would love to but the whole reason I'm doing this is because my doctor advised me to cut down on my weight and that my blood pressure was quite high. I've been advised to stay away from bananas because they are high in potassium. (It's a shame because bananas are pretty much the only fruit I absolutely love)

Would scrambled egg be fine? I don't like boiled egg but haven't tried scrambled egg yet... And what about an omelette?

I can't stand lettuce so do you have any other suggestions?
    I'm looking to be a bit healthier.

And all the food is oven cooked/grilled.

I tried some tinned carrots and they tasted all salty and nasty lol But I usually love carrots in gravy.
    But yes I'd love to eat some fresh meat such as boneless chicken or a steak lol But the prices in the shops by us are so high... It's like £10 for one steak and £6 for one chicken fillet.
    For the dippers its like £1 a box. But I'll definitely try to buy some fresh meat whenever I have the money.

I'm 6 ft 5 and weigh 18 stone and I'm 18 years old.
    If that will help at all with your suggestions. I'm also a guy.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone already suggested this but I found it to hard to rely on "estimations" on MFP or any other site. So I bought a HEART RATE MONITOR, Mine was 120$ but you can get a cheaper one for 50$ or so. Mine allows me to put in all my stats so my burn estimate is tailored to my body stats. I'd try that. It would take the guess work out of what your burning and makes your numbers easier. I love mine! Also, 1200 seems VERY high, I'm 27 and man I'd be exhausted if I burned 1200 in exercise alone. I did insanity and the most I burned was 750 ever, but I was SPENT after every session!
  • edmarymom
    edmarymom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Logicalreflex who told you that potassium was bad for blood pressure? I hope it wasn't your doctor. Read this -

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Whypotassiumhelps

So really bananas shouldn't be a problem. It's the salt you should be avoiding - another reason to ditch the crisps - they usually have a heap of salt. Just read the label on the packet.

Scrambled egg and omelettes are great food. And you can add tomato or whatever you want to an omelette. Or how about baked beans on toast (just watch the salt and sugar content of the beans) or a banana smoothie if you have a blender (really quick to make too).

50/50 sounds fine - here in Australia we have white bread with added fibre and no bits - your 50/50 sounds like that - if that's what you like then that's what you should eat - there's no point forcing yourself to eat something that you really don't like.

Agree about tinned vegetables -blech, which is why I suggested frozen. What I do with them is put them in bowl cover with cling wrap and nuke until they are hot but still crunchy and sweet - a couple of minutes.

Lettuce can be a bit boring especially iceberg - cos lettuce is better, rocket is spicy and a bit peppery,celery has good crunch value, cucumber and onion go well with tuna. You can even make a salad with raw spinach or silverbeet. And of course tomato (I eat a lot of tomato)

Ouch at the price of meat - I figure that as you talk about prices in pounds that you're in England? If so do you have an Aldi within easy reach? We have Aldi here and they are so cheap compared to other supermarkets - even the meat.

But it doesn't have to be steak - you can do lots with minced beef (eg tacos, spag bol with vegetables in the sauce, homemade hamburgers -again with lots of salad on it etc), and sausages are generally cheap - just beware of the fat content.

The most expensive bit of chicken is always the boneless breast fillet - but whole chickens are usually a lot cheaper - a bit more effort involved here but if you look up on the web at how to joint a chicken it's really not that hard and you could get a few meals out of one chook.

It's just a matter of experimenting and finding what works for you and keeping it interesting so you don't get bored. If you're constantly hungry and bored with what you're eating it's going to be really hard to stick to your eating plan.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I try to eat up all my calories so I'm never in a deficit. if I gain 600 from exercise, I will eat those right up! NOM, NOM, NOM!

The numbers in MFP are all wrong so you don't want to use those. Your burn rate is going to be different than someone else's. I have a Polar heart rate monitor that I use when doing any stationary exercises: lifting weights, push-ups, sit-ups, stair stepping, Insanity etc. Then I have a Garmin 310XT when walking, running or biking. I bought a kitchen scale and measure out all of my food. Prior to getting the scale, I was estimating and was completely off. What I thought was a 4 oz. filet of fish was more like 3 oz. What I thought was a 4 oz. piece of chicken was more like 7-8 oz.

It would do you some good to invest in a kitchen scale and a heart rate monitor.
  • LogicalReflex
    Options
    Logicalreflex who told you that potassium was bad for blood pressure? I hope it wasn't your doctor. Read this -

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Whypotassiumhelps

So really bananas shouldn't be a problem. It's the salt you should be avoiding - another reason to ditch the crisps - they usually have a heap of salt. Just read the label on the packet.

Scrambled egg and omelettes are great food. And you can add tomato or whatever you want to an omelette. Or how about baked beans on toast (just watch the salt and sugar content of the beans) or a banana smoothie if you have a blender (really quick to make too).

50/50 sounds fine - here in Australia we have white bread with added fibre and no bits - your 50/50 sounds like that - if that's what you like then that's what you should eat - there's no point forcing yourself to eat something that you really don't like.

Agree about tinned vegetables -blech, which is why I suggested frozen. What I do with them is put them in bowl cover with cling wrap and nuke until they are hot but still crunchy and sweet - a couple of minutes.

Lettuce can be a bit boring especially iceberg - cos lettuce is better, rocket is spicy and a bit peppery,celery has good crunch value, cucumber and onion go well with tuna. You can even make a salad with raw spinach or silverbeet. And of course tomato (I eat a lot of tomato)

Ouch at the price of meat - I figure that as you talk about prices in pounds that you're in England? If so do you have an Aldi within easy reach? We have Aldi here and they are so cheap compared to other supermarkets - even the meat.

But it doesn't have to be steak - you can do lots with minced beef (eg tacos, spag bol with vegetables in the sauce, homemade hamburgers -again with lots of salad on it etc), and sausages are generally cheap - just beware of the fat content.

The most expensive bit of chicken is always the boneless breast fillet - but whole chickens are usually a lot cheaper - a bit more effort involved here but if you look up on the web at how to joint a chicken it's really not that hard and you could get a few meals out of one chook.

It's just a matter of experimenting and finding what works for you and keeping it interesting so you don't get bored. If you're constantly hungry and bored with what you're eating it's going to be really hard to stick to your eating plan.

I'll give it a read and yeah my doctor told me to ditch bananas and go with another fruit or veg.

Baked beans on toast? lol
    thats healthy? lol
    I love that.

I can't eat cucumber :P but can eat onion if its diced up fine in a curry lol
    I don't actually think we have an aldi nearby I'll have to have a look.

I will definitely attempt some homemade burgers lol
    I'm used to microwave ones.
    I heard sausages were bad for you lol (My girlfriend and my dad etc told me)
    You can buy sausages cheap aswell.

I'll try and buy a few bits of chicken :P
    about 3 should do one meal :P

(Thats the old me)

I'll stick with half of one now.

And yeah I don't mind the weetabix but it doesn't really keep me from wanting to eat... just makes me even more hungry.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep the humble baked bean is a health food

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-369042/The-10-super-foods.html

more reading sorry - there is also more about bananas in the same article.

And another about baked beans

http://www.aww.com.au/diet-health/diet-and-nutrition/2008/8/10-things-you-did-not-know-about-baked-beans/

and

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/resistantstarch.htm - this one is about resistant starch not specifically about baked beans but it turns out beans are one of the best sources of resistant starch.

Sausages do contain a fair amount of fat but you need a certain amount in your diet. Just don't fry them - prick the skin so the fat can drain away and grill them.

I've been known to eat a whopping breakfast of eggs, bacon, tomato, onion, spinach and vegetables - not be hungry enough to eat lunch (have maybe an apple for a snack), then have dinner of say steak and vegetables and still be under my calories for the day and I'm losing weight. But that's me - Like I said it's just finding what works for you.
  • LogicalReflex
    Options
    Will definitely try it.
    I used to eat fry ups but all the stuff was grilled lol
  • LogicalReflex
    Options
    Yep the humble baked bean is a health food

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-369042/The-10-super-foods.html

more reading sorry - there is also more about bananas in the same article.

And another about baked beans

http://www.aww.com.au/diet-health/diet-and-nutrition/2008/8/10-things-you-did-not-know-about-baked-beans/

and

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/resistantstarch.htm - this one is about resistant starch not specifically about baked beans but it turns out beans are one of the best sources of resistant starch.

Sausages do contain a fair amount of fat but you need a certain amount in your diet. Just don't fry them - prick the skin so the fat can drain away and grill them.

I've been known to eat a whopping breakfast of eggs, bacon, tomato, onion, spinach and vegetables - not be hungry enough to eat lunch (have maybe an apple for a snack), then have dinner of say steak and vegetables and still be under my calories for the day and I'm losing weight. But that's me - Like I said it's just finding what works for you.

Just tried scrambled egg and absolutely do not like it lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

It is true that a larger, and less fit person will burn more than a smaller and fitter person. Still be wary though; I'd maybe go for about 2/3 of the amount. Of course, you should be able to tell if it's the right amount over time by whether or not you're losing at the rate you expect to.

^^this.
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    All the advice you are getting is spot on! One thing I have not seen is this. If you plan on making this your new eating plan not just a diet to lose weight, then you need to broaden your food spectrum! If I had had such a limited array of food I would never have been able to stick with this plan for over 2 years! I'm a much older lady (76) but I knew I had about 80 pounds to lose when I first started back in Oct. 2011. For a few months I ate the same thing over and over again, but it began to get old - so I started branching out - looking for healthy foods that were different from what I had been eating. I'm in this for the rest of my life - and I want to enjoy what I am eating as well as lose weight! One of the best ways to get new ideas is to look at the food diaries of your friends. If you are lucky you'll end up with some friends who like to cook and you'll find all sorts off healthy and good food while you're losing weight! You can add me as a friend if you want to see what I am talking about! Good luck on your journey!
  • LogicalReflex
    Options
    I went off the healthy diet today lol
    Ended up eating Two pieces of toast and two weetabix and on the night just I ate meatballs and super noodles.
    (Tinned meatballs) (Packet Noodles)

Tried scrambled egg and hated it.