Fat in Egg Nog

Options
Thought I'd present a Thanksgiving-themed dietary question--about Egg nog! I almost never drink the stuff, but I LOVED it when I was younger. (non-alcoholic, of course). My parents always cut it with milk though to lower the calories. Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I broke down and bought a quart of it and only drink about a half cup (1/4c nog + 1/4c milk) at a time for a treat.

I always have trouble hitting my macro of Fat intake and usually slightly overshoot on carbs (sugar, of course... ). I realized that eggnog is just SO high in fat (with a decent amount of protein, esp when combined with milk), so I was wondering what you all thought of having it more often as a fat suppliment? Don't get me wrong, I eat nuts when I can (daily), but I just can't seem to eat avocados more that maybe once every week or two, so I'm looking for other acceptable sources.

Thoughts? Please be nice, in case you think egg nog is the devil or something. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Fat is not a challenge for me. If it is for you, and you like egg nog, enjoy it. If you want to manage the sugar, you might consider a nog or recipe that uses an artificial sweetener. Though artificial sweeteners are, indeed, the devil.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    If it fits, do it! Thank you for posting this and reminding me to pick some up. Love me some egg nog!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love Egg Nog :drinker:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    I want a rum and egg nog RIGHT NOW!
    ITS NOON SOMEWHERE!
    oh who the hell cares what time it is...
    I WANT ONE!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fat is delicious and nutritious. Don't worry about the fat content unless it prevents you from hitting your other nutrition goals, such as protein, calorie, or fiber intake.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    mmmm now I need to buy some egg nog! I always do half egg nog half milk though, it's too thick for me!
  • firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    I want a rum and egg nog RIGHT NOW!
    ITS NOON SOMEWHERE!
    oh who the hell cares what time it is...
    I WANT ONE!

Lol, I hear ya. Now if I could just get my husband to leave me some!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Carton egg nog? No, thanks.

Try Paula Deen's recipe - it's killer. Possibly literally considering the stuff is all egg yolks and heavy cream, but it is AWESOME. We make it for our annual Christmas Eve party and it's always the first thing to go. You do need to be careful not to whip the cream too thickly or you'll have trouble getting it out of the glass. That won't stop people, though - one year we had guests sticking their fingers in to scoop out every last bit :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What do I think? I think you are probably one of the most brilliant people on the face of this earth, and if you havent been nominated for a Nobel yet then there is something wrong with people!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I'll have trouble hitting my fat macro when I'm eating a lot of turkey. Egg nog with a little bourbon and a dusting of nutmeg on top will be perfect.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yummy! :drinker: