The benefit of walking

Options
13»

Replies

• ohellotheresa
    Options
    I love walking because I can do it even if I'm tired and I generally feel good afterwards.
    but if I'm reallllly tired I just sleep :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Do what works for you and ignore all this stuff about running being better. Any movement is better than none a nd we all need to start somewhere :-)

Yep. Exactly this.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It's kind of sad if you used to believe the 'roughly 100 calories per mile, regardless of speed' thing. At that Runners World net calories formula I only burn about 48 per mile and if I add my BMR/min. est, it only goes up to 67 or so. But in their estimator for gross calories, it suggests I'd burn like 91 per mile. I guess the estimates were made around a larger BMR assumption.

It doesn't really matter, I burn what I burn. I'm not getting into the "poor little old me who can't eat more" because a deficit is a deficit. I don't need to 'eat more', I need less food overall and that's ok. It's convenient and cheaper, that's for sure.

I need to eat more so ii won't be hungry. This weekend I am travelling and sitting a whole lot and no workout--I barely get enough calories to be almost satisfied. Plus I am stuck eating high cal restaurant food which makes it even harder! So high calorie burn is important to me!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love walking.
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Finding it a little difficult to get motivated when it's dark by the time I get home from work. I need my own little sunshine to carry around with me. :smile: