frustrated

Options
My name is Erika, I am 24. In the last year I gained 20-25 lbs. I started a routine of walking my dog on a brisk walk 1-2 miles per day. I hula hoop with a water weighted hula hoop for 30 minutes, I do 50 jumping jacks, 50+ crunches and I alternate what kind of crunches, I do 15 standard push ups, I do 20 squats, one minute wall sits, mountain climbers.. and more. I keep increasing with each thing as my endurance increases. I also am renovating a home, and doing lots of house work. I don't sit around much. I eat home made meals every day and I add lots of veggies and cut out bad things like butter and other fattening junk. I only drink water and the occasional juice. I have not lost a single pound or toned up. I have been at this for months. I have never had a weight issue.. and I suddenly put a bunch on at once. They ruled out health problems and I have ruled out my diet being the issue. My doctor even agreed that my eating habits are excellent. I can't seem to gain muscle or lose weight.. any thoughts? I will start running again when I can setup my treadmill but I replaced running with brisk walks due to my dislike for running on concrete.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Even if you're eating "healthy", home cooked meals...if you're eating too much, you'll gain weight. If you aren't losing, eat a little less.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    So your food is healthy and you exercise regularly. But no weight loss or toning is apparent.
    I know firsthand that even though one is eating very well, one's weight can stabilize at a certain point no matter how "good" we are at sticking to it.
    I've been hovering at the same weight for almost a year, which is about 10 pounds from goal weight. Like you, I eat very well and have a clean bill of health from the doc. My eating habits have not changed in 2 years. Unlike you, I don't exercise often or regularly. That said, for the past 6 months or so, I have basically been maintaining, with moderate effort. Which tells me that, even though I'm eating very well, I'm probably eating more than I need, and will have to either step up my exercise (ain't gonna happen, most likely) or cut back my intake. Even healthy food can be too much food. I eat about 1300-1500 cals/day on average.
    Since we can't see how many calories you are eating daily, or how well you are eating, it is hard for us non-medical, untrained MFP'ers to give you any useful advice.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If health issues have been ruled out, literally the only possibility is that you're eating at maintenance or a surplus of calories. The food can be healthy all day long but if you're eating too much of it, weight loss is impossible.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Very simple answer, you're eating too much to lose weight. It doesn't matter if it's celery or sugar cookies, if you aren't burning more calories than you are eating, you won't lose weight or body fat. Start counting calories and make sure you are eating at a deficit.
  • emzibelnik
    Options
    I have cut my calorie intake by more than half. I have not lost a single pound since I gained twenty. It is weird. I put on twenty pounds in a matter of a month and it doesn't come off. I went from not exercising and eating junk at 128lbs.. to eating healthy, eating less, and exercising at 148. My self esteem is decreasing by the day along with my motivation because I hate exercising and I have been dedicated and cannot shed a pound. Are there any good exercises that shed the most stubborn weight? I keep going to the doctors for answers and they cannot give me anything to go on.
  • emzibelnik
    Options
    Even if you're eating "healthy", home cooked meals...if you're eating too much, you'll gain weight. If you aren't losing, eat a little less.

By healthy I mean lots of veggies, no crazy additives, a lot of proteins ranging from nuts to meats, I cut out a lot of red meats, no butter, eat a grapefruit or other fruits/veggies for snacks, I measure my foods to recommended serving sizes.. I snack on small things like nuts instead of chips. I don't eat junk food, I cut out almost all breads and things of the sort.. I don't eat several hours before bed.. I eat when I wake up to start my metabolism right..

The most unhealthy treat I have are dark chocolate covered coffee beans and I only have two or three in the evening just to try and give myself something enjoyable. I have been extremely strict with foods. I grew up in an Italian family that always ate a mountain of food.. my caloric intake is less than half of what it was.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

By healthy I mean lots of veggies, no crazy additives, a lot of proteins ranging from nuts to meats, I cut out a lot of red meats, no butter, eat a grapefruit or other fruits/veggies for snacks, I measure my foods to recommended serving sizes.. I snack on small things like nuts instead of chips. I don't eat junk food, I cut out almost all breads and things of the sort.. I don't eat several hours before bed.. I eat when I wake up to start my metabolism right..

The most unhealthy treat I have are dark chocolate covered coffee beans and I only have two or three in the evening just to try and give myself something enjoyable. I have been extremely strict with foods. I grew up in an Italian family that always ate a mountain of food.. my caloric intake is less than half of what it was.

I put healthy in quotes not to insinuate you weren't eating the correct foods, I put it there because I don't really think there are healthy and unhealthy foods, and I personally eat a lot of the foods considered unhealthy. Just had three pieces of pizza, in fact.

but really.....if you aren't losing, you're not eating at a deficit. It's that simple. Do you weigh & measure your food? You're likely eating more than you think.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have cut my calorie intake by more than half.

How do you know that?
  • emzibelnik
    Options
    I have cut my calorie intake by more than half.

How do you know that?
    I have monitored it for almost two years. I gained the weight (all 20lbs) in February 2012. I track it daily and since then I hate cut it in more than half. I was quite the hog with a fast metabolism. But since February (when I gained the 20) I haven't gained additional or lost. :(
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "monitored" means. Can you open your diary?
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Cutting your intake in half isn't really that much info to go on. You could still be eating at a surplus, even if it's less calories than your usual. What is your TDEE? What calorie limit did mfp set for you? Eating less means nothing if you're still not in a deficit. If you aren't losing weight, you are eating too much. Exercise won't make you lose weight unless you're in a caloric deficit.
  • michaelalalalala
    Options
    i find sometimes even when i'm eating healthy i will sit at the same weight for a while.. so i mix things up. if i haven't been doing much cardio (and by cardio, i mean running/cycling - not walking) i go for a few runs, 2 shorter runs with intervals and one longer run in the week, and after 2-3 weeks i usually start to see a difference again. however i'm not longer aiming to "lose weight" - i want my body fat % to go down.. i've realised weight doesn't actually matter at all.

and if you aren't toning you may need to start doing weights, not just bodyweight exercises? they have made the hugest difference to my journey so far!