Losing weight but keeping my curves

Options
I'm 5'2 and weigh 183 lbs. I know, overweight. I have hips and a but and I want to keep those while getting my tummy flat and my thighs smaller. My boyfriend loves my curves and tells me I'm perfect the way I am but I want him to be able to touch a flat tummy when were cuddling or when we get intimate. I want this for myself, but I REALLY want to impress him.

So what exercises do I do and what food do I eat!?

Replies

• Shateyn
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. If you want to lose fat off of your stomach it can only occur through fat loss which means losing from your entire body. Yes, this includes hips and boobs. In fact, for women hips and boobs are usually the first to go as we like to maintain fat around our mid section.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It should be entirely for yourself and not for another person.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Body fat will come off when and where it wants to and you cannot spot reduce. Set reasonable goals (calorie deficit for weight loss), log accurately, weigh everything, and exercise for fitness.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. If you want to lose fat off of your stomach it can only occur through fat loss which means losing from your entire body. Yes, this includes hips and boobs. In fact, for women hips and boobs are usually the first to go as we like to maintain fat around our mid section.

This, however, you could still be curvy when you reach your goal weight, just smaller curves.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can't pick where weight comes off. I'm sure your boyfriend will be happy with your body after losing. If you want to lose weight, do it and be happy with yourself.

As far as what to eat? Eat whatever you want, just less of it. Figure out your TDEE, subtract 20% and don't eat over that amount in calories. In regards to working out......it depends on what you like. I personally think strength training/weight lifting is awesome and feel like my body looks much better doing it. (tighter, more "toned" and not flabby)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm 5'4. I run and lift heavy. I have not lost my boobs or hips/*kitten*. I have kept the curves I've always had, they just look better now.

You will have to find what works for you to lose weight, but you won't be able to spot reduce.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

This, however, you could still be curvy when you reach your goal weight, just smaller curves.

exactly. if you are naturally curvy then that's what you're always going to be. weight loss doesnt change genetic code
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

exactly. if you are naturally curvy then that's what you're always going to be. weight loss doesnt change genetic code

Technically, I was a stick before and have curves now, but then I was anorexic before and now I eat, so that could be why...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you have curves now, not rolls of fat, you may still have curves when you lose weight. When I'm thin I'm a stick and when I'm fat I'm a stick with a big belly so if you're curvy now you may be curvy later. We really don't get a choice in the matter.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs total in the past few years (I've took time off to have another baby and then dealt with depression) and I can sat that your body will still have curves. If you have them now, and real curves not jus fat flaps, then you will have them when you are smaller. I like mine better now, the curve of my hips is more pronounced, the roundness of my booty, being a smaller size will really emphasize the natural shape of tour body.

Food and exercise?? Just eat what fits in your calorie goal, eating healthier food choices mean you can eat more, and overall be healthier. But do not be afraid to eat some of what you want, today I had pizza at our office lunch. Strength training will be beneficial to making sure you are retaining as much muscle as possible, but the important thing is just to find something you like and do it.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Dance
    and alot of protein and fiber! Watch carbs!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It should be entirely for yourself and not for another person.

Well this isn't ALWAYS the case. True, you should do it for yourself first (like the OP said she is), but everyone has different reasons. Sometimes people need an external motivation. Personally, I want to get healthy first for myself and second for my future family. That's just as important. :)

OP, it's correct that spot reduction doesn't work (which stinks), but if you lose overall and do so in a healthy way, you can still maintain curves. Find an exercise you enjoy and stick to it--be sure to eat a healthy, balanced diet, too. As you lose weight, you can continue to strengthen your body which will let you maintain curves, but they'll be firmer and healthier. :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've got exactly the same inch difference between my waist and hips as I did 70lbs heavier. My curves have stayed the same, just got smaller.

Personally I've done a variety of exercise - Zumba, spinning, weight training, aerobics, step aerobics, boxercise, core stability etc - and aimed for higher protein and lower carbs.

Feel free to look at my diary, it's open, although I'm nearly 20 weeks pregnant now, so my eating isn't quite as good as it was, so it might be best to go back a bit :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your shape is defined by bone structure but also muscle and fat mass distributed throughout the body. You want to reduce fat mass volume while preserving as much muscle mass volume as possible to maintain most of your curves and have a firmer physique. To accomplish this, eat at a moderate calorie deficit, engage in resistance training of adequate frequency, load and volume and consume about 100% of your lean mass (in lbs) of grams of protein.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This is almost what I wanted to achieve when I started my weightloss journey.
    Yes, your curves will be slightly reduced (I mean, even boobs) but at the same time, curves are not just fat masses. They're there because that's how you're shaped. So, weight loss will mostly happen when you have most fat accumulated, but it's not going to change your shape completely.
    Some people happen to realize they had a different shape underneath after LOTS of kgs lost, but for most of us it doesn't happen.
    I've lost some weight and my shape didn't change, I still have my "curves" (well I still have fat anyway but you know what I mean) even though there are some spots in which the weightloss is less noticeable.
    Don't be afraid, weightloss is probably not going to affect your curves! Just try to keep it healthy, find some exercised to tone up whatever you want to re-define... unless you get underweight I'm sure you'll still keep your curves!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAINING for sure!!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Ah, well, good luck with that...we don't get to choose where we lose the fat or where we keep it!
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    She is. Her boyfriend told her that she is fine the way she is.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Your curves won't disappear, especially if you strength train. I'm definitely on the curvier side as well and squats very quickly take my booty from good to great. And yeah my boobs have shrunk but since the rest of me has too it looks proportionate. I was about your size, now am 156 and I went from a D to a C. Been smaller too and I know they don't really get smaller than that. No biggie.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and weigh 183 lbs. I know, overweight. I have hips and a but and I want to keep those while getting my tummy flat and my thighs smaller. My boyfriend loves my curves and tells me I'm perfect the way I am but I want him to be able to touch a flat tummy when were cuddling or when we get intimate. I want this for myself, but I REALLY want to impress him.

So what exercises do I do and what food do I eat!?

He is already REALLY impressed by you and tells you this by saying he thinks you are perfect just as you are. Believe him.

An almost instant way to get a flat tummy is to be lying down when you get intimate.