Keep falling off. Need motivation!

Options
I'm 5'5" and weight 250lbs. I was doing really well this summer on working out and was losing weight. But a recent bout of very bad depression hurt my working out and eating properly. When I'm down I turn to food for comfort. I'm ready to change my life just need some motivation.
I started at a 1400 calorie diet but my blood sugar crashes were making me sick. So I upped it to 1800. I'm doing better. Still get very weak sometimes. I'm not diabetic but have always had issues with blood sugar crashes. What are some healthy options for me to help?
I have been eating some organic foods and seem to feel more satisfied from eating vegetables. But what can I eat that is more filling? By dinner time I'm starving and over eat and end up sick. My body doesn't seem to be adjusting to well.

Replies

• ganzfett
    ganzfett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and lots of it...
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    At 250 lbs, you can probably eat more than 1,800 calories and still lose weight. You're probably not eating enough food. If you are having blood sugar crashes, you could be close to developing diabetes. You need to get the depression under control first. It is very difficult to live a healthy lifestyle while having depression.
  • Brandonalex15
    Brandonalex15 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I weigh 167 and a for me is maintaining is 2800 calories so since im trying to loose i eat about 2000 .your 250 lbs so you can def eat more than 1800. I would say , ATLEAST 2500 if you want to loose . Cus i weigh less than you and i eat more than you , yet im stiill loosing weight . So yeah bud bump ur cals to 2500 . Noo More than 2700 & you be fine
  • Kris1817
    Options
    You might want to look at how you are breaking down your calories. If you are having sugar crashes you might want to look into eating smaller portions more often. I eat every two to three hours. I will be honest it is not by choice but because of a condition that I have to ensure that I have consistent intake but I have found that it cuts down on the hunger BIG time. Plus it helps with the will power. If you know that you are eating in an hour its easier to stick to portions. Plus I have found that my boyfriend (he has type 1 diabetes) has benefitted from it as well. When I get him to eat my diet, his sugars are much more consistent and it helps how he feels. Also you should really figure out what you should have as a calorie intake. This post helped me with that. At first I was eating too little and it was causing headaches and just an overall awful feeling.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • iwanttobefit4me
    iwanttobefit4me Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting in some protein shakes to help with curbing the hunger. Not only will it help with the weight loss but will help you after you work out as well. But I suffer with depression as well and I agree with an earlier comment - getting the depression under control will work wonders for you because it is hard to fight the weight and then still fighting on the blues as well. Once I was able to find out the true reason as to why I turned to food and face those issues then I could really deal with myself fully. Now I look forward to exercising and it feels good. My mood is better. Partner up with a workout buddy as well will help with the weight loss as well.

Hope this helps some and wishing you the best of luck. God knows I can relate to both issues you are dealing with. :) Hang in there!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm same height as you and lost 30 pounds last year so i was about where you started. i also did 1800 calories as a minimum and ate back my exercise calories.

are you vegetarian?

if not add in more calorie dense foods with protein and good fat. eggs, chicken thighs, ground turkey, avocadoes, nuts, smoked salmon are all good.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    First off, you are strong and courageous! Asking for support is wonderful and knowing that you have gotten up to try again is very important. To blood sugar issues...How often are you eating? Would you benefit from eating 5-6 smaller meals during the day to help stabalize your blood sugar and hunger pangs, maybe adding in a Quest Bar or protein shake, for 160 to 200 calories between lunch and dinner? Have you considered talking to a nutritionist as you've had these sorts of issues for a longer period of time? Be well and best of luck!
  • annerae1
    Options
    Up your protein intake. Have protein with every meal and snacks.. Try using Quinoa . It is very high in protein.. I use it to replace oatmeal and rice. I also put it in with fruit and yogurt for a snack.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    choose better food choices to avoid blood sugar "crashes" i used to get the occasional 'crashes' and feel absolutely miserable and shakey and nauseated, then i pinpointed what caused it - i wasn't eating enough protien and fiber these take the body longer to breakdown so your satisfied longer. also i would crash after eating sugar or hot liquids such as hot chocolate. -- by making better choices of foods i don't get the crashes.

i too keep falling off - i don't suffer from depression so i don't know that side of it - but i am my own worst enemy when it comes to weight loss, because i would rather have fun and be care free and have a few cocktails - than to count calories and eat right and workout. when i am counting calories and working out i do awesome at losing weight. --

don't worry that you keep falling off -- only worry when you don't get back on.
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and weight 250lbs. I was doing really well this summer on working out and was losing weight. But a recent bout of very bad depression hurt my working out and eating properly. When I'm down I turn to food for comfort. I'm ready to change my life just need some motivation.
    I started at a 1400 calorie diet but my blood sugar crashes were making me sick. So I upped it to 1800. I'm doing better. Still get very weak sometimes. I'm not diabetic but have always had issues with blood sugar crashes. What are some healthy options for me to help?
    I have been eating some organic foods and seem to feel more satisfied from eating vegetables. But what can I eat that is more filling? By dinner time I'm starving and over eat and end up sick. My body doesn't seem to be adjusting to well.

Same here! I had to seriously overhaul my thinking - it's ok to eat more. As long as its the right foods. Stuff yourself with healthy things, and you're too full to eat the wrong things. Eating unlimited nutrient dense healthy foods for at least 12 weeks is a metabolism reset. You might put on a little scale weight, but it won't be fat. It's water weight. Once you're done, go back down to 1800 and the water bloat will melt right off - plus some ;) Plus, the information at http://thebailorgroup.com/ helped me out too. I barely exercise. I'm focusing on eating right.

Best of luck!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    protein and fat do wonders to satiate you
  • breezywillbskinny
    Options
    I need help too :)
  • breezywillbskinny
    Options
    Scook038 add me we both are in the same page :")
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    we are the same height and I started out with way more weight.. but have lost 56 lbs, so far, since January. And, I too am fighting depression, (lost my independence, my home and my car) but exercise is one of the main things that is helping me fight it. You have to find one that you love though, then it doesn't feel iike exercise.

If you are crashing, you are going to need to eat every 3 hours, so that that does not happen. You have lots and lots of support here. Use them. You can add me if you would like!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and weight 250lbs...I started at a 1400 calorie diet but my blood sugar crashes were making me sick. So I upped it to 1800.

Your BMR is going to be around 1350 calories/day. There is no physical reason why 1800 calories/day should be too little for you. If you open your diary, it might be possible to see if there is a more "filling" selection of food that can be recommended.