Did you have a timeframe in mind?

Options
When you first started on this path, did you have an ideal timeframe for your goal? Will you meet that, or has it altered to a more realistic/ doable one?

Mine was 25 kg in 365 days, but I've pushed it out to 30 kg in that timeframe. I'm at 28 lost right now and the signs are good for another drop this weekend, so I think I'll make it. It's day 335 today.

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My goal is 60 lbs by the beginning of August. I started in August 2013 and it looks like I will make it without difficulty.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I did not have a timeframe in mind. I just set what I thought was a reasonable goal and decided that any loss was a good loss, no matter how long it took. Nobody had a gun to my head!! LOL!! I've tried hard to be patient with this process. I lost a lot of weight very quickly many years ago, by taking phentermine, and that was not a good way to go about it. I gained all the weight back. I wanted to do it the right way this time so I've had to set realistic expectations and goals. I've been at this for about 14 months now and I have lost nearly 53 lbs. I still have about 11 lbs left to lose to reach my current goal but I am not stressing about the timing. I'm just focusing on the downward trend more than anything.

All that being said, I have set some mini-goals with timing involved. For example, I realized this past weekend that I am really close to getting under 160 lbs. I wanted to achieve 159.whatever by this morning. That didn't quite happen...I weighed in at 160.2 lbs. In spite of that, I wasn't upset about not quite reaching the milestone. I felt really good about the progress I've made and the fact that I did lose about .4 lbs, even if it wasn't as much as I would have liked. Again, it's the downward trend for me. Best of luck on your journey!!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    My goal is 60 lbs by the beginning of August. I started in August 2013 and it looks like I will make it without difficulty.

yeah you will x
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I did not have a timeframe in mind. I just set what I thought was a reasonable goal and decided that any loss was a good loss, no matter how long it took. Nobody had a gun to my head!! LOL!! I've tried hard to be patient with this process. I lost a lot of weight very quickly many years ago, by taking phentermine, and that was not a good way to go about it. I gained all the weight back. I wanted to do it the right way this time so I've had to set realistic expectations and goals. I've been at this for about 14 months now and I have lost nearly 53 lbs. I still have about 11 lbs left to lose to reach my current goal but I am not stressing about the timing. I'm just focusing on the downward trend more than anything.

All that being said, I have set some mini-goals with timing involved. For example, I realized this past weekend that I am really close to getting under 160 lbs. I wanted to achieve 159.whatever by this morning. That didn't quite happen...I weighed in at 160.2 lbs. In spite of that, I wasn't upset about not quite reaching the milestone. I felt really good about the progress I've made and the fact that I did lose about .4 lbs, even if it wasn't as much as I would have liked. Again, it's the downward trend for me. Best of luck on your journey!!

fair enough... i had little mini things, and obviously i've already surpassed my initial goal, i just decided a timeframe would keep me more focused. It works for some, not for others.

You're doing great!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I had one that I knew was imposible which was 75lbs in 4 months. I have to admit I'm gonna come pretty close to it though. My overall date hasn't changed I want to be at my goal of 150 down in 9 months.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started here in September with a goal to lose 16lbs by Christmas.

I reached my goal last week. And am setting a new goal to lose another 7lbs by march 2014.

These last 7 pounds will be difficult to shift but I'm allowing lots of time to achieve it.

Congrats of your weightless, you look fab :)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I started here in September with a goal to lose 16lbs by Christmas.

I reached my goal last week. And am setting a new goal to lose another 7lbs by march 2014.

These last 7 pounds will be difficult to shift but I'm allowing lots of time to achieve it.

Congrats of your weightless, you look fab :)

thanks! well done to you too. If you're like me those last ones go up and down and protest, but eventually succumb. I have 2 kg left which is about 4.5 lb.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I aimed for 100 pounds in 1 year. I lost 97 pounds in a year. I've gone on to lose another 36 pounds without any timeframe in mind.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started back on MFP in mid-May, with the goal of losing 65 pounds by the summer of 2014. At this point, I'll have no problems meeting that goal. (I think, I hope!) I have set some mini-goals along the way--get to 150 by Christmas (maybe?) and run my first half-marathon next April. After Christmas, I'll probably set a new goal, probably relating to strength training/losing inches.
  • stryder2807
    stryder2807 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did not have a time frame in mind. Now I want to be at my goal weight by the end of this year.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    my goal is 100 in a year. ive lost 50 in four months. but its slowed considerably.

First month: 20 pounds
    Second month: 12 pounds
    Third month: 9 pounds
    and
    Fourth month: 7 pounds
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I originally thought it would take me a year to lose 100lbs. Today I'm at 425 days and 94 lost and figure the last 6 lbs will take another 2-3 months. It's definitely not the end of the world that it took longer than I planned.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I signed up on August 25 and planned to lose 10 kg (22 pounds) by Christmas. And I think I'll be there by Christmas!
    A timeframe is helpful for me, it motivates me.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    so much achievement, smashing of goals, and forward planning evident here :) love it.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a timeframe, but a year would have been nice. I went down, then up, then back down, and now am trailing back up because I'm pretty close to my loss goal.

if I had really really really been working hard, I could have lost it much, much faster and kept it off, but I'm pretty lazy. Hopefully getting back on the wagon next week, getting back into the workout regimen and getting to my goal before new years.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly I didn't have a timeframe in mind, because I didn't totally believe that this would "work".

My entire adult life my weight has usually been around 260-270 lb or so. When I've gone much higher than that I would exercise more and eat less and get back to 260s but never lower.

So when I joined MFP on March 25 of this year I just thought "hey I'll give this a shot, it would be cool to get to 220 lb" (because my previous low weight as an adult was 227)

I reached that goal around the six month mark and reset my goal to 199, a weight I have not seen since 1991 when I was 15 yrs old. I hoped to hit that goal by March 25, but now it looks like I'll probably hit it in January. I am totally happy with that.

I know progress can slow down the closer you get to your ultimate goal. I don't have an ultimate goal, but I'm thinking one year from now I would like to be somewhere around or below 180. For me I don't think that will be too difficult to achieve although a year ago I would have been shocked that I'm at 208 right now. :-)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I aimed to lose 40 lbs in a year, because I knew I had gained 40 lbs in a year. I extended my goal (without any deadline in mind), once I realized that I would actually attain the 40 lbs lost.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Mine was to be at goal now!
    It's been 15 months since I had my little one...I've still got a way to go :sad: making time frames for me doesn't help, unfortunately.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes and no. i like races, even from the beginning. i remember signing up for my first race ever, a obstacle course race called Rugged Maniac. It was just a 5k, but i wasn't really a great runner. so i started to up my running because i wanted to be ready.

i still love to sign up and do competitions, because for me it's not really about the weight or the size clothes i wear, but about the performance on race day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight after my 2nd baby (born May 2011) and I wanted to look good to be a bridesmaid the following April, but I didn't have a specific weight in mind.

Another goal was to get into my pre-pregnancy jeans, but I didn't have a timeframe.

Anyway, I got into the jeans, then the jeans fell down, so I got into my even smaller jeans I'd kept from years ago. I went from 220 to 154.

Now I'm pregnant again, and those original pre-pregnancy jeans still fit me at nearly 20 weeks pregnant!

So, now my goal is to not have put on too much weight when this baby is born! (Due Easter Sun. April 20th).